What does NFW mean?

steve23094

1 hour ago, steve23094 said:

Hi,

In the auto speed section there is a button labelled NFW.  What does it do?

Welcome!

NFW means "No ForWard" -- the test will stick to the size you specify and won't automatically forward when it might otherwise.  Note: under certain circumstances it may forward, for example, there are minimum criteria for test size (6 MB download, 1.5 MB upload).

1 hour ago, steve23094 said:

Am I correct that the maximum number of tests performed on auto will always be 100?  I would prefer never ending.

Thanks.

Sorry, right now 100 is the max.  If you extend the time between each test you can get 100 days.

One of the reasons it's set that way is because I don't want people mindlessly forgetting about the test.  Here's what I can do instead of that limit.  The next version can allow longer duration but will periodically email you to remind you that it's running.  If you've set a test over a month long duration, it could email you the log once a day.

It's actually built in to allow more time... but you have to know that to make it work that way.  I'll PM you a link.

I'll work on giving you more options to extend the time in upcoming versions.

I got your link and am using it now.  Thanks very much for your quick and helpful reply.

I use OS X and was looking for a native app, the only one I could find was called 'Network Logger Pro'.  Unfortunately I had to return it for a refund because I just couldn't get on with the interface, it wasn't designed well at all.  Your website is most useful and well laid out, keep up the good work.

I'm curious how you make money, do you sell the data back to ISPs?  I'm okay with this I'm just wondering out loud.

2 hours ago, steve23094 said:

I got your link and am using it now.  Thanks very much for your quick and helpful reply.

I use OS X and was looking for a native app, the only one I could find was called 'Network Logger Pro'.  Unfortunately I had to return it for a refund because I just couldn't get on with the interface, it wasn't designed well at all.  Your website is most useful and well laid out, keep up the good work.

No problem, glad to help.  Thank you too.

2 hours ago, steve23094 said:

I'm curious how you make money, do you sell the data back to ISPs?  I'm okay with this I'm just wondering out loud.

I sell advertising but try to not over do it.  Huge segments of TMN's traffic never even see an ad.

ISPs and other entities have offered to pay for analytics, many times.  Instead of just giving them what they want I'm building TMN to do it for me.  Instead of sharing the information with only those who pay for it TMN aims to share all of its collected information with everyone, for free.   (within the privacy policy guidelines of course) -- with help from those requests the information presented here will become more and more detailed in future versions.

• 5 months later...

steve23094     1

Members

2 posts

Posted February 10 · 

I use OS X and was looking for a native app, the only one I could find was called 'Network Logger Pro'.  Unfortunately I had to return it for a refund because I just couldn't get on with the interface, it wasn't designed well at all.  Your website is most useful and well laid out, keep up the good work.

I'm curious how you make money, do you sell the data back to ISPs?  I'm okay with this I'm just wondering out loud.

You and Ben Williams like this  Unlike this

Respected Steve and Ben! You should have a look at my facebook URL facebook.com/bob.tallon.98

I do not mind punishing a big ISP with suing but I need friends wishing like too..We should unite and grow in strengh..It seems moderator has deleted my topic "money" I placed on forum today few hours ago right after first time became the member of "our" community..Seems they just gather information with thé aim You mentioned hère..Lets sée what democracy is next here..would théy delete even the reply or kick me out for troubles on future..Seems thats why they let only a look at thé saved test result file with no possibilité of downloading it..Though great fréé work opening eyes of usées, if one said A then say B if telling ABCs

21 hours ago, Bob Tallon said:

Respected Steve and Ben! You should have a look at my facebook URL facebook.com/bob.tallon.98

I do not mind punishing a big ISP with suing but I need friends wishing like too..We should unite and grow in strengh..It seems moderator has deleted my topic "money" I placed on forum today few hours ago right after first time became the member of "our" community..Seems they just gather information with thé aim You mentioned hère..Lets sée what democracy is next here..would théy delete even the reply or kick me out for troubles on future..Seems thats why they let only a look at thé saved test result file with no possibilité of downloading it..Though great fréé work opening eyes of usées, if one said A then say B if telling ABCs

@Bob Tallon ,

The reason I removed the post was simply due to to what gave the appearance of spam, or the attempt to redirect away from testmy.net traffic to a personal conversation platform.

