Gen 5 speed 50% speed drop after 5 days

Nooner

I complained to Hughes net last week about super slow speeds after my data limit had been reached. I was only getting 600 Kbps. From what I was told by sales and read in their advertisements, I should have seen speeds in the 1Mbps to 3Mbps. Long story short, I was told that it was only the Gen 5 that guaranteed those speeds after my data limit was reached. I now have this in writing from a chat transcript, in that transcript I was assured that I will get 3Mbps. In the end I was going to cancel my service, but I opted to let them install the Gen 5 system since it was free and it upped my data limit to 20Gb and only increased my bill by $5.00. ( just as a reference, after I complained, my speed on my Gen 4 went up to 1.5Mbps even though my data limit was reached !)

Here's my new issue. The Gen 5 system was installed. It was just a dish re-point and a new modem with WIFI. My initial speeds were fantastic. I was getting 40Mbps + download speeds. I was impressed. I did multiple speed test and it was pretty stable at those speeds. At around 11pm last night (9/8), my download speeds dropped to 12Mbps or less, usually less. I called Tech support today and they said everything looked good signal and connectivity wise, but they were seeing an issue as well with download speeds. They did a system reinstall and re-register, and it started getting 25Mbps on their end ( so to them... that's good). They could not explain why my speed dropped by 50% plus. My Ping / Latency is crazy slow at no less than 614 Ms and once at 1074ms.

Has anyone else seen this issue yet ? I am wondering if they are trying to pull a "teaser" rate scheme. Give you blazing fast speeds so you are happy with the install, then throttle you down. I was told to give it 24hours and keep testing my speed. I am running auto tests every hour for 15 cycles so I have documentation on the issue.

On the positive side, while the Tech Support guy in India was working his mojo, I was able to see the Ht2000W Hughes Net control center page and the Hughes Net system control center page. I was able to get into my router and change my SSID and passwords. I can also re-install re-register my system. These are the same pages they are using. They are now on my Bookmark Toolbar !

I am not sure how many people actually use the Hughes Net Section of this forum, but I thought I would add that I fixed my issue. Hughes Net is playing games. I figured out how to change my beam during a re-installation process. I noticed that the beam I was on had and (R) after it, so I changed to one that did not. I followed the install process my dish pointing was laready done and I could see the signal was still strong on that beam. Let it do its thing for a few minutes.... ran the re-registration process and...... what do you know.... I am back to 40Mbps plus, acutely hit 44Mbps.

Sometime you just have to out F@#k the other F#@kers.

Nooner,

I have been experiencing the same problems with my Gen5. For the first month I was getting blazing speeds with no slow downs day or night. After the first month I started experiencing problems. I had serious slow downs in the evenings and problems accessing the internet at all. I've ran all sorts of tests on my end with mixed results. I followed a thread on the Hughesnet forum and picked up a little info but not much help. I am really interested in how to get into the Ht2000W Hughes Net control center page. I am also interested in how your system is running now. I know the problems with my system should be easy to solve. 

On 9/10/2017 at 2:23 AM, Nooner said:

I am not sure how many people actually use the Hughes Net Section of this forum, but I thought I would add that I fixed my issue. Hughes Net is playing games. I figured out how to change my beam during a re-installation process. I noticed that the beam I was on had and (R) after it, so I changed to one that did not. I followed the install process my dish pointing was laready done and I could see the signal was still strong on that beam. Let it do its thing for a few minutes.... ran the re-registration process and...... what do you know.... I am back to 40Mbps plus, acutely hit 44Mbps.

Sometime you just have to out F@#k the other F#@kers.

Yeah, see, that makes no sense, as that's polarity, it will NOT work that way, have tested it my self plenty of times, as has others.

BTW, the SCC, and Wifi Settings page are local to you, they are not the same pages remote agents use.  Depending on the agent tier, they get different options entirely on the modems.

@DKElsey Go to http://192.168.0.1 OR http://systemcontrolcenter.com in your browser, it's no big secret and commonly mentioned on the Hughesnet community.

Oh yeah. They're ripping us off:-).After our 1st free month of unlimited data Gen5 produced download speeds of 2.96 mbs consistently after data runs out (about one week! we run thru 30 gig so fast we actually downgraded to 20 gig per month) $68 per month is enough for hi-speed internet. PERIOD.

Now the speed is so slow after data package runs out it's almost unusable.544 Kbs! or less. So Hughesnet LIED about providing usable internet after data runs out. I feel our two year contract is null and void. I'm tired of calling and complaining.

Mine dropped to around 43, on the signal strength. Call Hughes and they said they would send someone out to check the dish, this afternoon. Just after the call, about 30 minutes, the signal went up to 70. So they did something on their end. The low signal occurred, just after hurricane Maria hit Puerto Rico. I was wondering, is it possible Hughes diverted most of their signal to that area. Do they have the capability to do that in times of emergency. Anyway. I called them back and asked them not to send the tech, but he said the signal is to low , (even @70), it should be at least 100. So Im waiting for the guy to come and check. Those Mbs seem to go really fast, like you guys said. Will let you know if they can get 100% signal. I do have trees :)

yS4HdhD2U.png

x6Yuhyj94.png

Edited by SlowFreddy

• 8 months later...

I have had them for 106 days, they made the same claims. my speed is almost always 660 kps. They advertise streaming, but the second you do that, bang, 660 kps. I cannot pay my bill from my account because it does not recognize my address. They expect me to call every month and give out my debit card, ant only once did I get a tech in the US, always India. I cannot understand a word they say and am very uncomfortable giving out my debut card ti India. No offence intended but never going t do that. Yes I can set up a bill pay but the point is, they should fix that issue of not recognizing my address and I think all American companies should have on their web paper right up front that they only use Foreign customer service agents. That is grounds for cancellation in my book. Guess I should file a complaint to the BBB, and since the US sold out, the FCC is completely useless and nothing more than a tax drain and scam. I anyone still even being suckered by Hughesnet other than me?

052718 testmy net no vpn 1 26 m d 1100.JPG

• 1 month later...

We have the same problem, living rural sac county ca, we have limited satellite service provider to chose from.

Our story is the same issue as the person who started the  original post, except the speed in rural Sac CO has never been as advertised, slower than the older modem before the free upgrade, a lower bill for 20gb

The installer informed us, the reason the new modem Gen 5 speed was slow speed was the gorgeous Chinese pistachio tree limb was blocking the signal.

Long story short my tree was hacked down, to my dismay due to over-enthusiastic tree trimmer, the slow service remains today as it has been since installed less than 2 months ago.

• CA3LE locked this topic