The speed reading inside th modem

TheBishop

There are speed reading when you look inside the modem that I'm trying to understand.

Last week the reading were 5.888/576

tonight they are 4.928/576

Doing a modem status test is different than a speedtest online.

Where do the modem ststus test come from?

Is that the speed leaving the internet provider?

It's a Quest PK5000 from Centurylink. The best I can get is about 5.0 internet speed. The area is approved for up to 10 DSL speed they say, but I'm programmed by Centurylink to 5.888. I'm so-called set at a 6.0.

My problem is the speed is not constant and drops down to .9 sometimes.

Right now I'm getting a 4.8 speed which I can live with since we live in the country where we want to live. I'm not looking to run at 20-30Kbs, just enough and constant enough for the my wife and myself to use two separate PC's at the same time.

My question is sometimes when the speed drops I check the connections results inside the Quest modem at random times just to keep up with Centurylink's actions. Usually the connection results inside the modem is 5.888 which Centurylink says I'm programmed at, and I get a speedtest.net results at between 4.8-5.1kbs and that's OK with me.

When I notice the internet seems slow I go to speedtest.net and they say I''m downloading at a rate of only 2.49.

Then I go inside the modem to get the connection results and it's says I'm connecting at 3.232kbs.

My main question is, Is the connection results reading inside the modem, the internet speed Centurylink is sending at that moment?  I'm not asking for my download speed, I'm asking about the connection results inside the modem.

Thanks

Well, if your ISP plan is for 6 Mbps download, and even the modem connection speed is telling you it's only 1/2 that, I thinks it's worth some phone calls to your provider. Be patient and polite, but be persistent. It may take multiple calls from you before they get it resolved.

• 1 month later...

The speed you see in the modem will allways be higher than what you see on the speed tests you do yourself.  Thats your line speed or sync speed (Its called many things)  and its the speed your getting from your isp. The speed you see from speed tests is your throughput (The speed you can download at, stream etc) . The reason your throughput is lower is to allow for overheads ( The bits of information that tells the stuff you download where to go aswell as other important things).

After doing a bit of digging your modem can only get a maximum of 7mbps for ADSL or 20mbps for ADSL2. If your on the former your speeds of 5.888(Modem) and 4.8-5.1 (Speed tests) Are abourt right. But given you said your area speed is 10 then i reckon your on ADSL2 so something might be up. 

With adsl you need to keep in mind that the time of day will be a factor that will impact your speeds, so weekends and evenings might be slower for you. If you do speed tests when your wife is also onle they will be slow.  This might be why you have a big difference between your sync speed and your speed tests on occasion. 

You should also check your modem/router logs if you know how and see if you are having lots of disconnections

if in doubt give your isp a ring and ask some questions. What is my package, what is my estimated speed, what is the speed im getting, what ip profile am i on, what dlm band am i on( stable,standard,speed.etc) ask for a line check if your getting lower than your estimated speed ask why n what can they do etc