Super slow download test, but only on wifi from one laptop

chubbard

Looking for some ideas for what may be causing this because I've done everything I can think of...  :-)

For some unknown reason, my download test results on one laptop has dropped to speeds from the early '90s (e.g., ~1.5 Mbps and lower). But only on wifi, and only on this one laptop.  My other laptop, which is identical, gets speeds in the 40+ Mbps on wifi.  Both are connected via a switch/router/cable modem to a Comcast internet connection that runs around 100+ Mbps when wired.

FWIW, when I run the download test on Speedtest.net (ugh) I get results in the 40+ range, which is consistent with what I get on the other laptop -- and consistent with the "feel" of the laptop in loading websites.  I'm definitely not sitting there waiting for pages to load.  They pop!  So it SEEMS that the results reported by testmy.net are incorrect.

The testmy.net download test seems to bog down about 1/3rd of the way through the test, and then crawls all the way to the end.  The user experience of the test seems to match the pathetic (claimed) results.  BUT... anything OTHER than the test itself seems to work great.

I've always found testmy.net to be a great tool for measuring connection speed, and it's always worked great on every device I've used it on, so I'm at a loss to understand why it doesn't like this one laptop.  (Lenovo T440p, Win7/64, 16GB RAM, SSD, latest version of Chrome.)

Any ideas?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...