Unable to run any tests

jaritt4

Hello!

I am not able to get either test to run properly. I've had this issue for quite some time now, but now I am not able to even get the cursed speedtest.net to work either. If I try to run a test it either gets part way through a test (like 67% for example) and just freeze, or I get a blank page. It most commonly freezes. While the test is frozen I am able to freely roam the internet and even watch youtube videos with no issue. I randomly have issues with other sites not working properly, but a refresh usually takes care of it... However, this happens way too often. Also, I play League of Legends, and I am unable to play due to periodic loss of connection in the client (so I can't start up a match).

I'm directly connected to my modem via ethernet. I've scanned for viruses and the like, as well as reset my chrome settings. After resetting chrome I got one multi-thread test to run, but that's it. I've tested IE and it doesn't work either.

I don't know what it would be that is causing these issues, but I assume they are all related somehow.

I would love to get some assistance with this :) pretty please?

Results related to post IP: https://testmy.net/compID/62763454520

Edited by CA3LE
Added results URL

I didn't see any results under your username so I pulled it by the IP address you posted this topic from.

So you're on Comcast then?  What speed do you pay for?

I also see..

User Agent Detected: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/45.0.2454.85 Safari/537.36

So, I'm going to guess Windows 8.1 using Chrome.

Please let us know what modem and router you're using as well as the placement of the router in relation to the computer.  Is it wired or wireless?

Thanks for the speedy reply ;)

Windows 8.1 and Chrome, yes. Wired directly to the modem via ethernet. Modem is just in the next room, so one wall in between... but it's wired so... And as far as what speed I'm paying for, I'd have to ask my roommate who is at work at the moment, but I believe it's their 30mb download speed. I've done tests on speedtest.net (I was desperate!) and I was able to get 25mb+ though I can't get the site to work currently.

Modem is Netgear C3700

This, from what little information available, sound like an IP conflict. At the same time sounding like QOS settings on the wireless are getting hit.

Can you explain what the subnet CIDR is? example /30 /29 ect... on the DHCP of wireless side as well as the wired. In other words, how many IP's or, device are allowed to connect to the router at one time.  

I've tested with my computer being the only thing connected to the modem, and the TMN tests still do not work.

Maximum, we have a PC, a laptop, 2 iPhones, an iPad, and a Playstation 4 connected. However, we do not use all the devices at the same time... usually 3.

I've tested with my computer being the only thing connected to the modem, and the TMN tests still do not work.

Maximum, we have a PC, a laptop, 2 iPhones, an iPad, and a Playstation 4 connected. However, we do not use all the devices at the same time... usually 3.

First I would check browser addons. See if something might be blocking it. 

Do you have any virtual software on the machine? 

Do the other devices test properly? 

As for the CIDR, is this what you are looking for?

192.168.0.1/24

I found it on the modem's page (in browser i went to the ip) clicked advanced and its just there under LAN Port along with my mac address.

sorry for making two replies for that.

As for the CIDR, is this what you are looking for?

192.168.0.1/24

I found it on the modem's page (in browser i went to the ip) clicked advanced and its just there under LAN Port along with my mac address.

sorry for making two replies for that.

Yes. And that is fine. 

First I would check browser addons. See if something might be blocking it. 

Do you have any virtual software on the machine? 

Do the other devices test properly? 

All chrome extensions are disabled. Internet Explorer also does not run tests properly.

I am not running any virtual machine or VPN software.

My iPad works just fine. 

Also, in my earlier post, I stated my PC will run tests while running wireless. But when I try to run a test using a wired ethernet connection, with wireless disconnected, the test will only start but never finish. It actually gets stuck at around 5%. EDIT: (13% now actually)

All chrome extensions are disabled. Internet Explorer also does not run tests properly.

I am not running any virtual machine or VPN software.

My iPad works just fine. 

Also, in my earlier post, I stated my PC will run tests while running wireless. But when I try to run a test using a wired ethernet connection, with wireless disconnected, the test will only start but never finish. It actually gets stuck at around 5%. EDIT: (13% now actually)

I might do a hard reset on the modem. 

From everything you have stated, there appears there could be some sort of QOS, or quality of service setting in the modem for the subnet the hard wired connections are using. 

Make sure to do what we call a 30/30/30 reset:

Locate the pinhole in the modem (reset button)

Usually we use a paper clip

While the power is on, press, and HOLD the reset button. ( remembering you will be holding the reset button without fail, for ~90 seconds + )

Watch the clock or count to at least 30 second, more is fine. 

Now remove power for another 30 seconds at least (while continuing to hold the reset button in)

Now plug the unit back in (while continuing to hold the reset button in for a further 30 plus seconds)

make sure you are comfortable for the process, 90+ seconds contorted to hold reset button in can seem longer than it truly is :)

Did the reset exactly how you said. I even used the stopwatch on my phone and did each phase for about 35 seconds, never releasing the button until the very end. It took some time for the cable connection to be reestablished but it finally started working.

I am now unable to get a TMN test to start. It just sits there and tries loading the next page, while remaining on the /download page. Meaning, I get to https://testmy.net/downloadand choose a testing option, but it will not progress past this page.

