Fios Installs - How did they go??

Ronnie1055

For those of us who have been lucky enough to have FIOS installed...  please share your experience.

Mine, was great.  I had already run Cat 6 cable from my PC area to where the ONT was going to be placed.  The installers were great and really excited that I had probably cut two hours out of their install.  I ended up staying outside and talking to them the whole install and they pretty well let me do everything inside... even configure the router and setup.  They just stood over my shoulder and told me what to do.

They had another crew come by towards the end and we had five techs in my room while I was doing speed test.  The funny part of the deal was one of the techs was explaining how I needed to enable security on my wireless... I told him as soon as they left he wouldn't even be able to see my connection... so we had a challenge going.  He said if he could see it he would come back to the house... he drove by and was out there about five minutes... honked and drove off.  Great guys!!!

KC...

Yeah, I was sweating the sprinkler system myself... but got lucky.  I have a run that goes right along where they had marked to bury the fiber.  Luckily... I was at home when the crew came out to bury it... I had them move about 10 inches further out and everything ended up OK.

Sorry to hear about your install... that would have driven me nuts. 

Cheers,

Ronnie

My install went great... They came out the day before and dug up the yard. HEH.. My yard you cannot tell the 3 houses next to me have a line gong through their yard. No damage.. The tech showed up toward the end of the time window, but they called so no big deal. The Tech did not want to crawl through my attic (floor not boarded) so of course I did the wire pulling. Besides that all was well. They basicall y did what I wanted.. I installed the software(MSN premium not wanted). They even place the FIOS sign in my yard while working so I could harass the neighbors.. All in All great experience.. Ever since no issues .. well I'm running out of Hard drive space (minor issue)...

:D SOAHF  :D

First, welcome to the board!!

I am glad to hear the install went without incident.  Also, welcome to the world of FIOS... isn't great!!

What package did you get??  Please keep us informed on how things are going... BTW... go buy a new hard drive ;)

Ronnie...I have about a 100' of cable modem coax from the outside to my router now. The attic is a mix of floored and unfloored with little access to drop areas. Will they tie onto my coax with the CAT5 and just pull it all thru or will I have to have CAT5 run by myself? My install is 4/2/05.

Ronnie...I have about a 100' of cable modem coax from the outside to my router now. The attic is a mix of floored and unfloored with little access to drop areas. Will they tie onto my coax with the CAT5 and just pull it all thru or will I have to have CAT5 run by myself? My install is 4/2/05.

billi... 

it is going to depend on the installers.  I would say most of them will... however, talk to them when they get there and let them give you some options.  You may be surprised what they come up with.  One thing to note.... if you do it yourself you will cut about 1  2 hours out of the install time.  Just a thought.

Please let us know how the install goes.  What package did you get???

Cheers,

Ronnie :D

Guest DruNk

it's very easy to trench cable/fiber/etc....... without making it noticeable.  i'm really excited about this as i'm an avid gamer.  as for the runs in the attic.  do it yourself.  just use your old rg6 as a fishing tool, tape on to it.

My installation went fine...Im runnign through a dodgy wireless router so Im only pulling down 13 something as best as I can tell....still my online gaming has improved...I get super ping rates so far..pulling up CSS lists of servers and its page after page of sub 10 pings..1 page worth of 6 ping servers...I can play on UK servers at around 100 and change..I have been frustrated since i dont have any really huge files left to DL ..oh well I'll think of something

• 2 weeks later...

My installation went fine...Im runnign through a dodgy wireless router so Im only pulling down 13 something as best as I can tell....still my online gaming has improved...I get super ping rates so far..pulling up CSS lists of servers and its page after page of sub 10 pings..1 page worth of 6 ping servers...I can play on UK servers at around 100 and change..I have been frustrated since i dont have any really huge files left to DL ..oh well I'll think of something

Yea the Pings Rock on games....... Ahh try some test downloads form the NEwsGroups...... Lots of big files out there...  :)

• 2 weeks later...

