intermitted download and upload speeds. Testmy Download test doesn't work very often at all.

brianellermets

I've been having issues with my dish network internet. (surprise hehe)

Here is what happens:

First off I have my PC plugged directly into my modem, bypassing my router. Everytime I power off and on my modem, the download and upload speeds change. Right now, after cycle powering the modem about 5 times, I have (google speed test - 8.7 MBPS down / .09 MBPS up)  (speak easy 10.81 mbps up /.19mbps up). I am paying for 5-15 down and around 1 up. My provider requires some test results from testmy.net, but when i try the download test here it does not work most days, so they suspect the problem is with my PC.

I was wondering if anyone has had similair problems with the download test not loading. It goes to the screen and starts to download the file, but its goes straight to 100%, then tries to load the results page and just sits there for ever(5+ min)  trying to load. The upload page will usually not work due to my upload speeds being so slow. The other day affter cycle power my modem a few times good told me i was at 15 down and 1.5 up. I then was able to run all tests from testmy.net with no problems. The speeds then from testmy showed as 8-9 mbps down and 1.5 up.

Today ive cycle powered it many times with no fast speeds. the results above are the best i've got, but i'm confused why the testmy download test won't work.

I suspect my modem is going bad. It's a HT1000.

https://testmy.net/compID/61855578781

• 3 weeks later...

If your test isn't loading, I would suspect your are losing packets or or altogether connection drop?

I assume it would be your modem. If your modem is a rental, usually your ISP can swap it without cost. Hopefully you didn't buy your modem.

Power cycling is a good troubleshooting step to reset any hiccups or what not.

Power cycling multiple times just to get a connection is almost always the modem or your outside connection line providing you a weak signal.

@brianellermets, First thing considering Dish is a satellite network, we have to remember the data must travel into the atmosphere from your location, then back down to the repeater into a hardwired network. Where the stream can become corrupt and degradation can occur very easily for a multitude of reasons.

It is of course possible there is hardware failure going on, however eliminate as many 'other' possibilities as you can first.

In this case i would get a live linux disk or USB block device setup, and boot the machine from this.

What this can accomplish is to eliminate any possible issues with the machine such as hidden malware and or browser plugins, that sometimes effect a stable data stream.

I would also recommend against recursively restarting the modem.

Please post your results after getting a live CD or USB for testing purposes.

On 2/10/2017 at 4:00 PM, brianellermets said:

Sorry for the late reply. My internet speed is fixed, but I still can't run a linear download speed test. Its not that important to me to continue troubleshooting anymore, but I will tell you how my internet was fixed.

I waited until one of those times when I had almost no upload speed and when the download speed was around 1mbps, then called DISH again. This time they said they notices a problem on their end and would send out a tech. (after I agreed to pay $10 a month service plan bs)

Anyway the tech comes over and checks the satellite signal(which I already knew was ok because I can get into the modem and check that) and a few other things from his phone. Then he said the first thing he is going to do is install a new modem. He would not admit this one was bad, but just said DISH is having them replace all the HT1000 modems with HT1100 modems on EVERY service call they go on. After he did this, it worked great. I have been getting 10-15 mbps download speed and 1-2 mbps upload speed for the last 2 weeks.

So apparently DISH is waiting until they can prove you have a problem, then sending a tech out to replace your modem. Took me several calls and a few weeks of bad internet to finally get it fixed. Anyway I'm happy now life is good, I can upload videos to my Youtube channel now. (EFactor Outdoors)

Thank you everyone for your help.