Ping Rate or Latency report - is it possible here?

speedtest.net shows a PING rate which is helpful to me and my clients.

I like your test results and would like to know where to find the Ping rate (which I think averages around 14 - 19 milliseconds) for me. I understand that this helps measure latency which is important for those of us that use live online video broadcasting (i.e. Google Hangouts on Air).

Thanks very much for that https://testmy.net/trace link... I think that was just what I needed via a separate link/query.

Is there a place to see that info based on a Download/Upload test via testmy.net? If not, I guess I'm suggesting that info be visible in the report we see via the Download/Upload test via testmy.net (since this is an area for making suggestions on what we'd like).

Thanks very much for that https://testmy.net/trace link... I think that was just what I needed via a separate link/query.

Is there a place to see that info based on a Download/Upload test via testmy.net? If not, I guess I'm suggesting that info be visible in the report we see via the Download/Upload test via testmy.net (since this is an area for making suggestions on what we'd like).

I was supposed to have ping included in the last version but I didn't get to it. I'm hoping to put that up front and center in the next release. Keep visiting to watch it develop before your eyes. :) --- I'm far from finished.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I love testmy.net :).  I'm curious if you're aware of the "ping under load" issue, as shown in the dlsreports.com speedtest results?  A.k.a. bufferbloat.

There's a lot of old DSL connections set up with excessive buffers.  When you're actually using the connection, ping goes from reasonable to several hundred ms, and it just sucks to use.  I've seen both >1000ms during uploads and  >1000ms during downloads.  And that's cumulative (i.e. if you do both at once).

Faster connections tend not to have a problem, but there's still plenty of bad connections around.  E.g. see /speedtest/results/bufferbloat on the same site.

• 2 weeks later...

I love testmy.net :).  I'm curious if you're aware of the "ping under load" issue, as shown in the dlsreports.com speedtest results?  A.k.a. bufferbloat.

There's a lot of old DSL connections set up with excessive buffers.  When you're actually using the connection, ping goes from reasonable to several hundred ms, and it just sucks to use.  I've seen both >1000ms during uploads and  >1000ms during downloads.  And that's cumulative (i.e. if you do both at once).

Faster connections tend not to have a problem, but there's still plenty of bad connections around.  E.g. see /speedtest/results/bufferbloat on the same site.

Hi sourcejedi, welcome!

Yes, I'm very aware.  I also have a new test that I'll hopefully feel comfortable releasing soon.  It's a latency test but different.  

It's already been run on you.  On the 27th for instance you had an average Response Time of 30ms to the London, GB server.  The best being 21ms and worst being 105ms.  The system is so passive and requires so little that it's finished before you even notice it's even done anything.

I'd like to understand its output better before releasing it.  I built it and I don't even fully understand it.  It may take help from my users to figure out its personality and quirks.  In which case I'll just have to release it, as usual.. with no documentation.  Then let everyone figure it out and help me understand what I just built.  lol  --- all I know right now is that its output directly correlates with the connection performance.  It's hard to know exactly why that is in each situation because something like this hasn't been built yet.  I have no point of reference.  :lost:  -- cool thing about that test is that it can be run every few seconds and use almost no bandwidth.  :nocool:

By the way.  I have 150/20 from Comcast.  Not uncommon for me to see 180 Mbps.  Even on this connection when I max it out my latency spikes way up to 600-1000+ms.

I'm very happy to beta something in this area.  I could go on about it for ages! though am not sure what else to usefully say at this point.

I sympathize with the problem of interpreting latency.  Bufferbloat is distinctly detectable, painful, and common enough it should be part of any speed test.  Sample the latency a few times before and during a download, check for an excessive difference.  100ms is the maximum the buffer "should" be set to; beyond that it starts to be a problem.  The pain means it's a good reason to consider changing connection...  The most simple, reliable fix is to use a higher speed connection.  OpenWRT is an awesome fix if you want to set up a router all of your own... the fun starts with choosing a router that's supported and yet still for sale.

I guess other issues with latency or loss are hard for a convenient web test.  I would have enjoyed seeing idle latency during all my "auto" tests.  Whether it would have tell me anything useful is another matter. 

A 100ms spike on the connection is a slight surprise and not entirely welcome :).  I assume this wasn't during a download test.  I know downloads caused an average around 100ms, which is understandable.

By the way.  I have 150/20 from Comcast.  Not uncommon for me to see 180 Mbps.  Even on this connection when I max it out my latency spikes way up to 600-1000+ms

Ow!  Sorry I missed that part on first reading :).

AIUI that's less common.  Maybe benefits from the speed by making it harder to max out for long times, but annoying all the same.