The Cisco 3939 5 Ghz Wireless sucks

So me being well me. I made Xfinitycast deliver me a brand new Cisco DPC 3939 Dual Band Wireless Gateway doodad. Thinking since I can do either 2.4 or 5 Ghz and 5 is supposedly higher speed then 2.4 ( From what I can tell 2.4 maxes at 144 Mbps while 5 Maxes at 300Mbps) Or at least on my ASUS it does, but guess what, that crappy Gateway will not stay at 300Mbps it jumps from 80Mbps to 144 to maybe 200 ish. And that darn thing is only Id say 30' away Max. It is just out my door down hall 10 feet and in that room. I usually keep both doors open, What's Torked me off majorly is that it did run pretty steady at 300Mbps at first maybe dropping to 244 or so. now I am lucky if it gets above 200.

SO since I am paying for Xfinitycast's 105 Speed and Both My ASUS and the Gateway have 1Gbps LAN connections I am now going to run a cable from my room into hall onto ceiling into other room and into Gateway.

WHat a Bunch of (Expletive Deleted)  Filth foul and Fould and Filth.

what a nice deal it is to be wireless only to be cabled down again if I want to enjoy anything close to what I pay for.

As you can see by my pitiful excuses for speed tests lately I am lucky to get 65Mbps down but at least I get 10Mbps up with wireless.

I should be pulling close to 95-100 Mbps once I umbilical myself back to the gateway.

I sure wish Google Fibre would not of put a hold on doing our area or if Century (Qwest) Link actually could provide their so called 1Gbps speed teir to my actual house I would tell Xfinity cast to go Stuff it and no more of my money if going to help sponsor the Xfinity series whilst my service Blows.

I mean I am all for NASCAR (Love it) and I know it takes money and sponsors but I am sick of getting Jacked around, Having either my DVR stop functioning whenever it gets the urge, Text messaging on a as it feels like working basis, unable to open email or account something 8 of the last 15 days. Just is REDICULOUS. I hope Comcrap/Xfinity trools the forums and sees this. BTW The CAPS is for you  Xfinity.

But sadly I am addicted plus need the internet like as much as I need water to bath so I must keep using them until a new supplier comes to my area. I did see new stuff on main street 2 blocks away that (Centurylink(Qwest) did and they left a bunch of huge plug caps and stripped wire and wire I do not recognize plus installed a dedicated Power Box and Meter so maybe they are close to hookering me up to 1 Gbps.???  Can wish can't I??

• 4 weeks later...

I see No One has commented but Still, I hate this 5 Ghz System , I have a strange feeling it is Comcast and not Cisco to blame for the unstable 5 Ghz connection.

At times I look at my computer states I am connected at 300Mbps other times ( Like 3 seconds later) it drops to 120Mbps then I have even seen it at 54Mbps. 

What kills me is I am only at most 50' away from the Wireless Gateway Basically 7 Feet to my open door on room down hall maybe 15' and into the "Office" my G-Friend uses where the cable and phone plug happen to be located.

Even when I do not move my laptop this connection jumps all over the spectrum like stated above.

I would use the 2.4 Ghz connection but have 3 other devices connected to that system ( wait 4) I forgot that the Comcast MOCA System uses the 2.4Ghz connection too.

I am the only one that has ability to use 5 Ghz in the house so that being said I would expect much better performance out of it.

plus 2.4Ghz seems limited to a max of 144 Mbps 

My awesome Test result in Signature was acquired vie Wired Lan right after Comcast finally increased my speed tier like they had been advertising for months.

I assume they did not cap it at first as I was pulling this speed for a few hours then it got capped at 105Mbps.

Ok I am not up to date as I was Prior to Disabling myself ( Not on purpose of course) What is channel Overlap?

Better yet Suggestions on where I can go read the best up to date info on wireless, IPV4, IPV6, MOCA, DOCSIS 3.0 or whatever is newest in works?

Be easier then trying to explain plus I can learn so much by reading on my time etc. 

I am still interested in this stuff just so much inability at times to do anything.

Sad as I have all the time in world LOL :( just no energy or to much pain discomfort to even get online.

