Problems with cable/modem/router

I have comcast cable, pushed in through a Dl-604 Router, connected to a Motorola SB4200 Surfboard modem.  This is hooked to my 2 computers, but one of them refuses to function properly.  As i type, it is still trying to load this webpage and has been trying to for the past hour.  If i let it sit long enough it will eventually load at least part of it, so it does have a connection, even if it's lame.  Both computers have essentially the same parts and all drivers are updated.  This all started with my attempt to install the comcast software.  I was using my secondary pc (the one with the probs) to run the software and it wouldn't run the software properly.  One thing led to another and i ended up formatting and reinstalling all of the essentials.  Not only will it not work, but it won't even open any pages that may be able to help.  It took about 10 minutes to open/load the router site and even then half the links didn't come in.  And yet sometimes you can open IE and it will almost load fast.  That means it loads in text but gets bogged down in the images.  I am not desperate for this to be fixed since i do have a functioning pc, but it is highly annoying not being able to use it for much.  Here are some specs on it:

RAM: 512

NetCard: NetGear FA311/312 PCI Adapter

Vid: NVidia GeForce3 Ti200

Snd: GameSurround Muse 5.1

It's pretty empty at this time; i haven't reinstalled that much since i formatted, but it has the usual peripheries: Keyboard, Mouse, Printer, Monitor.

I have checked all the network settings and made sure they mirrored the pc which does work.  Kind of running out of ideas...

I have Comcast cable, pushed in through a Dl-604 Router, connected to a Motorola SB4200 Surfboard modem.  This is hooked to my 2 computers, but one of them refuses to function properly.  As i type, it is still trying to load this webpage and has been trying to for the past hour.  If i let it sit long enough it will eventually load at least part of it, so it does have a connection, even if it's lame.  Both computers have essentially the same parts and all drivers are updated.  This all started with my attempt to install the Comcast software.  I was using my secondary pc (the one with the probs) to run the software and it wouldn't run the software properly.  One thing led to another and i ended up formatting and reinstalling all of the essentials.  Not only will it not work, but it won't even open any pages that may be able to help.  It took about 10 minutes to open/load the router site and even then half the links didn't come in.  And yet sometimes you can open IE and it will almost load fast.  That means it loads in text but gets bogged down in the images.  I am not desperate for this to be fixed since i do have a functioning pc, but it is highly annoying not being able to use it for much.  Here are some specs on it:

RAM: 512

NetCard: NetGear FA311/312 PCI Adapter

Vid: NVidia GeForce3 Ti200

Snd: GameSurround Muse 5.1

It's pretty empty at this time; i haven't reinstalled that much since i formatted, but it has the usual peripheries: Keyboard, Mouse, Printer, Monitor.

I have checked all the network settings and made sure they mirrored the pc which does work.  Kind of running out of ideas...

Welcome to the site, hope you like it and tell your friends. Im not much on routers and networking but im sure someone will be able to help you soon. By the way, I cant believe you dont have Windows XP. ;):haha: Welcome. :D

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 1991 Kbps about 2 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 243 kB/s

Tested From:: http://www.testmy.net/

Test Time:: Thu Mar 17 03:17:13 CST 2005

Bottom Line:: 36X faster than 56K 1MB download in 4.21 sec

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 62.28 % of your hosts average (comcast.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-4L6J8K2PE

This is for the pc that works.  I was ferreting around the secondary pc and discovered that the network between my 2 computers is ridiculously slow.  I may be on the verge of re-formatting again, without installing the comcast software since it obviously causes me grief.  Anyway, i can't share anything with the pc to tweak it, anything i fix will have to exist in the computer itself and not a tertiary source.  No, i can't burn a disk for it because it has my burner in it and i don't use floppy drives.

Even without the router, if i hook the 2nd pc up to the cable modem it is still excruciatingly slow.  I have updated the net drivers but cannot think of what would be causing this, as it has not has issues before on home networks.

As a computer tech I hate to recommend reloading a system.

It makes it really hard because a lot of tools that can help are online.

I would try something first though.

Uninstall the NIC card from windows and then let windows reinstall it.

Then try to connect the system directly to the internet (modem)

If that works, message me and I will help.

