Do routers get old or outdated?

lgllyblonde

Hi, hope someone can help me with this. Have had my router for at least 6 years. Speed is ok in bedroom where router is, no connection to Wi-Fi in the living room at all which is down a level. My question I guess is would I get better connection, speed and coverage if I bought a new router? 

Thanks! 

Edited by lgllyblonde
Move to different forum?

First, tell everyone the specifics of what you have right now.  What's the max speed of your connection?  Do you do a lot of transfer within your home network or do you stick to the Internet?  How many computers do you have.. and how many other devices do you have.  ... also, what is the distance from your preferred location of the modem and router from the main areas of your house?  Is the router located centrally in the home or in a corner?  

As you can see there are many variables.  Give us a better picture of what you have going on, it will help our recommendations.

Personally, I shoot for overkill.  But my needs may be different from your own.  Depending on the details of your needs, you can save a lot of money by getting what you'll really use rather than just going for the ultimate.

• 2 weeks later...

I had my old Virgin Media wireless router replaced with the latest version,following low internet speeds,and it has vastly improved my download speeds.

The adviser at the Help Desk suggested  it,as I was only averaging about 8MBS download speeds,while I was paying for "up to" 100MBS!

Now I have been averaging nearly 70MBS,much better!

Doug