Cut to the chase on ISP??

LikeMikeScott

So, as an admitted newcomer to this site, I'm wondering (without trying to be rude), is it possible to "cut to the chase" and use some yet-to-be-discovered (by me) utility/command on the site that would allow me to easily determine which ISP in my "trading area" has the best ratings....AND value proposition (i.e. best consistent speeds, longest time between 'failures', highest Mbps per $).

Not trying to take all the fun out of the "diagnostics aspects" of the game........but, why beat around the bush?

Sometimes my speed is so bad that I feel as though I'm stupid to even HOPE that cable internet makes any sense at all (over DSL). Or is it possible that cable value/reliability is so dependent on specific location that it's impossibly to generalize?

As I mentioned in my "self introduction", I feel as though I'm the innocent bystander of a pi**ing contest between my re-seller and HIS underlying provider.

Thoughts? Comments?

Since I'm not getting any response here, I guess I'd better state my question a little more succinctly:

Is CABLE-based internet ALWAYS up and down like a yo-yo?

And is DSL ALWAYS the "steady Eddy" of the internet supply-chain?

Most of the Cable re-sellers whose performance I check show speed graphs that look like a roller-coaster. But these are in my "home market"...so I know how to pick them out of the list on https://testmy.net/memberstats. I'm not really familiar with the rest of the country/world, so I can't tell who's a cable company vs who's DSL, so that I could compare ALL cable vs ALL DSL.

So, I guess what I'm asking is: Is DSL always better than cable (given comparable "claimed" speeds) in terms of consistency?

I would imagine everything depends on the provider and region as you are already aware.

As far as a page to search <my town or city> & <results>  have you used https://testmy.net/list ?

Search for the town and go from there. Sure it takes a bit of 'footwork' to get the data extracted the way we want to see it. Though if I'm gathering mental data correctly, we should be seeing new features soon here at testmy.net.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2017 at 3:03 PM, mudmanc4 said:

I would imagine everything depends on the provider and region as you are already aware.

As far as a page to search <my town or city> & <results>  have you used https://testmy.net/list ?

Search for the town and go from there. Sure it takes a bit of 'footwork' to get the data extracted the way we want to see it. Though if I'm gathering mental data correctly, we should be seeing new features soon here at testmy.net.

Thanks for the suggestion......but if I go to this page and type in "St. Catharines".....the name of my city, I get only ONE return: St. Catharines.

Aside from the fact that I don't know who/what "St. Catharines" is supposed to represent, there are pathetic speed numbers there.........ALMOST as bad as mine!! :-)