7550 Telnet

boywonder

How does one, adjust a SNR?

Signal-to-noise ratio (often abbreviated SNR or S/N) is a measure used in science and engineering that compares the level of a desired signal to the level of background noise. It is defined as the ratio of signal power to the noise power, often expressed in decibels.

This means, if you have a lot of line noise, there is not much you can do about it.  Frontier do not like their modems to run much more than 80% power, the reason I guess for this is to make it last longer without burning out.

I guess you could attempt to increase your output power, but I thought that was adjusted by your provisioning and SNR.  One place I would check is your home wiring.... yeah I know, there is nothing wrong with it right?  Wrong.....  If you can, remove any and all unused phone jacks, the more wire you have in your house the more noise you will pick up.  Trust me, it happened with my line when I first got it installed.  My noise floor dropped by almost half (according to verizon).

I presume you are on the outskirts of your DSLAM, same as I am.  They did install what they called bridges, this helped me but who knows what they do anymore.

How does one, adjust a SNR?

It's actually quite easy on most modems / custom firmwares and is nothing new.

One place I would check is your home wiring.... yeah I know, there is nothing wrong with it right?  Wrong.....  If you can, remove any and all unused phone jacks, the more wire you have in your house the more noise you will pick up.  Trust me, it happened with my line when I first got it installed.  My noise floor dropped by almost half (according to verizon).

As you assumed... There is nothing wrong with my wiring. :) My modem is direct connected into the NID with a 6' line. There is but only 1 phone jack in the entire house that was installed specifically for the internet. That of which I since re-routed to remove any chance of inerference. We do not have a land line.

I presume you are on the outskirts of your DSLAM, same as I am.  They did install what they called bridges, this helped me but who knows what they do anymore.

While I haven't dived into the line length yet.. I am lucky to have DSL out here, and have been capped at 3 down with no chance of upgrading, and get close to that during off peak hours. A tweak is a tweak, and when combined together even if you can squeeze minute amount it adds up.

While my SNR is actually acceptable for me I still would like to adjust what I can.

Ahh, gotcha.  My SNR was acceptable for my distance, I am on the outskirts of the DSLAM.  I presume you may even be further than I, as I am provisioned for max speed and on a normal day would see 7 - 8 Mbps, but that is in the past.  My new normal is well under 1Mbps, around 300Kbps or slightly more is my new norm.  Frontier, they are just kicking ass where ever they infiltrate.

That's a big difference I assume you have gone through the usual checks so give this a try, go to https://security.frontier.com/acctedit/log into your account and change your email password, this will also change your PPP pass as well. Once changed do a 30/30/30 (important) reset on the modem and run the setup process over with your new pass. I did this after my speeds dropped and saw a 30% speed increase. Have you tried connecting directly to your NID?

I just ran something that is of interest, something I have heard that Frontier do and I believe this will confirm they are actually doing this.

Throttling service, traffic shaping or whatever you want to call it.

Http download on this site is as now around 1.6 Mbps, I tried to download (as a test) a huge torrent file, it was coming down at 4.5Mbps. Interesting huh.... I will also try the password reset.

Interesting enough that if they would throttle anything it would be torrents not so much HTTP. I'm actually shocked that CA3LE has not implemented a throttle detection script yet :thumbsup:  If you want to be certain, check out this one at http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/glasnost.php. If they are indeed then would going through a good VPN service help?

Well the Glasnost test was inconclusive.....  But I did do what you said, with the password.  This time of night I would be expecting to drag balls.... my latest test on here was 6.6Mbps..... It has not been like that in almost 8 months. lol.

Now all I have to do is the same for the other DSL line, see if it fixes it.

The very next test was 1mbps.... I can't win, I thought it was fixed... lol

This time of night I would be expecting to drag balls.... my latest test on here was 6.6Mbps..... It has not been like that in almost 8 months. lol.

Now all I have to do is the same for the other DSL line, see if it fixes it.

The very next test was 1mbps.... I can't win, I thought it was fixed... lol

Sweet! So we know we can retrieve those speeds. FWIW ... If I were you I'd run through the pass change and modem 30/30/30 reset one more time during non peak hours.

I also ran into this http://www.dslreports.com/faq/westell?text=1 

Near the bottom it says

Westell does not offer telnet, ftp or SNMP in their products making it very hard to collect ADSL line statistical data when the collecting program is not running in Windows.

Yeah I have pretty much given up on opening telnet on that modem :( I may start looking at other modems options other than Frontiers branded one if that is they allow it.

• 1 month later...

I have Frontier DSL in CT.  One thing I have noticed is that after a torrent download of 800Mb or more I usually have to reset my modem.  After the download I get speeds around 1Mb.  Also, after they switched me from ATT I was "provisioned" for 1.5Mb downloads.  It took me weeks to get them to change it back to 3Mb. 

• CA3LE locked this topic