BEWARE! Comcast retaliation.

Data_Addict

Due to my efforts to gather data for proof of my claims against throttling my and other consumers speeds, now Comcast decided to block my VPN connections.  I use it for nothing illegal, I use it for protecting other highly-sensitive data and sites that I am a member of, so now my very safety may be threatened.  I need help from the community to get action before something bad happens, as I live in a very volatile area, filled with political enemies.  Please help and forward this link to anyone you know expressing similar concerns:

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/Company#crnt

Comcast_Confirmation-Device_SettingsVPN.pdf

Avast_SecureLine_Error.jpg

New Bitmap Image.jpg

not with VPN but I do have times where my connection speed Id say goes in the toilet but actually it goes much worse.

Plus the fact they brag about how the Blast Pro is now 250 Mbps Down but when using wireless I am lucky to get 100 Mbps

and I have a 300/300 Mbps wireless connection using 5 Ghz

I will keep more tabs on my speed and see if they are doing anything funny.

I do run a Pro Weather station that uploads its data to 3 sites every 5 minutes and one is set to upload every 5 seconds 

Sorry I am not more help.

Here is an updated chat response to my inquiries.  I hope I am not crossing any boundaries, as I am still new to forum etiquette.  Wish me luck, as it really pi***s me off when they send someone even less qualified than me to troubleshoot my network, and then try to make me out to be the a**h***e, just because the chat rep insisted on sending one out.  I am going to try to get an audio of the tech rep and supervisor when they come out.  The only problem is, this is Virginia, and I have to inform them that they are being recorded, and then hope there isn't some loophole letting them out of honoring the appointment.  Please message or email me if anyone else has been having similar issues, as I will need to gather other data from other sources besides myself in order to include "unbiased" data in my report. Oh... and just for your enjoyment I made this screenshot along with a text file of the chat:

4YourEntertainment.thumb.jpg.c50a9d53680b34613c44e03ddd692429.jpg

Comcast_Chat_6-22-2017.txt

• 2 weeks later...

Wow they are working the Old BS ( I say old as out here in Oregon) Lately they have had decent techs show up.

But the old trick was to blame anything and everything but their connections or hardware for the problems.

IE awhile back I had lost the upload section of my router ( from I think 10 Mbps at the Time to like 300Kbps) which killed any 

download due to lack of response I Gathered.

I got so upset with the tech I asked if my cats color would be the next possibility for my issues.

Mostly now unless something (is line issues) I get the hardware and install myself .

Another BS trick they pull and you must watch this one is if you have the (cable protection) or line coverage plan ( used to run like $5 a month I think)

they will without informing you all of a sudden drop it off your plan usually after a year or so then if you find a problem with say splitters , connections or so 

they will charge you the tech fee and any fees to replace any lines etc.

this plan is for anything from the Mainline connection at house inside which for me is 4 separate lines 1 dedicated to the (Gateway)

Dang I am so glad this post came up just realized my 2 year contract I had ends this month on like the 12th or so so I need to get in ASAP and get a new package/Tier setup before they send me a bill for like $300 or more for the month.

Thanks you just save me a ton of issues.

After reading that chat to me it sure seems you have a modem or gateway issue for sure.

I just went and checked on my settings and my remote management settings are default off or disabled.

Does VPN use specific ports that they ( the VPN) states as being blocked?

I believe Speedguide.net and possibly Testmy.net may to have a port checker where it will show you what is blocked and what is open etc.

Do you have that new Xfinity Xfi feature where you live?

I noticed when they enacted it here it changed what I could do on the 10.0.0.1 portal and now makes me log in to the xfinity account and 

give names to connections etc

Which to me is a real pain in the ......

Sadly the Only alternative locally (In Portland Oregon) area is Century Link (Which last time I tried them (As Qwest) they sold me a speed tier which they could not provide 

so had the audacity to drop me to a lower speed but charged me for the higher one so I dumped them and swore never to use them again no matter what.

Other is Frontier which Surprise Surprise I am On the West Side of Interstate 205 (which I guess Xfinity has power to deny them ability to provide service on this side) 

by approx 15 blocks so I was informed no service in my area.

I just realized Something else that may be pertinent to this thread.

I used to use a program called CCfile it allowed me to set up a custom URL name which I would give to my friend I was working on music with ( I do Vocals and Drum tracks and He does Guitar , Bass and backup vocals) Id setup a User name and password for him and he could then go online to url open a folder on my computer and download my files and upload what he had made etc.

