unbelievable !!

php

I have a Intel P4 w/HT @ 3.0GHz standard.  I just discovered that it is running at 4380MHz!!!  I have tried to overclock it before with no success, but suddenly it is running at almost 1.5 times its factory speed!  :cool: Does anyone have any explanation for this?

(PS, in looking for a program to accurately find my CPU speed, i found one that can throttle it down, but not overclock it)

Little program called Wcpuid, works well. Tells you lots of info including  a accurate read of your bus and core speed. I think that must be a misread cause you would have to up Vcore manually to get that speed and you would have some heat issues if you have a stock heatsink and fan.  :)

Well i haven't heard anybody getting a wrong reading from Wcpuid, what does your Bios say. This is pretty crazy if it turns out it really is running that speed. You have a very rare chip if it is true :D Can i have it :P

me and a couple of guys at work have been dabbling in the HTPC area, just using standard XPpro. I found a place in Texas that will sell the MCE disk stand alone, when you buy a mobo and parts.We like to build our own with quiet cases and fans. Haven't been real crazy about what the manufacturers are offering with MCE as far as cases and such. We want QUIET units to sit near, and blend in with the av components. Nice black horizontal units that stack with the gear

my 4700 was almost silent until i added a front case fan to keep my hdds cool.  i should put a new fan in there sometime, this one came out of a unix server i took apart a couple years ago, its a little loud, but lowered my hdd temps 40 degrees :D (they needed it)