Are there any extended time tests available?

CAPSL0CKS0N

I'm wondering if there are any tests that can continuously run for an extended period of time to capture network downtime and throttling that I might not notice while I'm not actively using my network. I'm getting sick and tired of Comcast's bull. I know I don't have any other option as is the cable cabal but I would like to gather connection statistics as to what connection I'm being provided. 
Other than that so far I like your test, the only thing it's missing is that when my internet sucks and I run the Comcast test I magically get 150+mbps for a couple hours afterwards where you just give me my throttled/over subscribed speed.

Testmy.net has an extended auto bandwidth test  with frequency as well as duration variables.

I would imagine the throughput spread your experiencing is due to the ISP testing server is likely located on their system, close to you, before any external network or shaping / filtering they may have in place.

Where testmy.net is testing the route between your ISP and the testing server.

• 3 months later...

Hi capslock. I know this an old post, but did you ever find another website/app/tool that can continuously run for an extended period of time to capture network up/down speeds? Testmy can do up to 200 tests, one every 10min, which is about 33 hrs. Then need to restart for another 33hrs., etc...

I was hoping to find another tool that could run continuously for a much longer time. Any suggestions? 

thanks

19 hours ago, rrr10 said:

Hi capslock. I know this an old post, but did you ever find another website/app/tool that can continuously run for an extended period of time to capture network up/down speeds? Testmy can do up to 200 tests, one every 10min, which is about 33 hrs. Then need to restart for another 33hrs., etc...

I was hoping to find another tool that could run continuously for a much longer time. Any suggestions? 

thanks

Especially with your speed, averaging (last 7 days)...

rrr10.png

... I wouldn't want my connection partially degraded every 5 minutes.  The test will try to use as much bandwidth as it can.  As a result the internet connection to any computer on your network will slow down during the test.  Depending on the connection this may or may not be noticeable.  My own connection, I can never tell when it's running in the background.  Locally or elsewhere on my network.  But a much slower connection, especially if it's shared over a network, you may feel that.

I limit the amount of time you can do 5 minute tests because most people really shouldn't be testing THAT frequently for super extended periods.  Many people do and if it helps you I'm all for it.  Who am I to tell you how to use TMN?...... in many ways, over the years my users have showed ME how to use this.

What if I offered you a paid option, where you would have your own PRIVATE test server, maybe something like $6/month?  And a premium version that's $3/month that offers no ads and additional access to private but shared servers that have the ability to run tests for as many days as you need.  So $9 would get you no ads, your own private test server and access to additional private/shared test servers.)

Edited by CA3LE
submitted post early on accident

I would pay a one time free for an "app", but not interested in a monthly cost. I'd even pay for a 'lesson'/info on how to do it. I'm an elect engineer with some software background.

I run currently Testmy on a Kindle. Preferred since it's much lower power than my pc, and it runs 24/7. Would your solution run on a Kindle?

thanks

4 hours ago, rrr10 said:

I would pay a one time free for an "app", but not interested in a monthly cost. I'd even pay for a 'lesson'/info on how to do it. I'm an elect engineer with some software background.

I run currently Testmy on a Kindle. Preferred since it's much lower power than my pc, and it runs 24/7.

How long would you like to run a test for?

4 hours ago, rrr10 said:

Would your solution run on a Kindle?

It would be the same test you've been using, I'd just unlock the ability to run it longer.