Couple more questions from a newbie

bretherton

A couple of questions which just go to prove the depths of my ignorance :-)

1.  Does the particular DNS selected in either my chosen browser or my Verizon FIOS router affect the results in any way?

2.  What is the "Compare to Verizon FIOS Speed Test Log" telling me?  What am I comparing?  What is the FIOS speed test log?  

Thanks.

1. Technically, no. However, foul DNS can cause significant latency initially depending on the ability of the target DNS server to locate the resource record for the chosen destination, as well as DNS injection can cause you to be directed to locations that are not your intended destination. I recommend using Google's DNS 8.8.8.8. I use 4.2.2.2 but apparently there's an article out there claiming not to. You can also use 208.67.222.222, or 208.67.220.220. (I typically setup all four, 8.8.8.8 -> 4.2.2.2 -> 208.67.222.222 -> 208.67.220.220.)

2. That's the list of tests done by other users/connections/people on Verizon FiOS Connections.

Thanks,

EBrown

as well as DNS injection can cause you to be directed to locations that are not your intended destination.

I tried OpenDNS once. I think these were the same addresses you listed 208.67.x.x, but I can't remember for sure, and for a part of my queries I was redirected to an almost blank page with some error message. A closer inspection revealed it to reside on an OpenDNS server. Not nice. I recall the sytes.net (No-IP) domain was affected, because that is what am using to keep track of a number of IPs. It was not down at the time.

I suppose they don't need to actively inject anything once you choose to query their service. A transparent redirection/injection can still take place by the ISP should it choose to pass all traffic to DNS port 53 to another IP address, which is rare but possible.

A couple of questions which just go to prove the depths of my ignorance :smiley:

1.  Does the particular DNS selected in either my chosen browser or my Verizon FIOS router affect the results in any way?

2.  What is the "Compare to Verizon FIOS Speed Test Log" telling me?  What am I comparing?  What is the FIOS speed test log?  

Thanks.

The Verizon FIOS speed test log show the recent results for other FIOS clients.  There are logs and listing for all members, providers, cities and countries to help you compare.

DNS would only affect the results if there were a long lookup at the start of the test.  I'd bet that this would be more noticeable on the multithread test if you selected a wide array of servers.  Because it will query for each server.

I'm with EB on this one.  Google's DNS works great.  I've been using it for years and never have DNS issues.