Need HELP understanding speed test on iOS device

Bkriegel10

Im new to all this & I've been having problems with my wi-fi dropping connection or just being really slow. My ISP which is AT&T told me about this site to test my speed.  I'm using my iPhone 4s to run test, I don't have a computer or tablet.  I also use my wi-fi for my DirecTV & 2 iPods & another cell phone.  According to my ISP I have the fastest internet package they offer.   I would like to know what "download speed test" & "upload speed test" mean?  I run download speed test periodically throughout the day & during the day I always get the result of 2 or higher but after midnight I get results of 1.6 or lower.  Why is it that during the day my speed is fine but at night it's not?  Sorry for the long post but I'm desperate for any advice. 

Welcome to TMN. I don't have the answer for you myself...but I'm sure ca3le or one of the other moderators will reply soon. I'm thinking that it has to do with more users being online at that time slows you down. How is it in the middle of the night??...like now? Can you post up a couple of your tests?

Hi bkriegel10...  I'm seeing some pretty terrible results under your account.

Screen_Shot_2015-10-11_at_7.07.08_AM.thu

At night, is your DirecTV possibly downloading something?  In your situation I might first unplug that to make sure it's not the culprit eating up bandwidth.

Next, what speed does AT&T say you have?  The fastest package... but what's the actual speed because it varies between their markets.

I see that your last results were multithread, switch back to classic linear (there's a link on the download test page).  The multithread test is great but linear will help you more right now.

I would like to know what "download speed test" & "upload speed test" mean?

Download speed test is a test of your Internet connection's download speed, upload speed test is a test of your connection's upload speed.  Combined tests both.  The download test is usually all you need to run to feel the pulse of a connection and see how it's running.  Personally I only test upload speed every now and then or if I feel it's an issue on a particular connection.

Why is it that during the day my speed is fine but at night it's not?  Sorry for the long post but I'm desperate for any advice. 

Your fine, no need to apologize.  It can fluctuate for many reasons.  Sometimes it's within your control, like someone or something in your house (that's maybe on a routine or schedule) eating up bandwidth.  Sometimes it's outside of your control on your ISPs end.  A congested route that only becomes congested during certain hours for instance.  Like I said, first thing I would look at is that DirecTV box.  It really wants more bandwidth than you're feeding it.  ;) --- it may be routinely downloading stuff at night when it figures you're asleep and think's you're not going to care... or it may be someone in the other room.  I have a feeling because of the hours it's happening that it may be within your house.  Usually if it's the ISP's issue the hours follow rush hour style patterns.

My ISP which is AT&T told me about this site to test my speed.  

Sweet, thanks AT&T rep.