I had already reinstalled the NIC but i went ahead and did it again anyway.  Still the same.  After connecting it directly to the modem, it loaded in my homepage pretty fast but then bogged out again when it got to the picture, which came in a little distorted.  The next page i tried came back with a no dns error.  I have checked to make sure my homepage is not loaded as an offline webpage, in case you were wondering.  Anybody else have any ideas?

I actually have swapped the cables, while i was setting up the network i had to change around a lot of things to try to minimize the wire-tangle.  The system behaves the same as it did with the old cable, now hooked up to my other system, which runs great.

As for changed the nic speed, i actually have no idea where to do that, there are no options for it in device manager, so unless it's buried in the bios someplace i don't even know where to look.  Can you describe the procedure please?

Before you change the speed, if you know the ip of your other computer get to a dos prompt and ping your other machine.  use the command:

ping -n 10 your.other.computer.ip

eg:  ping -n 10 10.13.12.1

hen post the results.

(To get the ip of your other machine:  go to Start->Run then type winipcfg then click on Run, then select your nic from the drop down in the upper right of the window.)

To change the speed and media for your nic:

Right mouse click on you "Network Neightborhood icon on the destop, then select "properties".  This is where your network settings are (also in dev. mgr.)  Now, click once on your  your nic card then click on the "properties" button.  The speed, media type, etc should be listed under the Advanced tab.  Some nic drivers are different in how they list these: both in naming and how the settings are listed.  Some have one setting for both media and speed eg.: "100mb full duplex".  Some have these separated out. Change the speed and media type to 10mb half-duplex.  Only change these two then reboot and try it. 

(Some nics don't run well with auto negotiating for speed and duplexing)

Alright, i was unable to ping my primary computer from DOS.  I did type it in exactly as shown in windows ip cfg, and each time i got the error "IP address must be specified".  Here is how i put it:

c:>ping -n ###.###.#.###

I even attempted it with the default gateway address, but still got the same error.

Also, the options under speed (which were only in the network places  folder and completely absent from the dev. mgr.. and totally absent from my primary pc (thank goodness i don't have probs with it)) were:

100BaseTx

100BaseTxFullDuplex

10BaseT

10BaseTFullDuplex

Auto Sense

I went with the 10BaseT because it is clearly not full duplex.

Anyway, it worked!  You rock :)  I will post with my secondary PC the results of the tests i am running.  Thanks a lot!

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 1935 Kbps about 1.9 Mbps (tested with 1013 kB)

Download Speed is:: 236 kB/s

Tested From:: http://www.testmy.net/

Test Time:: Thu Mar 24 16:27:52 PST 2005

Bottom Line:: 35X faster than 56K 1MB download in 4.34 sec

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 60.09 % of your hosts average (comcast.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-2GZ1ME4J6

Thank you to all of the people who offered helpful advice!

Alright, i was unable to ping my primary computer from DOS. I did type it in exactly as shown in windows ip cfg, and each time i got the error "IP address must be specified". Here is how i put it:

c:>ping -n ###.###.#.###

I even attempted it with the default gateway address, but still got the same error.

Also, the options under speed (which were only in the network places folder and completely absent from the dev. mgr.. and totally absent from my primary pc (thank goodness i don't have probs with it)) were:

100BaseTx

100BaseTxFullDuplex

10BaseT

10BaseTFullDuplex

Auto Sense

I went with the 10BaseT because it is clearly not full duplex.

Anyway, it worked! You rock :) I will post with my secondary PC the results of the tests i am running. Thanks a lot!

The reason you got that error message while pinging is because you have to put a number after the -n switch e.g.: ping -n 10 192.168.0.1

There are a few options you can use while pinging. To see a list type ping /?

I'm glad your problem is fixed now. :)

Netmasta~ i did put the ip after c:/ping -n, i just didn't want to share it with you (never give out your ip address fool), hence why i put #'s... to show that there was a number there. I will try c:/ping/? just to see what it says.

ping 192.168.0.1 is different than

ping -n # 192.168.0.1

Where # is the number of times you want to ping the host.

Cak46 was telling you to use the -n switch.