Just seen your reply EB, Thanks, no Cel phone, USe my ASUS G73 SW ROG Laptop ( Brag Brag Was Best Gaming laptop when I got it 2011, yet I do not play games anymore, so Lame huh?

When I did play games had SH*&^ for a computer of anykind.

I will check that out thanks again.

I do have this wait No ASUS wireless just turns on and off wifi and the no longer useable WIMAX ability.

Only thing to show networks or strength or anything is Windows 7 wireless dodad 

Ok I am not up to date as I was Prior to Disabling myself ( Not on purpose of course) What is channel Overlap?

Better yet Suggestions on where I can go read the best up to date info on wireless, IPV4, IPV6, MOCA, DOCSIS 3.0 or whatever is newest in works?

Be easier then trying to explain plus I can learn so much by reading on my time etc. 

I am still interested in this stuff just so much inability at times to do anything.

Sad as I have all the time in world LOL :sad: just no energy or to much pain discomfort to even get online.

Just seen your reply EB, Thanks, no Cel phone, USe my ASUS G73 SW ROG Laptop ( Brag Brag Was Best Gaming laptop when I got it 2011, yet I do not play games anymore, so Lame huh?

When I did play games had SH*&^ for a computer of anykind.

I will check that out thanks again.

I do have this wait No ASUS wireless just turns on and off wifi and the no longer useable WIMAX ability.

Only thing to show networks or strength or anything is Windows 7 wireless dodad

Yeah, that Ekahau is a tool I used to use with the University I worked at in order to heatmap our Wireless network. (We were working on replacing a lot of gear in the Dorms, and I wanted to find all the AP's first.) It's a completely free programme - I recommend you drop it on your laptop, fire that bad boy up, and go to town mapping your house. You may find something interesting with it.

It will also show you the physical location of all the Access Points if done properly, as well as their channels, etc. You can easily find overlap with it.

Thanks,

EBrown

ya I was wondering about that as It asked about a map then said walk around your facility and I was What? Facility My house is only 3 bedrooms, a so called office thingy and a Overpacked Garage. Then I read more and realized I can actually walk around the block well almost. I know there are a few of those "Xfinity Wifi" total BS Hotspots ( But my issue with them is a totally different set of encyclopedias) anyway. I can connect to some of them to get a larger range.

Right off the bat instantly after install I found about 10+ AP's I had no clue were even out there.

I did find about 4 2.4 Ghz ones that use channel 6 which is what it says mine is but not one 5 Ghz network anywhere.

What is puzzling me is that 2.4 Ghz uses 1 channel at least all show one channel # where the 5 Ghz says mine is on Channels 149-153 I believe it said. I better look again real quick. 

yep it says 153-149 actually why larger first not sure.

Question

How many bars is full power? I cannot tell on 2.4 I have 7 does not look full green as I would think and even worse 5 is only showing 5 then 4 then 5 and they come from same exact Wireless Gateway ( I call it that as that is what Comcast calls the thing.

According to the documentation I aquired off of Cisco web site this unit is supposed to have 2 internal antennas and "Supposedly" able to connect 6 external antenna though do not see how in manual.

Also see I can set it to bridge mode to allow connection of "Range extenders"  Wondering if I can find a decent price on a Cisco Dual band range extender if it would be worth the hassle of getting one and adding it?

Of course I asked Comcast about some of the features and Options and it appears some of the techs know as little as possible probably just enough to stay employed.

One Jackwagon told me that IPV6 was not something that my laptop could use to interface with the Gateway and sent on to the internet etc. He said it was only something that the Gateway may use to connect to their network nothing I was able to have nor know if it was being used anyway, Which I know is a HUGE LIE as last router was IPV6 and it showed in my network connection details and Sure as I am sometimes an Idiot ( 100%) I see in like a week after install after a Software update POW all of a sudden I see IPV6 info again, to make a short story long anything I do know about the Specifics of this Gateway and I ask Comcast about they are clueless or at least act like it.

