OpenVZ dump to Openvz container (Not Migrate)

mudmanc4

How to  import an existing OpenVZ container into a running OpenVZ container?

Not doable as I understand. Yet there must be a way to take one virtual server dump and get it running in a completely different instance. Not having control over the HW node itself.

The cruft of it all if you think it will help:

Why, would be my first question if I were asked this.

For one, everything is going LXC, must I follow, no, but I am here. I would much rather have a clean updated system capable of utilizing the latest stable versions. And supplying a better more versatile service by offering more at a lower end user cost.

Secondly I am planning on adding a HW node, therefore I want to use existing income to fund expansion, so moving existing CT's to updated, lesser costly hardware is relevant, more so, mandatory.

By wiping the node and starting fresh in this instance I can do this.

Here's the problem I've run into.

At the moment, I've got a hardware node with just one viable container running. Massive waste. As most other containers have already been migrated to new hardware, they were simple static web pages very basic, some with small databases, just very simple. There are a few left, but of no concern they can be easily moved at any time.

The last to go is the CT I speak of, with roughly 18GB in size, multiple databases and various application, an email server with sheep tons of history, and a file server.

I could move everything by hand, but there is yet another issue. The Kolab server. After three years in place, and a failed update on other instances, it's just not worth the trouble even possible complete corruption of this attempt. Which would be required before any viable move to a newer version, which older versions are no longer available. Therefore I cannot just install underlying applications on the new CT and import databases ect. without a huge headache.