Low bandwidth!

hawkman624

The Local Area Connection reads that I have 100Mbps which I KNOW is not the case. I pay $74.00 plus change every month for my phone bill. And I do have a wireless Modem ( which I connect a telephone wire to) is also provided by Windstream. I have talked to Windstream several times . They have sent this old guy that I think I know more about computers than he does. Just because I live in rural America doesn't mean I have to get cheated. I'm stumped. Would Xfinity or something like that work better here?

The Local Area Network, or LAN, can and will achieve 100MBps with cards as old as ~1990 give or take ten years depending on what card and network it is.

The Wide Area Network, or WAN, is what the ISP controls.

To visualize the idea, think of the WAN  as the jug of milk.

Now think of the opening of the jug of milk as the Network card in your machine in this instance.

Lots of milk in that jug, the size of the opening, where the 'cap' / bandwidth is, will determine at which the flow of milk runs from inside the jug, to the glass / LAN.

Just as; lots of available 'bandwidth' or available flow on the WAN, where settings or size of the 'cap' or capacity of flow in the network card to the local machine.

Where are you reading the 100MBps from? If it is hovering over an icon in the lower task bar in windows, that is the current maximum theoretical speed the Local network, or LAN can achieve from the hardware / software which controls it.

Where are you reading 'Not enough bandwidth' ?

And what are you attempting to do when seeing this message?

The 100Mbps info your seeing may be the max theoretical limit of your hardware on your local area network, but what plan you are on may be something less. When I look in the database here on TestMy.net, none of the speeds logged for any of the Windstream members average anywhere near 100 Mbps.

image.jpeg

Your speeds still seem very low, so I still would keep contacting them. Ask them what download speed should you expect as a max. 

Since your our speed with the Ethernet cable connected was the same as when on wireless, it's obviously not a wireless signal strength problem. Try booting in Safe mode with networking and see if that makes a difference. That eliminates some software issues.

you could also check with friends using Windstream and find out what their speeds are - tell them to measure using TestMy.net.

if you're using a laptop, you could take it to a friends house and run speed tests there and see if your results are any different.

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning, im pretty new to this kind of stuff and was wondering if anyone was able to help me out. I've had broadband internet for about 11 months now and I'm very curious as to my internet speeds cause to me it seems a little on the slow side by quite a lot. I've enquired about this to my ISP but they keep telling me it's all within their acceptable limits. So just hoping to clarify my concerns with someone other than my ISP.

https://testmy.net/HsN7l6iLd.7Mpq6EOUi.png  
select all, copy, paste somewhere.

Thanks in advance.Screenshot_20160911-015631.png

Screenshot_20160911-020153.png

21 hours ago, MattyJD said:

Good morning, im pretty new to this kind of stuff and was wondering if anyone was able to help me out. I've had broadband internet for about 11 months now and I'm very curious as to my internet speeds cause to me it seems a little on the slow side by quite a lot. I've enquired about this to my ISP but they keep telling me it's all within their acceptable limits. So just hoping to clarify my concerns with someone other than my ISP.

https://testmy.net/HsN7l6iLd.7Mpq6EOUi.png  
select all, copy, paste somewhere.

Thanks in advance.Screenshot_20160911-015631.png

Screenshot_20160911-020153.png

I noticed you had one fast test 4.7 Mbps on  9/10/16 at 11:48 pm. I don't know if that's indicative of less congestion in your area after prime time - the rest of your test data was from about 9AM to 9PM.

are you on a mobile device testing via phone service? Or on your home network"