Is my Internet speed accurate?

WilliamB

Does anyone else experience slow Internet connections, yet when they run a speed test it says they are at or above the promised speed? Then if you run a speed test from another website it shows a much slower speed. I tend to agree with the slower speed results as I recently tried to watch a You Tube video.  It took three minutes for the video to open and then after it opened it would run about two seconds then quit.  Two minutes later it would run two seconds again. After ten minutes I finally gave up.  Is HughesNet deceiving us on our promised speeds?

Here on testmy-net it shows my speed is at or above what I'm supposed to have (25mbps).  When I test my speed on other web sites it shows usually less than 5mbps. I suspect my actual speed is less than the 25 mbps as it takes a good while before things open and videos from You Tube will hardly play at all.  I tried a 4:29 video and after about 10 of waiting I finally gave up.

I see that you have some results that are higher and some that are much lower

16922292784's Speed Test Results

Does Hughes have you running through a proxy? 

Maybe they're processing it on their end and just relaying the information to the client.  Some kind of caching mechanism.

I really need to get my hands on a Hughes connection to test this.  Maybe a Hughes user would be willing to let me VNC into their desktop and see first hand what's happening on the client-side.  If I can witness something I can improve the test for that situation.

Can you try a few multithread speed tests for me.  Select a couple of US servers, save... then you can go to the download test and test as you normally would.  I suggest manually selecting 25 MB and let it run (unless you think it's going to take longer than 90 seconds).

I think the real problem is satellite itself, read this forum post in the hughestnet forum.  

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Trying-to-make-something-work-for-tv-Hulu-Netflix-YouTube-etc/td-p/20589

Downloading raw data and streaming something are different.  Streaming can become an issue with the increased latency of satellite connections.

(discussing LAN... it's much worse on satellite.)

http://www.ihiji.com/how-lan-latency-impacts-streaming-video/

Here's a good read >> https://broadbandnow.com/report/satellite-internet-good-enough-rural-broadband/

I see a lot of people saying that they can stream certain services like YouTube and Netflix just fine but have issues with others.  Give us an example of a video you're trying to play.

I hear satellite users talking about using NightShift to download streaming content for later viewing and at lower quality to say within data caps.  If you try that let us know how it works for you.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Fredor5 said:

I was getting test results of 16mbps until Vimeo recomended I use this site , which showed 8mbps , I complained to Optus and now I am getting 47 mbps 

Now that's what we like to hear!!

978593978134's Speed Test Results (results prior to signing up)

Thank you for sharing that.

What was the issue that was slowing you down so much?  Just totally their end? ... did you feel like all it took was a complaint and they were like, "Turn him up, he knows!"

15 hours ago, Pgoodwin1 said:

Amazing they’re actually really helpful. Are they in an alternate universe?

No, not at all.  You just have to think about who wrote it, Vimeo's technical department, they're IT dudes like we are.  They don't have any horse in the game so they really just want to help people and get them to get the right answer.

The people who I'd think were in an alternate universe (at this point... didn't used to be this way) if they said that... internet service providers.  Nearly all of them.  I hope one day that changes.  I hope one day that they're delivering service so outstanding and they're so confident in its performance that they purposely refer people to the most difficult internet speed test... instead of ones that favor them / make efforts to give users the best chance to score high.

But like I said before in this forum, until then... I'm more than happy with the >1% who get it.

On 12/7/2018 at 6:56 PM, CA3LE said:

Now that's what we like to hear!!

978593978134's Speed Test Results (results prior to signing up)

Thank you for sharing that.

What was the issue that was slowing you down so much?  Just totally their end? ... did you feel like all it took was a complaint and they were like, "Turn him up, he knows!"

Yes that most certainly was the way it was, proof, it did not cost me a cent to be upgraded 

On 12/8/2018 at 1:38 AM, Pgoodwin1 said:

Amazing they’re actually really helpful. Are they in an alternate universe?

Yes that is exactly where I found it, my surprise was the effort they put into solving my problem , when in fact they were not at fault , I had to in the end apologise to them 

• CA3LE locked this topic