Speeds are over 99% slower than what I should have with Xfinity (Comcast)

Henry Lopez
Go to solution Solved by spudler_t,

Hi, I recently have been having issues with Comcast. So much I want to go talk to their supervisor and cuss him(or her) the heck out.

But lets get to the point, about 4 months ago I did a speedtest on my new ISP(Xfinity). Terrible. Getting only 6-7 Mbps (Lowercase, downstream). I say terrible because I used to have AT&T U-Verse with a 18 Mbps (Lowercase) downstream. I don't know whether it's the modem, connection to Xfinity or something.

I want to find out the source of the problem without having to deal with their "tech support." I realize a Online Forum wont help much, but it will possible point me in the right direction. I wont leave Comcast, I used to have them 3 years ago with a 49 Mbps downstream, for only $60. Now, paying same price, getting probably 80% less then what I used to have.

Here is a speedtest.net result: 

4021311469.png

I can't believe this, it's like paying for $1 service, ripoff. I don't have the speed tests from AT&T but I had a 18 Mb/s down and 5.32 Mb/s up. One thing that is different, is the ping. With AT&T I had a 60 ms ping. Probably bursts. 

Let's get onto the modem, I am using a weird modem. When I say weird, I mean weird. As in, when I try to go into the settings of the damn thing, it wont load. Says page doesn't exist. Had a tech come over, said I was getting 39 Mbps down, BS. I showed him the speedtest, he didn't know what to say. What a waist of money. What I am trying to ask is, what is going on? I am paying for the 50 Mbps package of "High-Speed Internet" when I get only 800 KB/s down. And here's the funny part, ITS FASTER ON OTHER DEVICES. It's almost like the router has a mind of it's own, doesn't like my PC. Did a speedtest result on my phone, got 14 Mbps down, 3 Mbps up.

Anyone have some idea of what it would or could be? Thanks.

(800 KB/s is "fast" but I am a video maker, I need fast download speeds and upload speeds to maintain a good connection to game servers and upload quickly to YouTube, even when livestreaming.)

• Solution

Can you tell me what Modem you are using?

It should be located on Bottom or side of the unit.

Is it a Comcast/Xfinity Modem?

and finally is it a wireless gateway or just a cable modem?

The Xfinity techs ( Sorry to some that are decent) Mostly are pathetic and I have no Idea where they acquire them, I have been in many heated Battles with them on many occasions using this exact site and the awesome ability to archive past tests, had them say testmy.net is not a reliable tests and they shoot off to some Xfinity sponsored test site and say see you getting Such and such speed all is good, then I pull up the archive and say Ok explain why a week ago I was getting this speed down and up and then ( Look here pay attention) at this date the speed goes down the well lets says it just plummets.

SO No matter what you think of your test links I have proof I was getting this speed and now I am not.

I actually told one tech he could not come into my house just give me the modem and be on your way because he started off blaming everything  he could name as to why my speed was slow, I am surprised he didn't blame my cat for his color of fur as to why my internet was slow.

But just as I had figured It was the modem that was going south and once I exchanged it I was back up to speed.

Of course that a while ago and speed was I think 20Mbps down where now I am getting I think roughly 65Mbps, but they advertise my package is supposed to be running at 105Mbps down and 25Mbps up but Surprise Surprise they advertise things before they can actually provide it, but that is a whole different can of worms.

Sorry for wandering off you issue.

So if you could get some info It may help me possibly help you some I sure hope anyway .

Have you checked your TCP/IP settings? There is a site that has a great analyzer if I am allowed to mention it, I only ask as Somehow my setting got all messed up my MTU was something insane like 2800 they also have a neat tool called TCP/IP Optimizer that could help you get the most out of your connection.

your statement where you had gotten better speeds on other devices almost sounds like something in you computer is set incorrect, but even that being said you are not getting closet to the correct speed with those other devices either I would expect 40-45 Mbps  if you have the 50 package, BTW you do have what they call Blast and not performance correct?

Well I was fed up with Xfinity, not only did the internet go slow, I also experienced major packet loss (in case I didn't mention).

