Auto test not running

DannyDeLoach

If your computer was put to sleep overnight and then you turned it back on this morning the timing mechanism was paused while your computer was asleep.

Try running an auto test on a lower interval (like 15 minutes) so you can get a feel for how it runs.  Then turn it up to your desired 12 hour interval... just make sure your computer is set to stay awake.  The display and drives can sleep, screensaver is fine... the browser window doesn't even need to be in focus or visible.  But if the computer goes to sleep or hibernation... the auto test won't work.

Here's instructions from Western Digital on how to change those settings.  This is the first thing I change on a new computer.

Looks like you're running Windows 10...

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=3875#win10

If you're using a laptop make sure you're plugged in during testing and change the power management settings back when you're done otherwise your battery will drain quicker.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks for your quick and thorough support.  I didn't realize I had to keep the computer running continuously, in order for Auto Test to work.  I appreciate your guide for how to keep my computer running.  Is there any option to have Auto Tests run without keeping my computer on continuously?  I can ensure the computer is on when the test is scheduled, but I'm not in a situation where I can keep my computer on continuously.

Not right now but I think I can make some modifications to make it work the way you need.  I actually already took a note to look into that after your first post.

Give me a little while to mess around with it and I'll get back to this thread soon.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I appreciate the helpful information in this post. A few questions/suggestions:

1) You said "the browser window doesn't even need to be in focus or visible"... so from my understanding, you DO have to keep your browser open while the auto speed test is running, correct? I.e., you can minimize your browser or have it in the background, but it must stay open.

2) That said, I think it would be pretty cool to have this automatic testing always running in the background, and maybe it could test via browser without actually opening it. Like, I'd be willing to download an app or something from TMN if I could set it to test my connection every 1.5 hours until I tell it to stop. I'd sure enjoy seeing a plot of my internet speeds over an entire year or something crazy like that, but that may just be me.

On 3/9/2019 at 11:07 AM, ncummock said:

1) ...DO have to keep your browser open while the auto speed test is running, correct? I.e., you can minimize your browser or have it in the background, but it must stay open.

You can just minimize the browser or have it running in a different browser tab and just ignore it.

On 3/9/2019 at 11:07 AM, ncummock said:

2) ... I'd be willing to download an app or something from TMN if I could set it to test my connection every 1.5 hours until I tell it to stop. I'd sure enjoy seeing a plot of my internet speeds over an entire year or something crazy like that, but that may just be me.

I see what you're saying, it would be cool to have it in the tray, running as a task.

I'm heavy in the belief that web applications will be the future of nearly all applications.  I've always geared TestMy.net toward a 100% browser experience.  

The new version of TestMy.net is a full PWA.  Taking advantage of many new browser features, 100% adopted by all major browsers at this point.  In the next versions of Chrome you will be able to install TestMy.net and have it run and behave as a normal desktop application.  You can also add it to your mobile device and have a more app like feel.  It's much faster and offers offline capabilities.  For instance enabling auto resume for the automatic speed test, a feature I've always been looking to add.

Testing time is near.

The new functionality coming to developers in browsers ... is blurring the lines between native and web applications.  I imagine it's only the beginning.  The progression at the browser level is ramping up quickly.  Browsers are implementing cutting edge features at an astonishing rate and it's feeling like ALL of them are agreeing to standards for once.  I've been developing for the internet since the beginning, never seen this kind of progress.

I've never developed for iOS, Android, Desktop etc.  Now and especially in the future ONE web application can branch across all of those platforms.  Especially when you're a single developer... it can be hard to manage even 1 code base.

So I hope that in the future it's just part of the way TestMy.net works... using the latest tools I have available.    

Hopefully you'll see by minimizing it... you can run it that way for over a year.  

On 3/12/2019 at 5:58 PM, CA3LE said:

The new version of TestMy.net is a full PWA.  Taking advantage of many new browser features, 100% adopted by all major browsers at this point.  In the next versions of Chrome you will be able to install TestMy.net and have it run and behave as a normal desktop application.  You can also add it to your mobile device and have a more app like feel.  It's much faster and offers offline capabilities.  For instance enabling auto resume for the automatic speed test, a feature I've always been looking to add.

Testing time is near.