Hey folks.

Altered

Obviously new here. :wave: I started having what I think is slow internet just 2 months into my new AT&T 1000 FIOS plan. :sad2: 

Not totally sure I ran the best test as I just clicked the easiest one to run and your test is giving I think quite low results considering its a "1000 Mbps" down and up plan with unlimited data that AT&T only say they will do something about if its below 600 Mbps. Also I noticed the test here says this is U Verse but its supposed to be FIOS. 

3eibXaW9N.dL5rQE3Bl.png

I'm really irked about the whole deal. I didn't listen to my instincts and stay away from the stupid contract. Now after one repair attempt with the tech coming out I am having bad thoughts about the next several months. It looks like I am going to have to do all the leg work if this is as I believe a slow reading for my package, or have enough smarts to get AT&T on the right track to a repair. Which is how I came to be here.

Id like to verify that my service is slow for what it is and if indeed it is slow see what I can do to fix the problem. 

In case this will help with anyone trying to assist here is some of the info AT&T all wanted to know.

Currently this is setup like this: 

Modem - AT&T supplied Arris BGW210-700 hardwired CAT5E (supplied by AT&T) direct from modem to laptop

Laptop - Acer Aspire 5750Z connected with Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet with Drivers from Microsoft 15.6.1.3

Current Wi-Fi devices and their state when running test:

1 tablet - disabled

2 smartphones - enabled but only in idle state (no downloading)

1 laptop - disabled

1 game box solely used for Netflix - disabled

1 ROKU box - disabled

And 1 hardwired laptop I am using. 

Many thanks for all the tools and information on this place. 

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Altered

Edited by mudmanc4
Added Graph

OK good, so testing to the Dallas server is the right one.

it sounds like you’re doing all the right things. Keep calling them for help. Be patient even though your frustration will get worse before it gets better. Eventually they’ll assign someone toot that can provide some real help.

1 hour ago, Pgoodwin1 said:

OK good, so testing to the Dallas server is the right one.

it sounds like you’re doing all the right things. Keep calling them for help. Be patient even though your frustration will get worse before it gets better. Eventually they’ll assign someone toot that can provide some real help.

I ran the Automatic Speed Test to get a broader picture of how its performing. https://testmy.net/quickstats/Altered

I also went to AT&Ts self help and I noticed it now says a requirement for me to get full speeds is to have a i5 speed processor or better, and 8 gigs or memory or more. This laptop does not have these criteria. And I never saw any of this on any literature or had any sales person or installer or tech person mention this. So since my old desktop that had these criteria is out of commission. I am considering putting together a new machine that does. I no longer game so I was just going to stay with a perfectly functional laptop. Currently the laptop has a Intel Pentium B940 / 2 GHz and 4 GB memory.

Is it really that crucial that I have these criteria to get the speeds I am paying for?

Is there anything else I can do to possibly help myself in this situation?

Thanks

It probably is could be that to get the really high speeds you need something more powerful, but I couldn't say for sure. I'm a Mac guy and not a PC guy, so I can't help you much there. There are plenty of very skilled PC guys on this site. i'll ask one to look at your post here.

1 minute ago, Pgoodwin1 said:

It probably is could be that to get the really high speeds you need something more powerful, but I couldn't say for sure. I'm a Mac guy and not a PC guy, so I can't help you much there. There are plenty of very skilled PC guys on this site. i'll ask one to look at your post here.

Thank you very much.

3 hours ago, mudmanc4 said:

@Altered ,

The Acer 5750z machine contains Serial-ATA-300, where max throughput is ~300MBs therefore the HDD could be one of the bottlenecks

@mudmanc4 

Interesting best I remember none of the items listed as requirements by AT&T had hdd max throughput as a specified amount necessary. I will double check this as well when I get home this evening.

Thanks for the idea. 

1 hour ago, Altered said:

@mudmanc4 

Interesting best I remember none of the items listed as requirements by AT&T had hdd max throughput as a specified amount necessary. I will double check this as well when I get home this evening.

Thanks for the idea. 

Well they likely would not mention it, considering for the most part, anyone seeking true GB throughput would previously posses late model hardware.

Please don't take that the wrong way, in any sense, however those speeds are nothing to joke about, it's the real deal, and required a rather healthy system from point to point to take advantage of, for the most part. 

I might try getting a live CD of a linux distrobution running, such as Solus

Grab Rufus to burn the ISO to  'USB stick' , the image can be downloaded at Solus download ( budgie will be suffice and you'll like it I think)

Test with that live distro running, to gather more data right?

If you need any at all assistance doing this, just post it! :thumbsup:

On 2/20/2018 at 4:00 PM, mudmanc4 said:

Well they likely would not mention it, considering for the most part, anyone seeking true GB throughput would previously posses late model hardware.

Please don't take that the wrong way, in any sense, however those speeds are nothing to joke about, it's the real deal, and required a rather healthy system from point to point to take advantage of, for the most part. 

I might try getting a live CD of a linux distrobution running, such as Solus

Grab Rufus to burn the ISO to  'USB stick' , the image can be downloaded at Solus download ( budgie will be suffice and you'll like it I think)

Test with that live distro running, to gather more data right?

If you need any at all assistance doing this, just post it! :thumbsup:

I have the USB stick made Ill try and run it later. 

Well my internet went completely out today. Fortunately I had already went and spoke with someone on the technical help at AT&T and they did their diagnosis and think my modem was failing. They had shipped me one but it’s not supposed to be here till tomorrow. 

I currently have the Arris BWG210 but they are sending me a Motorola NWG599. Not sure if this is a step up down or sideways but at least it’s not ignoring the problem. 

Apparently from the way the guy talked it was common for them the play musical chairs with modems if someone had a issue they swap it with another from possibly another job that may or may not had a issue. The guy was very adamant that he was sending me a brand new unit.  I didn’t think my unit was used but who knows. 

Anyway just wanted to update update on the situation.

@mudmanc4 I haven’t had a chance to try budgie. 

Update to the update. Looks like they fixed the actual problem as now my internet is back up and it’s flying pretty decent. Of all things the upload seems to be lagging behind some but for me if everything just stays at these speeds I’m not gonna complain. 

6 hours ago, Altered said:

Well my internet went completely out today. Fortunately I had already went and spoke with someone on the technical help at AT&T and they did their diagnosis and think my modem was failing. They had shipped me one but it’s not supposed to be here till tomorrow. 

I currently have the Arris BWG210 but they are sending me a Motorola NWG599. Not sure if this is a step up down or sideways but at least it’s not ignoring the problem. 

Apparently from the way the guy talked it was common for them the play musical chairs with modems if someone had a issue they swap it with another from possibly another job that may or may not had a issue. The guy was very adamant that he was sending me a brand new unit.  I didn’t think my unit was used but who knows. 

Anyway just wanted to update update on the situation.

@mudmanc4 I haven’t had a chance to try budgie. 

Awesome you did get things working as they should be, good for you!

When you get the chance, check out Solus, bad a$$ B)

• CA3LE locked this topic