Results Clarification Please

KAGarver

I've had wi-fi cable internet installed about a month now (paying for 75/5 "Lightning").  Speeds initially from both TMN and Bright House Networks' internal test were slow.  They seem, however, to have picked up after the replacement of my home cable wire and a supposed "boost from the pole."  My question:  Should my average speed be closer to what I'm paying for or do I settle for a maximum speed of the stated agreement?  Average meaning ~ 50% of the time? 

https://testmy.net/quickstats/KAGarver?d=10292015&x=23

Edited by CA3LE
converted link to graph

I've had wi-fi cable internet installed about a month now (paying for 75/5 "Lightning").  Speeds initially from both TMN and Bright House Networks' internal tests were slow.  They seem, however, to have picked up after the replacement of my home cable wire and a supposed "boost from the pole."  Below are TMN multithread results.  Bright House download speednet testings have ranged from 5.83 to a maximum of 85.35, however they don't provide an average.  My question:  Should my average speed be closer to what I'm paying for (Average meaning ~ 50% of the time?) or do I settle for the maximum listed speed as meeting the stated agreement?  What do you think of the nature of the graph itself?

Edited by CA3LE
merged duplicate thread

When you're seeing ~ 6 Mbps, how sure are you that your computer or someone else on your network isn't transferring anything at that time?  That could explain those dips.

Most of your results looks great.   Try running more linear (single thread) tests to Dallas TX so we can get a better understanding about your connection.  Multithread can usually achieve higher results but the classic test is still best for troubleshooting.  If you get a much lower result with that test it shows room for improvement.  Both test types should have fairly comparable results if the connection is healthy.

https://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&d=11022015&x=9&l=250&q=KAGarver

Bright House refunded me for the two weeks it took them to get me up to speed.  They said I should expect to receive speeds in the 70-80 range.  The last third of the above graph are the linear tests you requested.

I live alone, my connection is strictly wi-fi, and I'm using the 5Ghz band (Channel 40) on an early 2015 MacBook Pro Retina.  I'm wondering if I Ethernet-connect my 2006 MacBook Pro to the cable modem, what if any affect that might have on those graphed peaks and valleys.  Would it possibly help to create more consistency in speeds for my portable laptop.

• 2 weeks later...

https://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&d=11122015&x=14&l=250&q=KAGarver

These are my latest graphs.  It was exciting to see several tests plot straight over a brief period.  Wasn't sure whether this could ever happen or not.  I did forget to mention I have a Nest Thermostat which also pulls from the wi-fi.  Is this just evidence of wi-fi the way it is, or is it possible to expect more consistency?  Maybe with the Ethernet connection I mentioned above.

You should try testing directly connected to ethernet if possible.  If you're able to see more consistent results wired, chances are that your wifi performance could be improved as well.  Wired will give you the best baseline to compare against.  Removes variables.  Try directly to the modem and then directly to the router.  Those results should be identical.

Also 5Ghz band will have a harder time with walls etc than 2.4Ghz keep that in mind I would play with your wireless settings and bands till you start getting a more consistent string of tests that is of course after you get your network running the way you want it