Slow speed and unreliable service

Pblolpb

Hello, I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, as I am new here.

Recently, (past month or so) my internet has been slow and occasionally has died all together, however in the past week or so, it has gotten much worst, to the point that I would have trouble streaming YouTube videos in 240p, when it did slow down. It seems to slow down, then loose connection all together (have to restart my modem & router).  But then I can get 500Kb/s - 1Mb/s (bytes) download.

My router is a ASUS RT-N53 and my modem is a Sagemcom F@st 2864 (Supplied by my ISP Bell). 

If anyone has any suggestions for things to try, I would hugely appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

-Pblolpb

First question is it appears as the modem has wireless capabilities.  Are you using the ASUS and the modem both as wireless nodes, are they working together or have you configured one as a repeater, what about channels, if they are both running wireless, and what is their physical distance from one another if so.

Network configuration / topology would be a help.

Both the ASUS and the modem are used. They are 6-8 inches apart,  and they are broadcasting different wireless networks. 

If you think I would help, I can try to move the devices that are on the modem to the ASUS router, and turn off the modem's wireless network and see if it changes anything.

Yes, turn the modem's wifi off.  I'd use the ASUS RT-N53 as the router for everything. (the ASUS is dual band)  Test directly off the modem's ethernet to see what you're getting before the router is introduced.  Then introduce the router.  If you're only having issues with the router try resetting it and updating its firmware.

Reason for turning off one of the two, or only using one device for wireless access, to keep it simple,

Depending on frequencies of each wireless access point or channel, two devices can interfere with one another, in a sense cancelling each other out, or to that effect and have intermittent results in connectivity.

I would dare bet you'll see immediate positive results from CA3LE's suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have the same thing going on with my new Dish Net service. it operates off of HughesNet network. Gigantic lag in peak times and then it cripples my modem. they were able to go in the back side and tweak some things and actually got 26 mbps's for like 45 sec. After it settles down and peak evening traffic comes back it starts all over again.

• 5 months later...

I have the same thing going on with my new Dish Net service. it operates off of HughesNet network. Gigantic lag in peak times and then it cripples my modem. they were able to go in the back side and tweak some things and actually got 26 mbps's for like 45 sec. After it settles down and peak evening traffic comes back it starts all over again.

HughesNet operates a Fair Access Policy (FAP) - well, certainly used to when I used it a few years ago. This means that they will let you use "full speed" until you go "over" a certain amount of data downloaded. Then, they cut you back dramatically for the rest of the day. Search the net for HughesNet FAP. There used to be software around that would monitor your bandwitch use (FAP monitor search or something like that in Google). On top of that satellite links ALWAYS have a lag (just to get data to and from the satellite).

K