Host Graph

Mookie

I am trying to figure out why am I having so frequent streaming stalls on various devices when my download speed tests never drop below 10 Mbps.

My ISP denies any problem.

So could the volatility and under 0.5 Mbps low points in the ''Host Graph''  provide evidence for them ?

How should I interpret ''Host Graph'' data?

Is it a collection representing download tests performed on testmynet in my country, city or more local ?

To me, that seems like either high packet loss or intermittent drop-outs, both which you can check by running an extended ping test while streaming.

On a Windows PC, open a command prompt (Start -> Windows System -> Command Prompt) and type the following command:

ping -t 8.8.8.8

You should see a continuous run of "Reply from 8.8.8.8".  Leave that window open and start streaming a programme. 

As soon as the streaming stalls, check the window for any "Request timed out" lines.  If you see three or more in a row, your connection had a brief outage.

Press CTRL + C on the keyboard to stop the ping utility.  Look at '% loss' figure.  If that is 1% or higher, scroll up by holding the mouse down on the top-right up-arrow and look out for lines that say 'Request timed out'.  If you see three or more grouped together, that is another brief outage.  If you come across five or more 'Request timed out' lines in one screen-full, this is a high packet loss issue, which can also interrupt streaming. 

I've had an issue in the past with at least 3 D-Link routers failing with a high packet loss with this exact symptom, i.e. no issue with browsing or speed tests, but could not reliably stream YouTube.

• CA3LE locked this topic