Old dog needs new tricks

John Bouchard

This old dog has been in computers since the days of key punch cards so I'm pretty knowledgeable in programing and hardware but the days of using your computer have change greatly and now I find myself needing to change with it so I need to learn a lot more on networking and internet multimedia live steaming. I understand file transfer in and out (download/upload) but that seems to be different then streaming cause if it's not a consistence throughput you loose the feed or signal or something that's where I seem to be falling behind. I may be wrong but it seams to me that the bandwidth needs to be 40 MB or higher and never drop below that, but how do you get a consistence. Anyone have information on this or am I looking at this all wrong?

• 3 weeks later...

It depends on the quality of the stream you're trying to accomplish and the service you're using.

Here's a video that may help with selecting bitrate on twitch.

Looking at your upload results

https://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&y=u&l=25&q=John Bouchard

Looking at twitch guidelines it looks like you're fairly capable but you aren't going to be streaming 4K or anything.  :-P

https://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/1253460

Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 7.27.30 AM.png

You're right in the minimum requirements.

You don't need 40 Mbps upload speed to stream, you're just able get a higher bitrate if you have more than what you're rockin' right now.

I'm not personaly trying to stream, I'm trying to recevie live streams sports, news,movies ect. I have three laptops a iphone and a ipad oh and a tv on the same network, I can veiw streams on the ipad cast it to my tv and surff the web at the same time but can't used any of my laptops, I can veiw streams on my laptops 75% of the time on only one computer at a time and nothing else. I've been trying to figture it out for 3 weeks and between bandwidth going from 20mbps to 65 mbps and the cup resorces being eating up by browsers I don't know what to try any more. I've even consitered a new upgraded laptop. I just know any more. John

This sounds as more along the lines of local QOS setting might be useful.

When you say :

9 hours ago, John Bouchard said:

can veiw streams on the ipad cast it to my tv and surff the web at the same time but can't used any of my laptops,

Does this mean you cannot use the laptop to stream or even brows the web while casting from the iPad to the TV, or you cannot cast from laptop to TV?

Why would you not stream from the TV instead of casting from the iPad? Leaving wireless bandwidth open.

What wireless device (router - built in modem router ect) is the network using?