why does my Dell disconnect from the 5G wireless?

mdpecha

I have a Dell Latitude 5480 (might need to rename to ATTITUDE 5480). In any case, I have Centurylink (supposed to be 40 MB speed) and I have a 2.4MGH and 5.0MGH frequency. The 5.0MGH is the 5G that is supposed to deliver the 40MBPS download speed. My laptop intermittently jumps off the 5G, and then I find it attached to the 2.4 (SLOW). I made it so that my computer ignores the 2.4, but now I get intermittent blips where the 5G disconnects and then takes 10-15 seconds to reconnect.  Frustrating. I have another computer right next to me (a chrome) and when my computer falls off the 5G, I pivot to the chromebook and can surf the web with no issues....that tells me it is a computer issue as opposed to a modem/router issue, but I am not a techie, so am unsure. CenturyLink is no help and I already had a Dell tech come and replace my wireless adapter (yesterday).

Has anyone ever experienced this or have any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks in advance if you take the time to respond....

Can’t help you with the computer problem, but even the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi shouldn’t be slow. It has more range (better through walls) than 5G, and supports speeds much higher than your 40 Mbps plan. 

Under ideal conditions, 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi will support up to 450 Mbps or 600 Mbps, depending on the class of the router. 5 GHz Wi-Fi will support up to 1300 Mbps.”

it depends on the router/model model and design how fast it will be and what range you’ll get. On an iPad Air 2 on a 200 Mbps plan, I get a full 200 on the 5G and roughly half that (90-95) on the 2.4 channel.

this isn’t to say you don’t have a computer problem, it sounds like you do because it’s disconnecting from the router altogether, and the chrome book sounds like it isn’t. It shouldn’t disconnect and reconnect if your signal strength is adequate on both the router and the computer.

hopefully someone with more PC knowledge than me will chime in.