Kinda PO's me as this has so many awesome abilities like ability to connect External HD and be able to share say music, picture and viceo files I have on it as well as my DVR has awesome feature of 2 HDMI inputs, 1 Hdmi output and one Toslink (Optical) output which would of allowed me to connect my older Blu-ray player and my Streaming Network media player without having to manual swith them each time I wanted to use one or the other but was told sorry that along with most all great features are disabled by those Wackjobs. so I ended up having to go get a New Blue-ray player which was OK as one day I find a 3D Blue-Ray with built in Wifi and Apps etc on sale for 50% off and snatched it up for $42.50.

Now I need to find that kinda deal on a 7.2 DTS/Dolby Digital Receiver, Sadly I have a actual Pro or Commercial Spec Concert system but G-Friend says Speaker cabs are way to huge for living room and no one needs 2200 watts of Peavey Power or ability to cause popcorn ceiling to self destruct into what resembles s snow storm. Some women or I should say ones I have dated etc. do not appreciate Ultra High Quality Sound reproduction and how awesome it is when the frequencies from 10Hz to 20Khz can be played back, you cannot really hear much below 20 Hz but the feeling is Priceless in my opinion, and yes I have some metal songs that go Down below 20 Hz it is INSANE. 

Good lord did I Derail my train of thought and went completely off topic Sorry about that. 

Channel 6? You kidding? That's the default go-to channel for 2.4Ghz devices. Most users are NOT smart enough to change it.

I have no idea on the bars - I do not have a Windows 7 PC at my place anymore.

The Ekahau heatmapper actually tells you the real signal-strength rather than just some arbitrary "bars" justification, it even shows you dbV if I recall correctly. (Been a while since I used it.)

Thanks,

EBrown

I have not heard that, I know not all devices can use 5 Ghz, ( Both of my streaming media players well 1 player 1 Blu-Ray can only use 2.4 Ghz,) I do not remember what the Ipad that Died used it was a $th gen 32 GB version, need to take it somewhere and see if someone can fix it.

I only know that on my Laptop 2.4 Ghz is limited to 144 Mbps connection speed and 5 Ghz is 300 Mbps Speed but seen on the Mapper that 2.4 Ghz says 217 Mbps and 5 Ghz says 450Mbps so maybe 5 Ghz is 2X faster but not as strong? Which seems to kinda make no sense as I would expect to have a stronger signal to insure uncorrupted data at higher speeds. 

WHat channel do you suggest I use on the 2.4 Ghz? I see 1 and 6 listed as being used by others I will check and see what options I have in the Gateway settings. 

I shows I can select from 1-11 so I will try 11 it is one I see no one else uses and is furthest away from others if that makes any difference. 

I have not heard that, I know not all devices can use 5 Ghz, ( Both of my streaming media players well 1 player 1 Blu-Ray can only use 2.4 Ghz,) I do not remember what the Ipad that Died used it was a $th gen 32 GB version, need to take it somewhere and see if someone can fix it.

I only know that on my Laptop 2.4 Ghz is limited to 144 Mbps connection speed and 5 Ghz is 300 Mbps Speed but seen on the Mapper that 2.4 Ghz says 217 Mbps and 5 Ghz says 450Mbps so maybe 5 Ghz is 2X faster but not as strong? Which seems to kinda make no sense as I would expect to have a stronger signal to insure uncorrupted data at higher speeds. 

WHat channel do you suggest I use on the 2.4 Ghz? I see 1 and 6 listed as being used by others I will check and see what options I have in the Gateway settings. 

I shows I can select from 1-11 so I will try 11 it is one I see no one else uses and is furthest away from others if that makes any difference.

Edit: Below information is for 802.11b/g/n in the 2.4Ghz spectrum.

Typically channels 1/6/11 are the most popular. If no one is on 11, choose it.

The reason being, is that each channel has a "width" which overlaps other channels. 1/6/11 do NOT overlap each other at all.

1 1 1                 |
2 2 2 2               |
3 3 3 3 3             |
  4 4 4 4 4           |
    5 5 5 5 5         |
      6 6 6 6 6       |
        7 7 7 7 7     |
          8 8 8 8 8   |
            9 9 9 9 9 |
              10101010|
                111111|
That matrix should give you an idea. Channels 1/6/11 are mutually exclusive in frequency ranges, as are 2/7, 3/8, 4/9, and 5/10.

