Sanity check ,please !!

nodsa

image.png.3494f698eb35d5084bb7030389961aa4.png

Hi everybody,
   for  the sake of my sanity, could you comment on my interpretation of the above.

I take it to mean, that my normal download speed should be somewhere in the range of 72 to 78, and that anything below that, it is questionable. I fully realise that Internet speeds are highly variable, according to numerous conditions (number of users, file sizes, time of day, etc etc).

Secondly, I see the minimum guaranteed speed as an absolute figure, which will be maintained by my ISP, no matter what, unless there is a complete outage.

Is this a reasonable view, or should I be chained and confined to a padded cell,

any comments. Much appreciated,

Thanks in advance,
nodsa

https://testmy.net/quickstats/nodsa

Edited by mudmanc4
Added Graph

@nodsa , Is the image a screenshot from talktalk or elsewhere.

2 hours ago, nodsa said:

I see the minimum guaranteed speed as an absolute figure, which will be maintained by my ISP,

Exactly, to add, To the ISP , after in which is completely out of ISP hands. In other words ISP's as a general rule internationally, take their (in my opinion) collaborative responsibility to maintain  functional and fluent means to access to grant data via end user (which consists of all of us) , and toss it to the wind.

Why call yourself an Internet Service Provider , if in fact your unable to support such claims in a reasonable manner, not that of which you define or clause in a customer agreement to pay.

Lets look at it this way. The system has been built backwards. From the very start, we should have built major infrastructure interconnecting major cities, then spider outward.

Hind site is great I know, but were still doing the same thing. Adding nodes to the 'internet' without the support of connectivity.

@mudmanc4 ,this is a screenshot from my talktalk account,

take no notice of the stats (where did they come from....auto produced?) which aren't representative(I was experimenting with settings at that point ....BTW  how do I clean out this misleading set of results?

So am i being reasonable questioning talktalk with pretty consistent figures in the mid 60''s? ....max line speed is supposedly 80/20 ... I'm getting 65ish and 13 according to testmy.net   &   67-70 and 18.9 according to Taltalk's speed checker.

If you click "Results" in the header of the page, the link will take you to https://testmy.net/quickstats/nodsa There you can delete your own records.

The stats graph in your first post, I placed there for your and mine reference, it is all tests taken from your ID, logged in or not. Which I believe is drawn from the unique net device MAC

The test appliance, or script talktalk uses will live on their own network, so testing will define your basic connectivity and throughput to the ISP

Can I ask what 'speeds' or package you are paying for?

If you are consistently or on average achieving 65/13 , I would say that is decent, not optimal. This would coincide with what the ISP is selling you

Hi mudmanc4, thanks for responding so quickly.
The package is faster fibre, with an added speed boost, this is supposed to give up to 80 MBPS, download, and up to 20 MBPS, upload.
vdsl,talktalk provided (2-3yrs ago)Huwawei 635 router....
The screenshot above, appears in my talk talk account as I navigate towards their speed checker.
I never expected anything over 75, to be honest, but to barely achieved 70 is somewhat hard to swallow.
Regards,
nodsa

In that case, I would surmise you as in the VDSL modem) is roughly  1km away from the cabinet, which would account for the ~17% loss

So all in all, your doing good. If in fact the distance is correct, reverse calculation and assumption on average results compared to standard deviation.

What about wiring inside your residence, age / quality, splitters, filters ect. All of which will account for signal strength.

As for the modem ( ~2-3 years old) the appliance has likely has several updates since placement, this happens transparently via ISP.  We'd have to know the firmware, version compared to new subscribers device / firmware revision and even reasoning, to know if that device plays any part in deviation.

480m from exchange, 30m from cabinet, testing on cat5e  Gb ethernet, direct to router from a fresh win7 install :- same equipment  that  achieved 32 to  35 regularly on previous upto 36 package , and achieved regular 70-74  on prior upto 76mbps package, all with same isp...Talktalk

Have also tested with a tplinkTD-W9980 router,and had exactly same results.

HG635

Device ID:

00E0FC-B8Z8W14811005211

Hardware version:

G.1.01

Software version:

v1.06t

System up time:

0 days 6 hours 23 minutes 33 seconds

Broadband Information
DSL synchronization status:
Up
Connection status:
Showtime
Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Downstream interleave depth:
Line standard:
VDSL
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBm):
Downstream output power (dBm):
Channel type:
None
DSL up-time:

regards,

nodsa

1 hour ago, nodsa said:

@mudmanc4

am now running alternate tests with an older laptop runing ubuntu live cd..........id in results is garage, it appears that winblows is restricting upload speeds by around  5mbps ??

That would not shock me. But why is this happening.

Software firewall ? Antivirus? Anything secondary you might have running on the machine?

no, but now running firefox on windows,(also running on linux m/c), instead of opera, & both win7 and 'buntu have same upload speeds,but now D/L speeds have dropped on both machines..........WTF.... going to have a break and start again tommorow, will post any progress,

Many thanks, mudmanc4

regards,

nodsa

Hi again,

Finally managed to get FreeBSD installed (no GUI on completion, threw me off for quite a while!), And have run more tests, the identity being home.
               These confirm that my line is stable, and to me show that my ISP has no chance whatsoever of achieving what they have stated to be a "normal download speed range.", Especially as they have set the maximum download speed on the line at too low a level.

Would you agree that that's a fair assessment of my situation, as I'm beginning to wonder seriously about my sanity, or am I tilting at windmills?
Regards,
nodsa

• CA3LE locked this topic