Do you provide any data that shows speed test results by location/IP and ISP?

CA3LE

Do you provide any data that shows speed test results by location/IP and ISP?

-Chris

Hi Chris,

You can see results for Time Warner as they come in at https://testmy.net/host-history/time_warner_cable - Time Warners page is at https://testmy.net/hoststats/time_warner_cable

Currently ISP's are ranked within cities but you can't search for an ISP and see a ranking of the cities the ISP operates in.  This will be addressed in an upcoming version giving my users much deeper insight.  As well as much more useful and informational way of aggregating and complaining the data. 

Right now you're able to pull results by any location.  Within those results there's a ranking of the ISPs for the area queried.  For instance, for the US, Time Warner is ranking #7 right now.  https://testmy.net/country/us ... the city Austin, TX has you ranking #2 https://testmy.net/city/austin_tx

I hope this helps.  TestMy.net is designed, build and maintained by one person.  I'm under constant development.  I welcome your input and criticism.  If you have any ideas how I can better display my information please share so I can make TestMy.net work better for you.

- Happy Testing!
- Damon - TestMy.net

Damon, thanks for the follow up. I’ll review the links that you sent me shortly.

On a related note…what technology are you using to run the test (java, HTML5, flash, etc.)? And with that tech, what pros/cons do you see using that tech vs. the other options?

Best,

-Chris

Chris,

TestMy.net is HTML5 and javascript.  I can't speak for the technology behind flash or java tests out there.  TestMy.net has always worked on natively without the need for third party plugins.  Since I started developing in 1996 I've never considered using them, ever.  The main benefit is that it's optimal.  Requiring less to get the same job done is always better.  Another benefit is a test who's results don't need adjusting.  Ookla themselves admitted years ago to adjusting their results, adjusting for unknown variables.  If the result is adjusted, it can't be trusted.

The real beauty of TestMy.net isn't in the client-side code that you see.  Most of the action takes place on the server-side.  The backend doing the hard work while the front end serves the minimum to get the job done is what makes TMN what it is.

There are no cons.  If there were, I'd do it differently.

Let me know if I can help Time Warner.  If you like my test you'll be interested in the stuff on my drawing table.

- Happy Testing!
- Damon - TestMy.net

Damon, I know Ookla quite well and I knew there was a reason that I stopped using them to test my speeds at home…thanks for passing this along! I’m going to share some of this with a few other people here and let you know what we come up with. If you can give any hints about what’s on the drawing table too, I’m all ears.

Btw, on the Austin results that you showed me, what are the below symbols? Assuming the Apple is iOS device and Android is Android devices, but does that include mobile or is that just the small mobile phone image?

tx.png

apple.png

android.png

iphone.png

Lastly, what are the two speeds measuring (one bold in larger font size, one smaller)…for example:

speed.png

Thanks Damon, have a great weekend.

Best,

-Chris

Chris,

There are quite a few areas I'm developing.  One thing in particular is a way to implement TestMy.net within any website.  A simple cut and paste and all of TestMy.net can be housed within any website.  Using TestMy.net's server resources but appearing as if it's hosted on your domain.  I plan on offering it completely free, with no ads.  I see it as a way to promote my ad supported site and am more than willing to foot the bill on servers and bandwidth to organically draw more users.

The icons you mentioned, if you hover over them you'll see a tooltip.  The star stands for Dallas, TX... meaning that the user tested against the main server in Dallas, TX.  Apple logo is for iPads, Android logo is for all Android devices and the cellphone looking icon is for iPhone.  Various icons show you the test type, detected device, server tested against and user selectable identifier.  It helps you visually reference results faster.

The two numbers in your results offer two different ways of interpreting the results.  Some people want to know the connection speed, which is shown in Mbps or Megabits per second.  Others want to know the transfer speed of files.  So the result is also shown in MB/s or Megabytes per second.  Please read https://testmy.net/understand-bandwidth for details on the difference.

Hope you have a great weekend too.  I look forward to helping more of your customers in the future.

- Damon - TestMy.net