14 years...

Odysseus_____

Hi All!

14 years ago I made an account here, and man oh man have things changed in that time. At the time, I had a connection at work that was "fast" compared to a lot of people in the US because I was hanging on 3 multiplexed DS3's.. at the time it provided me a whopping 45 Mbits of bandwidth. I thought I was hot stuff.. 

Anyway, good to be back; glad to see the forum is still active.

Odysseus_____

Glad to see you back!

9 hours ago, Odysseus_____ said:

I was hanging on 3 multiplexed DS3's.. at the time it provided me a whopping 45 Mbits of bandwidth. I thought I was hot stuff..

That was rare... now we have it in our pockets.  Insane.

10 hours ago, Odysseus_____ said:

Anyway, good to be back; glad to see the forum is still active.

Not like it was... I feel like since social media gave people other outlets, forums in general across the internet aren't poppin' like they used to be.  I'm sure the largest forums are still highly active but probably not at the same levels of participation.  The vast majority of people who visit TestMy.net just use the speed test, probably never realizing there's a forum at all.  Sites back in the day that primarily focused on forums may have done better when times changed... for TMN, forums were never my focus.  They're used more for support and getting feedback from my users.

I watched the forum portion of my traffic dwindle over the years but the main draw of TMN (speed test) became more popular than ever.

An open beta for TMN will be coming soon btw.  Last major redesign was in late 2012.  I have a long list of tweaks and touchups to do before release but it's on the way.

Yeah, forums definitely aren't what they used to be. It's a shame in this case; there was always some useful information, particularly with optimizing one's connection and whatnot. I see SpeedGuide.net is still around too. I just wonder how a lot of the old tweaks relate to today's technology. For instance, I'm on 1Gb up/down fiber right now. Back then, you only saw that overseas.

Another thing is most people don't understand that when you pay for a 1 Gb/sec connection to your house, you aren't necessarily going to see those speeds all the time. You are paying for a connection that is *capable* of those speeds. On my connection, when actually downloading and not testing, I may see 700 Mb/s IF the host allows enough simultaneous connections. Otherwise, it's 300-500 or so. It varies a lot. Hell TMN shows me about 200 Mb/sec if I'm lucky. But in comparison to all the  other scores on the same provider, it's not bad.

• 4 weeks later...