Trying to email Large .wav files is impossible but using that program was a piece of cake.

then all of a sudden it stopped working.

No longer could anyone access my folders I setup, Somewhere Xfinity had blocked the ports I needed open to use this program and I did not know enough at the time to trouble shoot it and pinpoint exactly what was the issue.

Though I was told that they (Xfinity) Did not block any Ports they claimed I had it set up wrong or it was not compatible with my OS etc.

Really sucks as it threw a huge wrench in my music project and I had spent a good deal of $$ on Top end Drum Software and recording software and hardware .

Now this makes me want to set everything up again like I had it and figure out exactly what they are blocking which they have no reason or I believe right to be blocking

On 7/12/2017 at 6:28 PM, spudler_t said:

Sadly the Only alternative locally (In Portland Oregon) area is Century Link (Which last time I tried them (As Qwest) they sold me a speed tier which they could not provide 

so had the audacity to drop me to a lower speed but charged me for the higher one so I dumped them and swore never to use them again no matter what.

Other is Frontier which Surprise Surprise I am On the West Side of Interstate 205 (which I guess Xfinity has power to deny them ability to provide service on this side) 

by approx 15 blocks so I was informed no service in my area.

I just realized Something else that may be pertinent to this thread.

I used to use a program called CCfile it allowed me to set up a custom URL name which I would give to my friend I was working on music with ( I do Vocals and Drum tracks and He does Guitar , Bass and backup vocals) Id setup a User name and password for him and he could then go online to url open a folder on my computer and download my files and upload what he had made etc.

Trying to email Large .wav files is impossible but using that program was a piece of cake.

then all of a sudden it stopped working.

No longer could anyone access my folders I setup, Somewhere Xfinity had blocked the ports I needed open to use this program and I did not know enough at the time to trouble shoot it and pinpoint exactly what was the issue.

Though I was told that they (Xfinity) Did not block any Ports they claimed I had it set up wrong or it was not compatible with my OS etc.

Really sucks as it threw a huge wrench in my music project and I had spent a good deal of $$ on Top end Drum Software and recording software and hardware .

Now this makes me want to set everything up again like I had it and figure out exactly what they are blocking which they have no reason or I believe right to be blocking

Thanks man for the effort. It really was helpful.

On 7/12/2017 at 6:30 AM, spudler_t said:

@Data_Addict so any update on your VPN or ability to play Games etc?

Yes, and I apologize for the delay in response.  After the tech came out this time, my router was replaced, which seemed to fix the problem for about 48 hours... strangely.. it returned.  SMH.  However, I have posted how I have been dealing with Comcast since in the forum under "General Discussion".  Please feel free to view and download the text file, and use it as a reference when dealing with customer service.  For the last two months, I have only had to pay for what speed I am actually getting, with no change to my package plan.  As far as the VPN and games, yes. they are working now, however due to the shoddy service, my current speeds are not allowing my games to play without lag most days.  Ah well... at least I am no longer having to pay for that crap.

Edited by Data_Addict
Afterthoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

Spudler,

I also now live in Oregon; not far from your stated location actually.

Could you describe what cable internet modem you are using? I wonder if the unmentionable ISP a.k.a. Comcast/Xfinity (or the big bad wolf) is playing a shell game with us with internet speeds and modems.

When I lived in Montana, I rented one of their modems and had no speed problems. When I moved to Oregon 4 yeas ago, I bought and installed my own modem to eliminate their forever rental fee. Worked fine for a while. Then I was told that because they were upgrading speeds to 50mbps my modem was redundant and I had to get a new one or "rent one of ours." So, I bought a new modem, mostly out of spite. Then I was told that with my new Roku Tv (high-speed streamer), I had to upgrade my modem again. I just installed the third purchased modem, which I made sure is (or was) listed on their site as "approved and supported." I am still receiving only about 40% of the promised "peak" speed of 100mbps, which I had to agree to pay more for of course.

Long story short, I wonder if I surrendered and paid them for a monthly rented modem, my speed problems would magically evaporate. I am mostly aggravated by the sudden speed crashes while watching Roku TV, which kicks the Roku into buffering. I know its the broadband speed crashing because I experimented by doing several speed tests on my computer while the Roku was buffering and they were low-in-the-basement speeds.

Also, I read somewhere in the Xfinity service boiler-plate contract information that at least in Oregon, they reserve the right to downgrade service selectively to specific customers when there is too much demand on the broadband. Which means they can manipulate who gets 100mbps and who does not. Wonder if they would bump me onto the good list if I just pay them more..?

• CA3LE locked this topic