My install went great.  The guys showed up right on time and got right to work.  I told them I had some cat6 cable I wanted them to run since cat5e (what they use) doesn't use all of the wire pairs and cat6 does, not to mention cat6 is twice as fast as cat5e and makes my setup future-proof.  But I digress...  I helped one tech out (Mike) in my attic showing him where the computer room approximately was, so he crouch-crawled over to the area and told me to go knock on the wall near an electrical outlet.  I did as I was told, and shortly thereafter I heard a drill going through the header in the attic.  He came back down, I moved my computer out of the way, and he cut a small square hole for a new RJ45 outlet.  This is where the install goes differently than for people that use the wire they supply.  I had him put a dummy block in the top hole and just run the cable through the bottom hole of the outlet, but normally they will put a dummy block in a hole and install a jack in the other hole so all you do is plug a cable into the wall and then into your router.  Not really a big difference to me, either way I have a cable coming out of my wall  :)  Anyway, back outside the other tech (Ed) had installed the ONT (which is very futuristic and high-tech looking, way cool) and had it partially wired with the fiber optic cable connected and my phone line connected.  He was installing the battery backup in my garage near my circuit breaker.  Interestingly enough the battery backup isn't really for the ONT as far as the internet connection goes, but it is more for the POTS (plain ol telephone service).  The tech told me that since everything was coming through the fiber optics now, if the power went out and I had to make a call, when I picked up the phone the battery would kick in allowing the ONT to convert my phone signals to optical and vice versa.  He also said it works in 15 minute bursts, so if I pick up the phone and immediately hang up again, the battery should still be giving juice for 15 minutes.  Lifespan was probably 8 hours or so on the backup, but who is on the phone for 8 hours in a power failure  :lol:  Back into the attic with Mike to show him approximately where the ONT lines up in relation to the available space in the atttic so he can drop the cat6 cable down as well as the cat3 for the power (at least I think that is what it is for, I never really found that part out, the cat3 runs from the power supply in the garage to the ONT outside, I don't think it has anything to do with the battery backup).  I went back inside for a minute to re-hook up my computer since I had to unplug allllll my cables to move the computer far enough out of the way (some of them are normally pulled pretty tight, doesn't give much room to play with lol) and when I came back out there was a small hole up high coming from my attic, and Ed was taping the cat3 onto the cat6 so Mike could fish it back up into the attic.  Fishing done, Mike sends the cat6 back out and Ed plugs it into the ONT.  Mike continues to wire the power box with the cat3 while Ed wires the other end to the ONT.  After all that, Ed gets up on the ladder to tack the wires to my house so it looks all nice and neat while Mike goes a house over to the access panel to make the final fiber connection.  Ed takes some silicon with him to plug any holes that wires are coming out of, and a phone call or 2 later, my ONT is lit like a christmas tree (well not really lol, but the connection light is on which means I've got a fiber optic connection!).  Back inside we plug in the router, hook it up to the wall and my computer, configure it for temporary internet access, and the Mike tells me the address to go configure my new verizon account.  When that's all said and done the absolute first thing I do is come straight to testmy.net and do the speed tests...15511 down and 1893 up!  Mike was intrigued by the site and asked me a little bit about it, he said he was going to check it out.  I talked with them a few more minutes, hinting about how a couple other people in the area had somehow gotten 3.5 and 5.5 up *cough*SOAHF*cough*billli*cough* and they didn't  know why that was happening.  Dang, I want my upload to fly like theirs lol.  Ah well, can't complain, I've got FIOS!  So they leave, I'm happy as can be, and I go to play some counter strike.  Refresh my server list, pages of 4 ping, 5 ping, 6 ping.  I'm laughing with hysterics at this point because I just can't believe it!  I join one of the 4 ping servers and play for a couple of hours, the lowest I saw my ping at was i think 6 and the highest maybe at 15.  Everyone else was at least 25-35 at their best, I was 10 better than them at my worst  :haha:  So around 10:30 this morning I get a phone call from Mike, "What was that website again?"  :haha: :haha: :haha:  Got another verizon tech onto the site!  Hope this helps anyone thinking of getting FIOS, I highly recommend it and hopefully by reading what went on with my install you might be able to prepare for yours.  "FIOS AWAY!"

After dealing with scheduling screw ups they finally arrived 2pm on 4/15/05. After talking with the guy for 5-10 mins since he notcied my Verizon van parked out front. He came inside and scoped out what I already had done. I was planning on running Cat5 all through the house. So I already had a patch panel and wires pulled to a designated closet. He said that the first run was free so I had him pull cable from the ONT to the closet. After that I helped him pull the cable down and he finished up outside with the ONT and battery backup. I was helping him out the whole time. He was very appreciative.

All in all the install went great. The voice part was screwed up they said they cancelled my order so I didn;t have voice service when he left around 5pm. He called me back that evening around 7pm and said he would be out the next morning to finish hooking everything up.

But now everything is working great, not using the D-link they gave me since it was limited to what it could filter and nat with.

I love FIOS though, wouldn't  and couldn't live without it.

Sorry to hear about that SOAHF....I'm still rocking along

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 3443 Kbps about 3.4 Mbps (tested with 12159 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 420 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (main)

Test Time:: Sun May 1 17:23:08 CDT 2005

Bottom Line:: 61X faster than 56K 1MB upload in 2.44 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 684.28 % faster than the average for host (verizon.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-9HVIZWRQ5

Actually SOAHF I didn't forget  :D  I just forgot to mention it in the post.  I asked about that and he said yes they are going to offer it soon, and it will be like comcast on demand.  How freakin sweet is that going to be!!!