PCI Network Question???

pitbull481

i got a 10/100 network card

since i got linksys - cable modem, and router i wanted to get a 10/100/1000 network card also (linksys), would it help out on speeds?

and what are the differance between these 2

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=35&scid=41&prid=605

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=539&scid=42

Hey pb...

The only place it would be of any advantage would be between your router and nic... and that would totally depend on whether your router would handle 1000... which I don't think it will.  You should already be communicating 100mb betwen your router and nic...  your bottleneck is always going to be the internet.

Now if you had a gigabit nic, gigabit router and gigabit connection to your ISP... now we would be talking  :cool: :cool:

To answer your question... I don't think it would really buy you anything.  ;)

Hey pb...

The only place it would be of any advantage would be between your router and nic... and that would totally depend on whether your router would handle 1000... which I don't think it will.  You should already be communicating 100mb betwen your router and nic...  your bottleneck is always going to be the internet.

Now if you had a gigabit nic, gigabit router and gigabit connection to your ISP... now we would be talking  :cool: :cool:

this kind of router (also a linksys)?

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=35&scid=42&prid=528

Hey pb...

what's a NIC?

I looked at this on the Linksys site... I see bwt1953 beat me to it... this is not a router... but a workgroup switch.  If you are looking for a true gigabit router you should be willing to pay around $130+.

Now you've got me looking at other options.  :shock:

Like I said... now you have me looking at gigabit options?!?!

I can get a real nice DLink wireless setup and NIC for around $150... but it is hard to justify considering the only wired stuff to my router right now is the main PC.  The other two I have in the house are wireless... plus my office laptop is wireless when I use it at home.

The more I looked into this I really wish I could hook up my family PC in the living room over Cat. 6... instead of wireless.  I do a lot of file sharing between that PC and mine... and gigabit speeds would be totally awesome.  However, there isn't anyway to run wire to that part of the house.  :(

So... for now I will stay with what I have.  But pitbull... thanks for the ideal.  Now, I have something else to plan for down the road.

yeah it is... really sharp looking. 

Keep looking... your headed in the right direction.  I got up in my attic this evening to check.... one more time... to see if I could run a cable to the family room where my second PC is located... no luck.  :(

Sometimes persistence pays off...  or madness... I am not sure which...  :shock:

I managed to run cable this weekend from the family room and my daughters room... went out and purchased a DGL-4300 Gigabit router and 10/100/1000 NIC for my PC...  now I have a gigabit home LAN...  Why???  Good question...  I guess to say I have one.  :D :D

I do transfer files, pictures and music between the two PC's... and all I can say now is WOW...  So pitbull481... thanks for the ideal on the gigabit.  Of course... it cost me about $245... but that's OK....  :D

Sometimes persistence pays off...  or madness... I am not sure which...  :shock:

I managed to run cable this weekend from the family room and my daughters room... went out and purchased a DGL-4300 Gigabit router and 10/100/1000 NIC for my PC...  now I have a gigabit home LAN...  Why???  Good question...  I guess to say I have one.  :D :D

I do transfer files, pictures and music between the two PC's... and all I can say now is WOW...  So pitbull481... thanks for the ideal on the gigabit.  Of course... it cost me about $245... but that's OK....  :D

1. i need filles to tranfers quick. i got this computer (main. the one im in now and always use) with all family pics, music (2500+ songs) and other stuff. 

2. second computer (in wife exersice and computer room). she likes to listen to songs that i have (main computer) while she is doing her exrcise or using computer

3. in the living room (modded xbox media center) i like to rest in the living listening to music and watch family pics (reads from main computer) or turn on volume up high for famly gathering

when i turn on  xbox or wife's computer and want to lisntening to music or see family pics it does takes about 10-20 seconds to get them from main computer

kinda sucks :x

pb...

I know you love Linksys... but what I did might be an alternative for you.  The DLink DGL-4300 is a great router.  It actually says its a gaming router, however, its really just an advanced consumer router.  You get that and any 10/100/1000 NIC ( Network Interface Card ) for your PC(s) and you should be good to go.  The DGL-4300 is wireless so you have that option if you need it... if not, I believe DLink makes a wired Gigabit router.

I can stream music from the living room pc like I was player from this one... transferring pictures or pulling up pictures from the living room pc on this one is just like it is here.  Plus...  I get identical speed test from either PC.  Just a thought for you.

Let me know.

Take care,

Ronnie

KC...

Primarily wired...  I did have my main PC wired and the other wireless.  When I purchased the new router over the weekend I also ran new drops in the family room and my daughters bedroom.  The only wireless I am running right now is my work PC.  Everything else is running wired gigabit.

Cheers,

Ronnie