Comcast upload not showing up to the party

https://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&d=01132016&x=5&y=u&l=25&q=CA3LE

Started yesterday, upload is almost nonexistent.  Download is affected too but not as pronounced.  Called Comcast and the automated phone system said that there are issues in my area and techs are working on it.  I'll be testing to see how long it's like this and then call Comcast for a credit for those days.  I appreciate that's it's still online but that degraded upload speed is affecting my daily use.

No question, I just wanted to share what it looks like when your upload speed is severely affected by outside technical issues.

... and this is why you test regularly.  You can be credited when it's not right.

By the way, my Internet really feels fine.  It's only when I upload something that it's an issue.  Surfing around feels normal.

Still running horrible.

https://testmy.net/stats/?&t=c&d=01152016&x=3&y=u&l=25&q=4602014672148

Only 160 MB upload to youtube...

5697e16f43de5_ScreenShot2016-01-14at10.5

That would normally be done in 60 seconds...

... even worse since I started this post.

5697e3910ddba_ScreenShot2016-01-14at11.0

Edited by CA3LE
fixed graph to only show my cable connection

What did you do, delete my post?  Oh well.

I was just saying that it ended up taking over two hours to upload that 158.5 MB to youtube.  For fun I ran speedtest.net, also to Colorado Springs and got...

4997343668.png.ac2e9710851e31fdd9345d733

... if my upload were that fast the youtube upload would have only taken 11 minutes.  Why so many people use that site, I have no idea.  Maybe they like looking at a page full of lies and ads.

Screen-Shot-2016-01-14-at-11.05.14-AM.th

There are so many ads I can't find the result!  Visit us at ads.speedtest.ads.  Why do people use that?!

6 hours ago, CA3LE said:

I was just saying that it ended up taking over two hours to upload that 158.5 MB to youtube.  For fun I ran speedtest.net, also to Colorado Springs and got...

4997343668.png.ac2e9710851e31fdd9345d733

... if my upload were that fast the youtube upload would have only taken 11 minutes.  Why so many people use that site, I have no idea.  Maybe they like looking at a page full of lies and ads.

Reminds me of the Speedtest Android app measuring my DSL uplink.  It often reported above 1Mbps even though the DSL uplink is physically synced at 384kbps and an actual throughput of just over 300kbps.

They seem to have fixed this bug and now it under measures my uplink usually with a result about 200kbps.  TestMy generally reports around 300Kbps, which matches up pretty well to the 35KB/s to 40KB/s I get during FTP uploads.

On 1/15/2016 at 0:03 PM, CA3LE said:

What did you do, delete my post?  Oh well.

[snip for cruft]

There are so many ads I can't find the result!  Visit us at ads.speedtest.ads.  Why do people use that?!

I use it a couple times a year, for that feel good feeling, thing. However I mostly know better.

Sweet!  It worked flawlessly.  TMN just got me a credit on my Internet bill! 

Called Comcast and instead of just crediting me for the 15 days they gave me $10 off per month for the next 12 months!!  $120, woot woot!

Told them I test every day and have logged the dip for the past 15 days... without a question they offered me either 15 days credit or $10/month off for the next 12 months.  The choice was a no brainer... I'll take those winnings in an annuity please. :-P

That's a very nice improvement! B)

It's very rare to get any sort of credit for degraded performance on any ISP here in Ireland.  In fact, after countless complaining about my NWE Bluebox wireless connection, they finally sent a technician to have a look.  The engineers planned charging me for a call out because the connection "worked" as all they cared about was that there was connectivity at their time of checking even though I mentioned it's been going steadily up & down with erratic speed.  Thankfully after they ran a few tests, it threw up a few "Connection timed out" errors in a row.  They updated the firmware on the antenna and said they would charge me for the call out after showing a 12Mbps down / 1Mbps up result on speedtest.net.  I'm glad I watched over their back to see the timed out errors got them to accept the connection as being fixed by a firmware update.  They were only out the door about 30 minutes before the connection went erratic again.  I've now written to cancel it as it's practically useless having a connection that I can't stream or reliably upload files on. 

• 2 months later...

Sweet, most I ever got was a Huge argument with a tech once that I almost knocked out, (over using their speed test and Testmynet) but that was quite a while ago

and a $20 credit when tech failed to show up to deliver my Wireless Gateway.

Finally (though they try to claim their tests are more accurate) they have realized that the results from one test to the other mean squat when I can show results from testmy.net going back shoot what 7 years now 7 years and 3 months lol

when I have that kind of data to compare when I had speed increases, they had hardware issues or network issues

they really have no legitimate reason to argue what test I use.

when I show last month all test results average say 80 Mbps download and now I get 25Mbps download  there is a issue even if their lame tests show me getting 100 Mbps which so funny that those same tests show a 180Mbps download speed when my speed tier is capped at 150Mbps

I know them enough to know they will not give away an extra Mbps nor even cover the 10-20% loss to make end user actual speed match speed tier.

They could actually cap speed at say 180 Mbps then at testing computer would actual be receiving that 150 Mbps

or cap whatever tier 20% higher then advertised.

(now I am just tossing #'s and percentage I do not know for fact these are 100% accurate just to be used as examples)

I have seen upload speed drop so much it hinders download harshly.

I wonder why when Xfinity upgraded download speed from 50-100-150 Mbps they never really did squat with upload. it has stayed around 10 Mbps for eons.

I did hear it was due to adding 4 more channels to upload would put them in the 88Mhz range which has huge amount of noise etc. due to radio.

For instance on my new gateway I have 16 Channels for downstream but only 4 for upstream while the gateway is capable of 24 channels down and 8 up.