Good speeds on speedtest.net but subpar here

relish

• 6 months later...
33 minutes ago, FriskyMoose said:

most ISPs whitelist speedtest.net hence you will see a big difference. 

@FriskyMoose

A site first must be blacklisted, which would mean no access what so ever. And this has nothing to do with throughput.

Testmy.net has been around since 2001

Domain Name: TESTMY.NET
   Registrar: GODADDY.COM, LLC
   Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 146
   Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
   Referral URL: http://www.godaddy.com
   Name Server: ERIN.NS.CLOUDFLARE.COM
   Name Server: KIP.NS.CLOUDFLARE.COM
   Status: clientDeleteProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited
   Status: clientRenewProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientRenewProhibited
   Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
   Status: clientUpdateProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited
   Updated Date: 02-apr-2016
   Creation Date: 09-oct-2001
   Expiration Date: 09-oct-2024

In fact that is how I found out about testmy.net, through the ISP I had at the time , they as in (the head network engineer) recommended that I come over here and get a real world test result.

Anyone pulling 600 Mbps on TestMy.net has nothing to complain about.

People can get differing results because speedtest.net and TestMy.net have come up with different solutions.  They are fundamentally different on nearly every level so the results can't truly be compared.  There are about 10 different reasons why TMN can score lower on the same connection on the same computer.  I've exhaustively talked about the subject all over this forum and others.  Those who don't dismiss TMN's results often report back that they improve on their TMN result and get it to fall more in line with speedtest.net's inflated numbers.

TestMy.net doesn't just pull numbers out of the sky, something has to influence the result to make it read lower.  If everything were 100% perfectly ideal, with zero limitations between the host and client machines... TMN would throw you an error because it knows it's not possible.  :evil6:

I sure would love to have that speed...:o

It does bug me also that most people I've encountered that sees a much lower speed on TestMy automatically puts the fault at TestMy instead of their ISP not being able to measure their connection as I've lost count of the number of times I've tried explaining why the two sites give such different results.  Here, I'm talking about speeds in the 50Mbps to 100Mbps region where TestMy may throw up 6 to 8Mbps while Speedtest.net throws up 40 to 50Mbps, such as what I see on my 4G connection from time to time.

The primarily reason is that Speedtest.net always runs its test multi-threaded and discards the 30% lowest readings during its test, while TestMy makes a linear connection to the Test server and factors in the entire test including dips in its test result.  So when my 4G connection is showing a test result of 6Mbps, I know that ~750KB/s is what to expect from individual downloads and generally that's the case, even when Speedtest.net claims I'm getting 40+Mbps.  This is especially important with streaming services as a Speedtest.net result of let's say 20Mbps does not necessarily mean that YouTube can stream video at 6Mbps for 1080p video. 

Another way to double-check your connection is with a download from Leaseweb's test file set.  Start the download of a large file (e.g. 1000MB sample) and wait a few seconds for the transfer rate figure settles.  Multiply this figure by 8 to convert to Mbps and you should get what your ISP is sustaining in this transfer.  For me, this generally matches up with what I get with the TestMy UK and Germany servers nearest to me and it's very unlikely that the bottleneck along the route is at Leaseweb's end. 

Technically, I don't know why, but I get consistently about 20% lower down to Miami, and 10% lower to Dallas than the prior Washington DC  server. The Dallas connection through TWC's routing has always been a little slower than the DC server was. Lately my test result plots have huge variation in them - much more than a few months ago. I'll probably call them about it. I haven't hit my 50 Mbps plan speed for quite a few weeks now regardless of time of day, when in the past it was always 52-53 to Washington any hour except maybe 5-11PM. They likely won't do anything about it, but if enough people report congestion, they have changed things in the past.

update 9/2/16: since this posting, my wired router between my AirPort Extreme and my cable modem failed. It was intermittent (causing erratic results I mentioned above) and finally failed hard. The new Gigabit router sped my whole system up so that both on wireless and on wired Ethernet I'm now at 60 Mbps down, and 5.8 up. My plan is 50/5. Amazing that I'm getting 60 on virtually everything in the house. I see the same on the Speedtest app on my iPad Air 2, but I think that's mostly because that's the limitation of my plan. It used to read about 10-20% higher than TestMy. 

Another curiosity is that when I used to run Multithreaded tests here to three servers, the speed would always be 50-60% of my tests to individual servers. Now with the new gigabit router, Multithread testing to NY, Dallas, and Miami gives me the full 60 Mbps.

• 2 months later...

I have AT&T U verse 45 MB Internet - ATT Speed test always shows down load speeds of 55+ and upload speeds of 5 MB+  --- From watching the "speedometer" the needle fluctuates a lot during the tests as is shown in the graphs from TNM - What appears to me to be happening on the ATT Speed test results is that ATT only shows you the Highest peak from the test as your "speed" which makes them look far better than they actually are.  The actual "sustained usable speed" from ATT is actually lower than advertised.  We are a multiple user household which is why we have the 45 MB internet.  There are times when several people are using the network (Dell Gigabit Switch for wired and ATT Wi-Fi for phones) when pages seem to lock up even though in total we're using at best 20 MB of bandwidth.  The TNM test seems to show why this is happening as we are not getting a stable speed/bandwidth from ATT.