Who testmy.net is

An idea, an easy to find link for an "about" page.  Who's behind TMN.  Where does the funding come from?  It's stated TMN uses a "proprietary method", developed by who?  Which "is proven to help identify issues ",  could we see theses results (to legitimize the statement)?  Which issues does it identify?  The home page reads ..."see why millions of consumers choose TestMy.net", sure not all of them create an account - the tens-of-thousands of posts in the forums appear months old, if not 5 to 10 years old.  Is that still accurate?

DJ

• CA3LE changed the title to Who testmy.net is
3 hours ago, djk44883 said:

An idea, an easy to find link for an "about" page.  Who's behind TMN.  Where does the funding come from?  It's stated TMN uses a "proprietary method", developed by who?  Which "is proven to help identify issues ",  could we see theses results (to legitimize the statement)?  Which issues does it identify?  The home page reads ..."see why millions of consumers choose TestMy.net", sure not all of them create an account - the tens-of-thousands of posts in the forums appear months old, if not 5 to 10 years old.  Is that still accurate?

DJ

Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 9.51.05 AM.png

...not sure, never been there before.    ?

Hi DJ, Welcome to testmy.net!

Yes, that's all still accurate.  Millions of people still regularly use TMN, only a small percentage are members.  An even smaller percentage of members actually use the forums here.  Before facebook, these forums were much more popular.

To legitimize any of my statements all you have to do is search the internet.  I feel that other people have scrutinized and legitimized what I'm doing over the years, my methodology and core principals never change.  Many have put TMN under a microscope.  In my development I put it under a microscope too.  Maybe I should post more of those findings but if I focused my time on that... it would have to come from somewhere.  I think it's better left said by other people.

Funding comes from generous support from viewers like you... just kidding, PBS quote.  I have ads.  Maybe one day I won't have to.

TestMy.net has always been developed and maintained by one person.

Thanks for your reply.  I just didn't see any ads to know who supports the test.  Still you claim "proprietary method is proven to help identify issues other speed tests fail to detect."  without telling up what issues it helps me identify.  Can I really find info on a propriety method?  It just sounds vague and generalized. 

All that aside, I do find testmy.net to be one of the more reliable "speed test" sites I use. THANK YOU for all the work you have put into it.

DJ

I'll work on a page that cites examples for you.  They're here, just not compiled nicely for you.

I just go off of what many people tell me.  There are hundreds of stories (just that I've heard) of people who test perfectly fine using other speed tests and testmy.net reports the correct... much lower number.  They email me, often by starting out BLAMING testmy.net.  I tell them to trust the results and they usually email me back later, "testmy.net was right."  I get blamed whenever someone is slow. The other speed tests misrepresent the numbers so people think I'M the one who's wrong because I'm the outlier.  Just because the majority comes to the same answer doesn't mean they do it right.  --- testmy.net is often an outlier because it's a real test.  And instead of focusing on what they're not doing right... how about we all just use TestMy.net and call it a day?!?!  ?

I just posted one from the other day to a topic with some other examples I've shared in the past.

There are some in other topics in the FAQ / Ask TMN forum

When you're having issues and REALLY need testmy.net... that's when it works best and shows how it's truly proprietary.  Why anyone uses anything other than TMN with evidence that the others fail when needed the most... makes no sense.  Fact is, people just don't know.

1 hour ago, djk44883 said:

I just didn't see any ads to know who supports the test.

I try not to be all in your face with the ads.  Large portions of the site are purposely ad free (like the forum) and I'm also showing no ads to mobile users.  ;)

• 8 months later...

Hey @djk44883 I was reading through the thread and i enjoyed your critical (yet friendly) and constructive approach. Well done ☀️

Now to the point and first off: Thanks @CA3LE for keeping up the spirit and the site.

What i have come up with is that if you have any IT-related people in your friends circle you could show them the website for a "critical test" of the legitimacy of the project/website. 

On 7/16/2018 at 2:37 PM, djk44883 said:

DJ