Data load

zuees

Larger tests are more accurate.  Some connections will do the opposite of yours by the way.

Since you know that you get a better sustained speed using larger sizes you should just continue to test that way from now on.  That's why those options exist.   :wink:

I almost exclusively use the 100MB down and 33MB up selections because I know it gives my connection enough time to settle. Usually when I use the auto-recommended options I see either really high or really low results. Usually really high.

Thanks,

EBrown

I like to run both the auto-size tests and the large file size tests. Sure the auto-size tests provide a quicker result but there is something to learn from the large file test. My 50/5 plan is typically exceeded by 10-15% increase above expected levels when running the auto-sized tests. That gives me a 'feel-good' while the large file tests show my IP surges throughput for a short duration of 5-7 seconds and then settles into... my plan rate of 50/5. If the household is simply doing a bunch of browsing the surge response gives everyone a sense of great performance - better than expected. If there are two or more HD video streams the consistent 50 Mbps download is more than sufficient. Until late afternoon and into the evening, that is. Lots of (WoW) customers in the neighborhood likely the cause for the drop in performance. 

I also find it useful to run tests when connected via ethernet as well as wireless. With wireless my throughput drops 10-20% even when I am only few feet from the router. Tracking down interference sources has proven difficult but I have not given up. 

I don't seem to have much drop in the evenings. (Though I go to bed by nine usually.) It seems that after nine to nine-thirty things drop from 55 down to about 45 down. I really don't care, still more data than I really use. (Unless I'm downloading a game, then I use it all.)

Thanks,

EBrown