Before I did the reset I was able to get a 256kb test to run and it gave me a whopping 6Kbps haha. My downstream is much better than that, as I can watch a live stream on twitch.tv without issue.

TL;DR - 30/30/30 reset didn't work

PS - I did not have to reenter any information to set it up, even for the wireless settings. I was under the impression it would reset all the settings as well. I do have an option on the modem's page in my browser

I followed the directions again and still no dice. I even used the factory reset option using the browser interface for the modem and it still is not clearing out all of the settings. It does take a very long time to reconnect to the cable service though. Much longer than a normal power cycle.

What else you got?

Thanks for your continued support. I really appreciate it :)

EDIT: It says in the manual that the reset should indeed reset all the settings including the SSID and security etc. I have no idea why neither of these resets are doing this.

Geezus, there must be capacitors in that thing. 

Honestly, when you want to be offline for a bit.

Unplug everything again, the power cord ends that plug into the wall, short them out for 10 seconds or so. With a screwdriver. 

Now listen here, and forgive me if I sound rash, or abrasive, stay away from the wall outlet with the screwdriver!  This procedure has NOTHING to do with the wall, or anything near it.  (I know you know this, but someone at some point will come along and instead of crapping their pants that day, will cram a screwdriver in the wall) So disclaimer out of the way :)

Just attempt to drain the internal caps by shorting the leads, give it at least ten seconds.

Then leave it sit for as long as you can, 5 minutes, 60 minutes, all night, short it again. Then proceed to 'factory reset' the thing. 

Geezus, there must be capacitors in that thing. 

Honestly, when you want to be offline for a bit.

Unplug everything again, the power cord ends that plug into the wall, short them out for 10 seconds or so. With a screwdriver. 

Now listen here, and forgive me if I sound rash, or abrasive, stay away from the wall outlet with the screwdriver!  This procedure has NOTHING to do with the wall, or anything near it.  (I know you know this, but someone at some point will come along and instead of crapping their pants that day, will cram a screwdriver in the wall) So disclaimer out of the way :)

Just attempt to drain the internal caps by shorting the leads, give it at least ten seconds.

Then leave it sit for as long as you can, 5 minutes, 60 minutes, all night, short it again. Then proceed to 'factory reset' the thing. 

Haha, I totally understand the feeling. No worries here. And I got a good chuckle out of the way you explained it.

Just to be clear however, am I to unplug the power cord (DUH haha) and use a screw driver to connect the uh.... circuit... by having the screw driver touch both prongs on the end of the power plug? While the plug is still connected to the modem? Any risk of damaging the modem in the process?

And after you attempt to drain the internal capacitor(s), and run the previous procedure, with cable and all unplugged, power it off, 

Hold the reset button in, and plug it in to the power. 

Only then screw the cable back in. 

To see what's happening, leave the cable removed, do these procedures and see the complaints and different GUI objects that may or may not be available. Read the logs, get an idea of what it's trying to do before it syncs with the ISP. 

If this all fails, were getting dirty with it, and we'll telnet in there and command it to lose it's memory :toothy6:  

Ok. I did the shorting out thing. I left the cable disconnected and got some log info before screwing it back in. I still have my settings like before, so it's still not been completely reset.

Below are the screenshots of the two logs I found. Probably not the best, but I think it'll work. I don't really understand any of it though.

What do you need to do to make it lose it's memory? I don't want to go as far as having someone take over remotely if I don't have to.

post-257513-0-55015000-1442093913.png

post-257513-0-99864600-1442093916.png

So the wireless setting are the same after all this? 

Did you have a password to get into your wifi? (I know you do)

No remote is necessary.

My recommendation at this point would be to skim over how to telnet into my router. Though, the fiormware might be inaccessible. 

So the wireless setting are the same after all this? 

Did you have a password to get into your wifi? (I know you do)

No remote is necessary.

My recommendation at this point would be to skim over how to telnet into my router. Though, the fiormware might be inaccessible. 

Yup, all the settings are still the same.

This telnet thing looks too complicated for me, and honestly it seems like overkill.

I tested on a new user account on my computer (windows 8.1) and I was able to get speedtest.net to run a test. But TMN is still giving me issues. I was able to run one test and got 1Mbps down. But it won't run anymore tests. I wasn't logged into TMN for it either, so it won't be on my history.

4658934004.png

I'm thinking it might be something on my computer that's causing the issue; Something that wasn't effecting my other user until it was up and running long enough for it to kick in (I rushed to TMN quickly just in case it was something like that). So I'm guessing some kind of malware... but I don't know. I only have AVG installed and I don't want to pay for anything to scan my computer. Do you have any recommendations for free software that is better at scanning and might be able to find something that AVG can't? I mean, I've done scans but I think it's something AVG isn't seeing.

I ran a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM), adwcleaner, and avast browser cleanup. MBAM found 1 thing, and adwcleaner found a handful. They were able to remove them all successfully. My computer is running with a bit more of a spring in its step, but I'm still having the same issue with TMN and speedtest.net.

I tested on a new user account on my computer (windows 8.1) and I was able to get speedtest.net to run a test. But TMN is still giving me issues. I was able to run one test and got 1Mbps down. But it won't run anymore tests. I wasn't logged into TMN for it either, so it won't be on my history.