1 1 1 6 6 6 6 6 111111|
2 2 2 2 7 7 7 7 7     |
3 3 3 3 3 8 8 8 8 8   |
  4 4 4 4 4 9 9 9 9 9 |
    5 5 5 5 5 10101010|
You can find dozens of references to this information all over the internet. You can search it to confirm, if you like. Or just take my word for it. :)

Also, if you have modified Firmware, SOMETIMES you can unlock channels 12/13, which are used in many countries overseas. I do NOT recommend it - technically it's illegal to use here in the United States. But 12 sets with 2/7, and 13 with 3/8 in the mutual exclusivity.

Edit: good information can be found here (Wikipedia): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

Thanks,

EBrown

WOw thanks, Ya The Internet and Wireless stuff or the technology and so on has just increased faster then I can learn it.

When I was really into computers and building them and so on there was not even wireless available to the common person anyway, Back in 2000/2001 Now it is everywhere.

Heck and the Stuff to do with Police scanners and The Trunking, Triple Trunking and Digital Stuff is also just as crazy.

I will go ahead and take your word for it now, but anytime you think of a good website or link to a pdf or any you may have feel free to let me know or email them to me as I still enjoy learning this stuff.

I went to use the Heat mapper Program and found out my battery last's about 5-7 min now, it appears to have lost 90% of its life or ability in the last month.

Strange as not more then Id say 45 days ago it ran at least 45 min before it looked to be getting low, now it seems to run from 100% to 93% normally then from 93% to Dead in a second.

SO I have to replace battery before I can map my area :(

Oh holly cow, the channels are just a different frequency about the 2.4000Mhz start, now this makes so much more sense.

I guess I should of known that as TV, Scanners all of those use channels which are just a different frequency. Not sure what I was thinking at first actually.

In the Network settings on my laptop I can set the channel width on the 2.4 and 5 Ghz to be auto or 20 Hz only which do you think would be best? Auto to let the computer decide?

WOw thanks, Ya The Internet and Wireless stuff or the technology and so on has just increased faster then I can learn it.

When I was really into computers and building them and so on there was not even wireless available to the common person anyway, Back in 2000/2001 Now it is everywhere.

Heck and the Stuff to do with Police scanners and The Trunking, Triple Trunking and Digital Stuff is also just as crazy.

I will go ahead and take your word for it now, but anytime you think of a good website or link to a pdf or any you may have feel free to let me know or email them to me as I still enjoy learning this stuff.

I went to use the Heat mapper Program and found out my battery last's about 5-7 min now, it appears to have lost 90% of its life or ability in the last month.

Strange as not more then Id say 45 days ago it ran at least 45 min before it looked to be getting low, now it seems to run from 100% to 93% normally then from 93% to Dead in a second.

SO I have to replace battery before I can map my area :sad:

Oh holly cow, the channels are just a different frequency about the 2.4000Mhz start, now this makes so much more sense.

I guess I should of known that as TV, Scanners all of those use channels which are just a different frequency. Not sure what I was thinking at first actually.

In the Network settings on my laptop I can set the channel width on the 2.4 and 5 Ghz to be auto or 20 Hz only which do you think would be best? Auto to let the computer decide?

Channel widths are a hard technology to right-proper nail down. On one hand, smaller channel widths mean less interference, but on the other hand, it also means less modulation and less distance between signals.

Here's a decent article that seems to know what it's referring to:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/basics/wireless-basics/30664-5-ways-to-fix-slow-80211n-speed

Generally speaking, stick with 20Hz only, as this is the standard for 802.11 2.4Ghz bands anyway.

And yes, the 2.4Ghz frequency is actually the bottom end of the frequency range for Channel 1, it goes up from there.

I recommend you enable 802.11 g/n, and then experiment with utilizing n on the 5Ghz band and on the 2.4Ghz band, to see if you see any throughput improvements.

Thanks,

EBrown

• CA3LE locked this topic