Logging

creativestuff

OK, I'm a noob.  Maybe I don't know how to work this.  I signed up for Auto Test.  It does the first test which is followed by the scheduled time of the next test.  And that stays there.  The time never changes, the next test never happens except when I force it (Force Re-Test).

Now my whole purpose in trying to create this log is because my ISP seems to be going on and off, every few minutes.  I would like to get a logging of those outages (which Time Warner representatives deny exist, of course).  Instead, when I force re-test, testmy will wait, 30 seconds, 45 seconds (the duration of the outage), then jump into the test when it can make contact again.  It logs it as a successful contact, rather than logging its inability to contact for the period of time.  By the way, I go to the force re-test button WHEN I sense that I am in another one of these outages (when lightweight contact features stop working).  How do I log the outages?

Maybe it is doing something in the background, I did show a listing of results.  The page never advances.  And critical to the results I wish to demonstrate, it apparently just waits during the downtime until it can make contact.  So it logs as being a good connection even though it repeatedly waits through (the constant) 2 minute outages to start the test, not logging the outages.  Because the page never advances unless I force retest, I can't see any of this in action.  I force it during an outage (when I know one is happening) and watch testmy wait.

@creativestuff - I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Auto Test feature was designed to gather performance results over time, not to diagnose resilliancy problems.

How are you connected to your gateway device - wired or wireless?

If I suspected that my ISP's equipment was intermittently failing, I would perform a traceroute to something (say, 8.8.8.8 ) when it was working, from that determine what public address is the first "hop" after my own equipment, and then monitor that public address from a different ISP's connection, or perhaps from a friend/family member in a different location who shares my ISP, but is not having problems.