Multithreading

shark91962

Update for smart TV: cannot download TCP stack optimizer as this device has

no hard drive, but it runs about 14 Mbps with multithreading disabled and 34+ Mbps enabled. Is this a reason for concern, or is this simply a limitation of the device?? I'm not an expert, but I would say the latter.

Also, there is some disparity with my other devices, but not as much. All other devices are tweaked to the max. We geeks have been doing this for decades through the Windows registry via 'regedit'.

My area was a test market for TWC 'Roadrunner' in '95. My desktop runs mid 30s on, and low 20s off. 

For my fellow members, I offer a very good article on how to tweak these settings manually. This one is "from the horse's mouth", so to speak, @ /support.microsoft.com/kb/93444. Novices should probably stick with a tool like TCP Optimizer. My other devices are tweaked, too, with similar results.

FYI, I have a top manager at my ISP, AT&T, on the record stating that the minimum acceptable speed on my 45 Mbps connection is 24 Mbps. Unfortunately, only speedtest.net results are considered. I spoke to his boss, Richard Burns, and told him about TMN. He said he would pass it up the chain.

• 4 months later...

My current fixed wireless ISP Bluebox (Ireland) experiences this issue also, particularly when downloading from UK servers.  If I download a large file, I typically get 1MB/s, but if I use a multi-threaded download manager, I can get up to 2MB/s and sometimes higher. 

From what I heard, Speedtest does a multithread (without saying) and sure enough it reports 15.1Mb/s for me even when I rarely get this on a single transfer.  With this site TestMy, I'm getting 8.1Mb/s in the standard download test and 13.2Mb/s in the multithread test using the UK server, which more closely matches my download experience.

In the evening, the variation is much greater for me where a multithreaded transfer can be 4 times faster than a single transfer.  While this is fine for downloading, it sometimes affects HD playback on streaming services such as YouTube which stream with a single connection.

On my workplace DSL connection, I get 11.9Mbps with both the single and multithreaded tests.