Went back to AT&T, and I am happy with what I have now, it's slightly faster, but it's what I can work with, especially the upload speed. And better yet, no packet loss.

Also in response to earlier posts, I found I was using a 2 year old modem, but I didn't even want to continue with Xfinity. My advice to people: do NOT get Xfinity. You could if you'd like, probably get better results but I recommend AT&T U-Verse internet (DSL), faster than Cable that's for sure.

I am paying for a 24 Mbps package for now, however I am using Wireless, and the connection is G, not N so it's not going fast. If I have a broadband connection, I would expect it to be around 24-28 Mbps, tech said 19 Mbps, I think it's faster ;)

Thanks everyone who wanted to help, means a lot to me. C:

Here's a Speedtest.net result

4031407285.png

and a testmy.net result

JYHK7AFT.Gcnw7JSX.png

Can you tell me what Modem you are using?

It should be located on Bottom or side of the unit.

Is it a Comcast/Xfinity Modem?

and finally is it a wireless gateway or just a cable modem?

The Xfinity techs ( Sorry to some that are decent) Mostly are pathetic and I have no Idea where they acquire them, I have been in many heated Battles with them on many occasions using this exact site and the awesome ability to archive past tests, had them say testmy.net is not a reliable tests and they shoot off to some Xfinity sponsored test site and say see you getting Such and such speed all is good, then I pull up the archive and say Ok explain why a week ago I was getting this speed down and up and then ( Look here pay attention) at this date the speed goes down the well lets says it just plummets.

SO No matter what you think of your test links I have proof I was getting this speed and now I am not.

I actually told one tech he could not come into my house just give me the modem and be on your way because he started off blaming everything  he could name as to why my speed was slow, I am surprised he didn't blame my cat for his color of fur as to why my internet was slow.

But just as I had figured It was the modem that was going south and once I exchanged it I was back up to speed.

Of course that a while ago and speed was I think 20Mbps down where now I am getting I think roughly 65Mbps, but they advertise my package is supposed to be running at 105Mbps down and 25Mbps up but Surprise Surprise they advertise things before they can actually provide it, but that is a whole different can of worms.

Sorry for wandering off you issue.

So if you could get some info It may help me possibly help you some I sure hope anyway .

Have you checked your TCP/IP settings? There is a site that has a great analyzer if I am allowed to mention it, I only ask as Somehow my setting got all messed up my MTU was something insane like 2800 they also have a neat tool called TCP/IP Optimizer that could help you get the most out of your connection.

your statement where you had gotten better speeds on other devices almost sounds like something in you computer is set incorrect, but even that being said you are not getting closet to the correct speed with those other devices either I would expect 40-45 Mbps  if you have the 50 package, BTW you do have what they call Blast and not performance correct?

I also did use this to correct my PC's settings, my WLAN card was set up incorrectly, some how it hardcoded my old modems settings (which I am sure is not possible but it did it anyway) a few resets got it to go back to default settings, updated drivers, then used the TCP/IP Optimizer, with my new internet I was getting 3 Mbps down and 4.47 Mbps up which I know something is wrong, when I changed the settings, it sky rocketed to the speed test results above. 

Thanks again for the help!

YA no problem, I forgot to mention that you have to be on top of Xfinity as far as equipment and speed tiers, if they release something new or upgrade the service they are very bad about informing the customers.

For instance when I got my triple play plan I t was just prior to the X1 platform release and they never mentioned anything when they did release that so for about 0h 12 or more months ( I do not know exact time off hand) I was supposed to be getting the x1 platform with the any room dvr no extra cost and did not know about it until I was talking to a  guy waiting in line at the pharmacy and realized I was paying exact same price and had same plan but did not have the same services as the person I was talking to , so I went done and got the upgrade I was supposed to.

I am still waiting to see if the speed doubling goes into effect, it appears using the Comcast speedtest the speed is there but using the testmy net speed test it is running just a wee bit faster.

I will have to connect direct to router an see if that changes speed rather then using wifi.