Jump to content
CA3LE

Tests returning GigE and above speeds...

Recommended Posts

Quote

I think Comcast is buggering your tests - multiple tests from three
different PC's on several browsers and I'm getting 1.5-2.9 Gbps
download speed (2187% faster than Comcast average).

Pretty good for a line that's capped at 50 Mbps...

 

--
Ed

 

Hi Ed,
 
Send me a link to your results so I can inspect further.  Visit https://testmy.net/myresults then copy and paste the URL that loads in your browser back to me.
- D
 
Quote

Damon:

Here it is:

https://testmy.net/compID/22847310230

on my main PC...

 

--
Ed

 

When the page loads, do you see a progress bar at all?  Does the progress start at 0%, then quickly go up to 100% or does it load without progress?
 
Let's try this.  http://co.testmy.net/dl-256  -- a minor modification was made to the program on this specific server.  So follow that link.
 
Thank you for your help,
- Damon
 
----
 
Hi Ed,
 
I see that it worked.
 
I updated the codebase and it's propagated to all of the servers.
 
Go ahead and re-test on the Dallas server you were using before https://testmy.net/dl-256 and hit me back.
 
Quote

Damon:

On any Chromium /WebKit based browser, the download test is
near-instantaneous (blink and you miss it). Gecko based and it's
derivatives like Goanna it is a bit slower, but still shows near-GigE
speeds.

The dl-256 test though, shows 59.2 Mbps in both WebKit and Goanna/Gecko,
which is within parameters for a 50 Mbps Comcast link.

Thanks for the quick turn-around!

--
Ed

 

----

Damon:

58.3 /10.8 - much more realistic results!

Thanks again for the rapid response and quick update!

--
Ed

 

Sweet.  And no problem, glad you were able to work with me.  I've seen some results like that but I haven't been able to reproduce.  If you ever see anything that I need to work on, please never hesitate, you have my email.  If it's of high importance, like this was, I'm on it!

 
Looking at your results got me thinking about what might cause that.  Looking at the code as if I were a web browser trying to optimize the data flow I noticed something... the way I'm hiding the data being loaded could easily be interpreted as something it can skip over.  So I rewrote that little tiny portion of the method... now, I think a browser would be crazy to skip over it because it's part of the DOM.  Even though it's hidden, the browser assumes that it may be called upon later on so it should always load that information now.
 
You must have some kind of option enabled, extension or installed program that removes 'comments' from the code.  It was being commented using common HTML comments <!-- -->.  If you can think of what's different on your computer that may have caused this, I would love to know so I can write about it.  Please email me back any time.
 
Please take a few seconds and join TestMy.net.  I need more people like you, members get new features before the general public and if your IP changes TMN will keep track of your results better if you're registered.
 
Thank you, thank you, thank you for working with me on this.  You've definitely made TestMy.net better.
 
I hope you like what I'm building and spread the word.  Nobody knows about TMN unless you tell them.  
- Damon
 
Quote

Damon:

No problem on the troubleshooting side.

I can't think of any "special" settings, but I do tend to use either
bleeding edge versions (Chromium /Canary), or specialized
more-securable/secure browser versions (PaleMoon, Brave, Basilisk), so
there may be something in the codebase that is treating comments
'strictly' per HTML5 and not parsing /processing them as would be
expected in one of the more commonly installed browsers, even on
alternative OS's like Android and ChromeOS.

I went ahead and registered, and will definitely submit any other
oddities for consideration.

Thank you,

--
Ed

 

 

Ed,

 
Not sure if you saw the other reply I made.  Can you run this for me when you get a chance.   https://testmy.net/dl-256 -- just to confirm on the server you were previously using.
Quote

Damon:

The DL-256 test works as expected (57.9 Mbps) on all browsers.  I'm on
a Comcast Business line, using the latest supported modem (Cisco
DPC3941B, default configuration) and though I do have an OpnSense
firewall, when the strange results were initially observed I plugged
directly into the modem to eliminate any potential caching that might be
occuring, whether or not it was explicitly enabled or configured.

I tested on two Win10 devices and one ChromeOS device, using Basilisk,
Chrome Canary, Chromium, Opera, Pale Moon, and Brave.


--
Ed

 

OpnSense could have had something to do with it but then you said you bypassed that.  So it must be something else.  Something common to all of those machines but uncommon for most other machines.

 
I guess what matters the most is that it's working properly under whatever configuration caused the problem.
 
Thanks again Ed, I look forward to seeing you around.  Happy Testing!
- Damon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
Speed Test Version 15.9
© 2018 TestMy Net LLC - TestMy.net - Terms & Privacy