TCP Optimizer (program) results in no improvement

Larry0915

Hi. I'm brand new here. After reading many of the articles on your web site, I decided to try the recommended program named "TCP Optimizer."  I read most of its FAQ's and other documentation prior to running the program. I'm am NOT experienced with most of the technical aspects, etc., but... I downloaded and ran the program with its "default" settings.

The "Test my Download Speed" (on your web site) result I got was absolutely identical to the pitiful download speed I had before using the program!

It was, and now is, a pitiful 0.864Mbps (download speed). NOTE: That number is less than 1.0.

I'm currently using AT&T's DSL. However, AT&T seems to be doing everything possible to deny me decent service, although they continue taking my payments for the service.

My 'Plan" with them is for "Up to 3.0Mbps."  I was getting between 2.4Mbps and 2.7Mbps but, AT&T keeps dropping my speed down lower and lower. Now, it seldom gets above 1.0Mbps. PITIFUL.

** I'm using MS Windows 7 Professional on a PC, fully up-to-date.

Finally, I'll ask my question:

"Why didn't the TCP Optimizer program improve anything at all?

Thanks,

Larry

Because the problem is not in the parameters controlled by the TCP program.

Your problem is almost certainly in your ADSL connection. It used to be good and your PC was using the same TCP settings.

Login to 192.168.1.254 ID admin PW admin, or search for the default IP address, ID & PW on the net,

and look at your downstream S/N numbers AND at the actual downstream speed which is negotiated between your modem and the DSLAM.

The MAX allowed is what you paid for (3MB/s) often written as kb/s within the DSL section of the modem's web interface.

Multiply by .85 to account for overhead, depending on the modem.

S/N changes, going down as the speed goes up for the same signal level with problems beginning to occur at ~ 6db.

What I wrote above is approximate. There are good articles about ADSL on the net if you wish more exact info.

Below is my connection, though it's in Spanish since I live in Mexico. I translated part of it. Line has been active 38 minutes. Windy days cause connection to drop.

I live 3.1km from the DSLAM so though I pay for up to 10mb/s (Telmex min speed) I can only get 3.5-4 reliably.

Velocidad de línea ascendente (kbit/s) 383 upstream speed (limited by contract, and programmed into DSLAM)
Velocidad de línea descendente (kbit/s) 3646 downstream speed (programmed into DSLAM by agreement with Telmex)
Máximo ancho de banda ascendente (kbit/s) 1139 MAX up speed line will support
Máximo ancho de banda descendente (kbit/s)  10200 MAX  down speed line will support
Estándar de línea ADSL2+   as speed increases line standard changes GMT, ADSL, ADSL2, ADSL2+
Tipo de canal
Interleaved 
Relación señal ruido (ascendente dB)   29 S/N up
Relación señal ruido (descendente dB)   12.9 S/N down   Should be >6 @ 3646 kbits/s
Atenuación de línea ascendente (dB) 27.9
Atenuación de línea descendente (dB) 44.9
Potencia de salida ascendente (dBmV) 12.2
Potencia de salida descendente (dBmV) 18.9
CRC ascendente 0
CRC descendente 8 Cyclic Redundancy Check of downstream connection
FEC ascendente 0
FEC descendente 31869 Forward Error Correction of downstream connection
Nombre de la Tarjeta Broadcom      Brand of card in the DSLAM
Retardo de Interleave(ascendente) 4  
Retardo de Interleave(descendente) 8  

Thank you, "DownSouth," for replying.

You answered my question when you stated:

"... the problem is not in the parameters controlled by the TCP program."

Thanks for that.

I should have mentioned that the last several times my same issue happened, expert AT&T DSL technicians came to my home location and found that the AT&T "Cable Department" had installed "Bridge Taps" onto my cable. Since I don't have a telephone, those are totally unnecessary and they are what causes the drastic reduction in my download speeds! Once they are removed (and, only the Cable Department can do that), my download speeds increase upwards toward 2.5Mbps to 2.7Mbps, again.  But, for some idiotic reason, AT&T keeps adding those Bridge Taps back again, just days or weeks after they were removed! They keep doing it!

Like I said before, I don't understand hardly any of the information you gave me. Very sorry! Anyway, I did check the Connection info on my modem/router.

