NAS drives affect download speeds Virgin states

marcusgelling

I have been paying Virgin for 150Mbps of broadband download speed for two years, and never got close to it.  Having complained many times, I was told by a (clearly very young) guy last night at 10pm, that my download speed is affected by the NAS storage and phone I have attached.  The PC I am typing from is directly attached to the router, so I have always assumed that the download speed (pinging) to my PC, relates directly to the actual download speed, and would not be affected at the initial point by NAS, well not to the extent that I usually only get around 20 Mbps or even less than 1Mbp sometimes!!  When with Sky, this NEVER happened once in two years, so am I right in assuming I am being lied to?  The contract I signed with Virgin stated categorically I would never fall below the bottom of the range I was paying for, IE: never below 100 Mbps, but loner customers can hardly sue Virgin Media can they.  I start every conversation off with, "I'm a regular caller, and I expect you'll telll me there's an issue in my area, and that engineers are working on it", to which they always reply yes..........  two years to fix an issue?????  It feels more to me like Virgin direct their broadband capabilities to large businesses whenever the need arises.  Does anyone else have any experience of this, or could confirm that NAS drives would reduce the download speed to my PC which is directly attached to the router. I have cabled up the rest of my house, so only the mobiles use WiFi when on....  I questioned whether attaching their TV boxes had the same effect, to which I could not get a response, because if so, they should state this at the time you sign up.  £160 per month, with download speeds of less than 1Mbps sometimes, is absolutely utterly ridiculously outrageous, (I'm furious now), but fortunately my contract ends soon, however, the thought of completely re-wiring the house which I've re-wired, networked and re-plumbed entirely behind hand crafted skirting kinda puts me off!  Many thanks in anticipation, Marcus

If the NAS is sharing data, streaming data over the public WAN, then this of course can eat into the available bandwidth.

However looking at your results database, it appears to be limited to 10 Mbps, so the above would not come into play on the WAN, that is [Not] enough to inhibit the download channels.

Now if you are streaming on the LAN, at a constant high rate, this could be choking the router /switch, in it's worst case, LAN only.

A VOIP system in use with two live lines in it's most extreme , might use up to 1.4Mbps mostly on the upload channel for voice quality.

Ping an throughput are two completely different protocols.

Where a Ping would send a structured packet such as ringing the doorbell and waiting for a response. Outputting the difference in latency. The it's connection is closed, in milliseconds.

Where streaming, downloading or uploading on the WAN, or to the internet, will in it's most simple configuration, keep a connection open.

So your answer is no.

There are other variables that could be in play here, from the information you've given, no.

When was the last time Virgin sent a tech to your address to check everything out?