Holy blast from the past!

xs1
Go to solution Solved by mudmanc4,

I'd open that forum back up but SMF has major spam issues... bots are already hovering over that 24/7, trying everything they can to join and post. Maybe one of these days I'll see what can be done to reopen that forum for fun.

An idea might be to install a VM somewhere of pfsense and run everything through that instance. With a small amount of adjustments, it is possible to eliminate 90+% of that spam. I put something like this together for a local forum last year and I've not had to revisit that client for complaints since. Just a thought. 

Of course I'm sure there are more pressing idea's you have been working on. 

I'd open that forum back up but SMF has major spam issues... bots are already hovering over that 24/7, trying everything they can to join and post. Maybe one of these days I'll see what can be done to reopen that forum for fun.

I'd be SO game for that :P I miss that forum. Miss SHUG & vanburen too! :(

Edited by xs1

I'll work on bringing that back to life for you ;) --- thanks for the suggestions mudmanc4, definitely can't just flip the switch on that.... within a couple of days it would be overrun with spam posts. I see the bots trying all day long, damn robots and their nonexsistent sleep schedules. :-P

You can login with your old .s1 username by the way. I have registrations turned off but old members can still sign in. Once registrations are turned back on... who knows, maybe it will get hoppin' again. :-/ All the old permissions still exsist so you're still a Global Mod there too.

Now that it's been totally separated from the testmy.net domain I'm not as worried about changes over there affecting the overall scheme or search ranking... so I have no problem opening it back up. I'll do the least amount possible to make sure that spammers aren't such an issue while still maintaining the original look and feel.

I'll update this thread soon.