Here's what it reports: (I'm wondering if this means anything important since my account is supposed to give me speeds up to 3.0Mbps?):

------- Thanks again for your reply.

Larry0915

Downstream Rate   1696 Kbps 
Upstream Rate

512 Kbps 

Going by that Downstream rate, your modem appears to be facing a lot of noise or attenuation on the line.

Check the downstream attenuation and noise margin (or S/N) figrues. 

If the S/N value is higher than 6dB, try rebooting the modem and see if the Downstream figure increases.  If the S/N figure remains quite high such as over 12dB, then the Internet service provider is likely restricting your maximum speed.  For example, on my DSL line, the maximum I can get is 5120Kbps as that is what the ISP deems is the maximum my line can support.

If the downstream attenuation figure is very high such as over 50dB (and you're not 2+ miles from the exchange), try another phone lead between your modem and the socket and check if the figure improves after the DSL syncs again.  If the figure does not improve, then there is likely some other fault with the line such as degradation, water ingress, corroded contacts (including at the exchange end), etc.  If you have a DSL filter/splitter, try removing it.

Going by the ATTN DR figure which seems to indicate attainable downrate, there is something seriously wrong with the line itself between your modem and the exchange.  This is not your ISP limiting the speed or a contention issue.

Based on those figures, it looks like you have severe noise on the line.  Usually water ingress or a DSL filter fault would push the line attenuation figure over 60dB.  An attenuation of 50dB should still be able to deliver around 4 to 5Mbps.

Do you have any type of signal amplifier running in your building such as a mobile signal booster or TV antenna amplifier?  If you do, switch them off and reboot your router to see if the speed improves. 

The next step would be to try a process of elimination unplugging electrical appliances in case you have a faulty appliance generating noise.  For example, an electric heater with an arcing contact can generate severe noise. 

I don't think it's a bridge tap being added back in.  Based on the info of what I could find about bridge taps, a bridge tap is used where the telecom provider runs phone lines down the full length of a street / circuit and each customer is connected somewhere along those cable runs.  With DSL, they cause havoc as the signal will reflect up/down the unused sections of cable beyond the bridge tap.  When a bridge tap is removed, the telecom provider physically disconnects the wire beyond the where the customer's line connects to the circuit.  There would be no reason for them to ever rejoin that unused section of cable.  The exception would be if you terminate your service altogether and the telecom provider would like to reuse that line to serve a new customer further down the street.

Hi Sean,

Here's what I tried this morning.

* I shut off all appliances except for my chest freezer, refrigerator, and a small lamp which sits next to my computer.

* Cleared my cache and ran the download test and the upload test a couple of times, each.

* Repeated tests again but, instead of using the server in San Francisco (it's closest to where I live in Oakland, CA). --I tried 2 other servers; Los Angeles, CA and Miami, FL.

* After all of that, I continue getting nearly the same speeds no matter which of those servers I test, with or without my appliances shut off.

As far as signal amplifiers near my computer, I need to mention that I live on my own boat in a marina. There are other boats in slips very near to mine. A couple of them (closest to my boat) have TV antennas mounted atop their boats. Those include 'signal boosters' for better reception (for them). Sean, I cannot ask my neighbors to turn off their TV's. heh heh.  Nevertheless, I used to get much better download speeds before, and, my neighbors had those antennas then. So, I don't think those are the issue.

AT&T DSL technicians who have come to my boat to check my lines in the past found that there isn't any problems (resistance caused by corrosion, moisture, etc.) on my lines from my boat to their (AT&T's) junction boxes outside of the marina. They found the problem happens somewhere else (on my/their AT&T Cable) away from my immediate wiring. The last time it was "Bridge Taps."  Once those were removed, my service improved greatly. It hasn't rained here for a month or so. It's dry.

I appreciate your time, and the time others have spent, helping me. I suppose the only thing I can do (again) is to wait for still one more technician to come out and check everything. I reported the issue to AT&T on Feb 2, but they said the soonest a technician could come out was Feb 15th (almost a 2-week wait)!  At the same time, they told me that if I'd switch to U-verse,  a technician would come out the very same day and install it. That's absurd! --This will be about the 10th or 15th time in a year or two!  They fix it, .... then, it stops working again. It has ALWAYS been faults caused by AT&T, itself. They verified that, themselves!

I'll end this topic by saying, "Thanks, again!"

--Larry0915