TMN worked fine for one day on automatic, now only force test works

fey42

It was working fine if you look at my log. I did delete some entries BTW..

I was switching between wired and WiFi and forcing some tests, which worked, but when I set it back to automatic, it runs the first test and no more. If you look at my log, you can see a string of 1 hour tests and then some forced tests.

Since I was running TMN at a friends house I pulled up your site at my house later to see the results and found the problem. So I tried running it at my house last night and only the first test worked.

Is this because I am trying to use TMN from two different IP addresses, with the same login,  and confusing the program?

Should I create him an account?   If I do that can I still look at his results and not upset the apple cart?

We are trying to resolve why his WiFi is dropping so low during prime time.

Thanks, Fred, fey42

@fey42 I think you hit spot on with two logins from two IP's running at the same time, though I could be wrong.

I would do just that, make an account for him, and yes you should have no issues reading the results.

And again, good idea running the auto tests for extended periods of time , through the busy, or peak times to log network overloads.

If you're logged in it will help if the IP changes. 

There are new features coming to the next version on TMN that will help even if you aren't logged in.  I intend on making this a nonissue going forward.

Here's a related post

Welcome to TestMy.net by the way, glad you joined.

That did not cure the problem. It is still hung after the first test on  5 min at 24 times

I will try logging out and logging back in.

T+7min --- That did not help either.

I am on a different computer, could that be the problem?

I'll switch back to the original computer and see if that helps.

Be Back

7 minutes ago, CA3LE said:

No, I misunderstood your first message.  Logging in isn't the issue.

Make sure your computer isn't set to sleep, once it falls asleep the program does too. ;)  -- it's very common.

Sometimes it's the most simple things we can overlook. Interested to hear what @fey42 has to say.

45 minutes ago, CA3LE said:

No, I misunderstood your first message.  Logging in isn't the issue.

Make sure your computer isn't set to sleep, once it falls asleep the program does too. ;)  -- it's very common.

Both my laptops are set not to sleep.

So far I have no joy, I am back on the original computer that I started with.

Yesterday I also had a case of FireFox shutting down.

Capture.PNG

T+8min

It tested 2 times and then quit.

Now what?

17 minutes ago, CA3LE said:

Try running the test with Chrome -- maybe your firefox is buggy. 

So before, you were able to run the auto test without issues, it's just been recently that this has been happening?

This machine is an almost fresh install of W7.

Latest Firefox.

I first found and started using your program yesterday and 3:45PM PST. It worked fine the first time and hasn't since.

Off to load Chrome, be back..

Running Chrome, start at 2:04PM PDT

Successfully ran all 5 of the 5 min tests on Chrome.

I will try a longer run and see if it holds.

New test run start 2:36 on Chrome.

I reported earlier that Firefox shut down during one test run.

Seems that might be the problem.

Any clue?

Nothing seems to be working quite right.

I selected run 5 min tests 25 ea and it quit before completing. Seems to be able to do a short series, but not a long series. See attached file.

Tried 5 min at 100 on hjb44 and it stated it would run 50, not the 100 and even that quit after about 15 or so.

Meanwhile, if you scroll down to read the results you lose the top part of the screen that tells where you are in the sequence and what time the next test will be.

Everything is being run under Chrome as you suggested.

Both are running Windows 7, one is 32 bit, the other 64 bit.

Clipboard01.jpg

2 hours ago, mudmanc4 said:

let me ask you this, how long would you like the test to run?

I would like it to run 100 times at 5minute intervals or at 10 minute intervals.

I am testing my download speed over an extended period to prove to my ISP that they have bandwidth problems during peak time periods.

If you look at the URL in the picture (right above your post) you can see that I requested 10 minute intervals and 100 each. It only ran 50.

The one above that shows 5 minutes 20 times and it stopped after 18. It failed to complete the sequence.

Thanks, Fred

@fey42 , I do hope you have been able to test as you wish.

What I notice in some of your tests is a very low throughput being detected at certain times, which leads me to believe, at times,  with a very high or unresponsive ping request, could cause the program to terminate the session, as if you had closed the tab during the auto test.

Now I did not write the program, nor do I know the specific parameters of cutoff, but this appears a likely reason for the auto test not finishing.

I have ran the auto test, and I can select a test to run every five, or ten minutes, one hundred times. Just play around with the settings a bit.

That is not the problem.

Look below and you will see in the URL I selected 100 tests at 5 minutes, yet the info in red shows only 50 tests will be run.

I think we need to wait for a"higher power" to weigh in.

tmn.JPG

Edited by fey42
missed screen shot

I understand. 

All I can personally say until @CA3LE chimes in, is that if you choose every five minutes, the limit is 50 tests,anything below 30 minutes will be limited to 50 tests, as it states in red,  if you choose thirty minutes, then the limit is raised to one hundred tests. Throttling, considering the vast amount of users that can be testing at one time. 

Go ahead and try the setting I suggest if you would not mind. 

On 8/1/2016 at 3:34 PM, mudmanc4 said:

I understand. 

All I can personally say until @CA3LE chimes in, is that if you choose every five minutes, the limit is 50 tests,anything below 30 minutes will be limited to 50 tests, as it states in red,  if you choose thirty minutes, then the limit is raised to one hundred tests. Throttling, considering the vast amount of users that can be testing at one time. 

Go ahead and try the setting I suggest if you would not mind. 

That's not fair, you expect me to read everything golly gee whiz.. :-)

Hard to make it stand out more unless it was BOLD and italics also.

That would be my problem, not the program.

Having made the mistake once, I kept on repeating it.

I was trying to get a good window around prime time, that starts on the East Coast at 7PM and ends at 11PM West Coast.

All cleared up.