I speak for myself, however the general consensus I believe, is we, as in us, you included are on the same page. Many ISP's fail to provide quality service, or even what the customer is paying for on a level not tolerated in many, if any other sectors.

22 hours ago, Bob Tallon said:

I'm curious how you make money, do you sell the data back to ISPs?  I'm okay with this I'm just wondering out loud.

You and Ben Williams like this  Unlike this

@Bob Tallon I sell ad space, the ads just don't show up on every page in every scenario.  Entire segments of traffic see no ads.  Sometimes you have to sell yourself instead of someone else... but there are still bills to be paid. :-D 

Your topic wasn't ever deleted, it just never went live.  Moderators were probably on the fence because you included your facebook URL.  They're being cautious, exactly what they're supposed to do.  We get a lot of spam that the public never sees, being selective with who's allowed to post and filtering what comes through has helped a lot.  There are far less posts to the forum than there used to be but what is posted is quality conversation from real people.  Once you've built enough status here the posting restrictions are removed, it has to be earned by making clean posts. (you're a full member now by the way)  

Our biggest assault doesn't come from people, it comes from robots.  Much of the authentication and moderation is to make sure that all posts are made by humans.  We also scan suspicious content and search it against Google to make sure the content is unique.  We don't want content that's been posted on other sites unless the source is cited.  Mods are not allowed to delete posts or threads just because they don't personally agree with the content or the poster.  They are allowed to hide content if they feel it can in any way harm TestMy.net or it's reputation.  For instance, if someone starts posting a bunch of hateful KKK stuff... sorry, this isn't the place.  That post isn't going to last long here and will most likely will never be seen by anyone but the staff here.  Some people talk politics here and that's okay it only becomes a problem if the conversation becomes completely hateful in context.  If you exercise any level of common sense, you'll be fine. :haha:

So when you're new here and you make your first posts, it's normal for them to not show up for a little while.  Any more that 24 hours is unacceptable though, I apologize for that.  The mods had left that for me to look at closer and I didn't have a chance to get to it in a timely manor.  In the middle of moving my home and office so I'm not at my computer like normal right now.

Bob, are you trying to download your saved results?  Go to https://testmy.net/myresults (My Results in the menu) and look for "Export" below the graph.

23 hours ago, Bob Tallon said:

Your website is most useful and well laid out, keep up the good work.

Thank you very much!  I have much more to offer, hope you stick around.

Thank You Respected CA3LE the admin and creator of this very helpful for internet users the Website! It would be a great honor to befriend such sharing his knowledges and heping people worldwide..my URL on facebook.com/Bob.Tallon.98/ ..If You can help me and later many in a community of robbed clients by monopolistic providers here in Kazakhstan, it would be more great..If we win we can win big money which will be useful in making the world better for internet users...again Respectfullyand Hopefully Bob Tallon

• 1 year later...
On 2/10/2016 at 11:59 AM, CA3LE said:

NFW means "No ForWard" -- the test will stick to the size you specify and won't automatically forward when it might otherwise.

Hi there, new user here. Its a great service and many thanks. I was also wondering what NFW meant, but I must be a bit dense, lol. Forward what to where? :mellow:

I am on a 25/5 connection, and would like to test for 30 days. What amount of download data amount would you suggest? I notice sometimes that when downloading stuff from servers, it starts off fairly fast and gradually the download speed seems to slow down (tho not always) Would 100mb be a good start?

Thanks  Chris

@Chris Morgan , The test will be taken as you have selected, such as 20MB 50 MB 100MB or whatever you click.

Normal test will 'forward' to a larger test file, until the test time takes n seconds, which I believe is seven seconds (that does not seem correct and I cannot locate the correct answer)

At any rate, this all just means you'll test one file, the one you chose, and no more.

As for deciding how to set auto tests, 100MB would be fine in your case, since you've explained the ISP could have a 'burst' on initial startup. This would be helpful for smaller data movement. Where the aperture opens up past the set standard momentarily, once a set data threshold is reached, closes back to standard (allocated package, or what you contract from the ISP.)