TCP Optimizer

1madmouse

I have been here a while,  but haven't posted before.  I have Charter/Spectrum for my ISP.  Lately my speeds have been dropping in the evening making it impossible to play any of my online games,  very frustrating. I didn't really want to call my ISP and hear all the garbage they give out to make it look like the problem is with my equipment or on my end of the connection.  I finally installed the TCP Optimizer,  I know I should have done this a long time ago.  Now my Test.My.net results are 89.6mps from the 23.1mps I was getting before this. I might also add that AT&T has just run a fiber line behind my home a few months ago and is offering a faster connection IF you bundle.  I would think Spectrum would get their act together and make sure their speeds were more consistent so as to keep the customers they have . Perhaps they could care less.  Anyway thanks for the great program and all the good stuff here at Test.My.net

Well according to Spectrum,  we are supposed to get 100mbs down and about 10 up. My speeds have climbed to 89 since I ran TCP Optimizer. My biggest gripe was huge lag right in the middle of my games,  might as well not even log on to play with 132ping.  Normally is about 32.  I have made sure I have a good modem , Arris SB6183, and router, Netgear R6200v2,  keep my stuff up to date.  We wanted to go with the 200mps,  but the install was very expensive in my opinion.

I do have another question,  how to test our ISP ping,  or the lag we experience when connecting?  Unless i missed something,  I was unable to find that.  Makes me wonder why sometimes they go through 32 routers,  and other times over a 100.?  I'm not a streamer,  nor do I download huge MB of information or files,  so wouldn't think I was being throttled. Just hate feeling helpless and have to take whatever the ISP gives us.  We pay good money,  and they are making a nice junk of change,  we should able to get what we pay for.  Who has the authority to make these companies provide what they promise?

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/15/2018 at 8:39 PM, 1madmouse said:

I do have another question,  how to test our ISP ping,  or the lag we experience when connecting?  Unless i missed something,  I was unable to find that.  Makes me wonder why sometimes they go through 32 routers,  and other times over a 100.?  I'm not a streamer,  nor do I download huge MB of information or files,  so wouldn't think I was being throttled. Just hate feeling helpless and have to take whatever the ISP gives us.  We pay good money,  and they are making a nice junk of change,  we should able to get what we pay for.  Who has the authority to make these companies provide what they promise?

I’m another long time user, first time poster.  To check ping, you can use the ping command followed by the ip address or URL of the server you wish to ping.  The tracert command on Windows and the traceroute command on *NIX including macOS X and Ubuntu works the same way, you can also look them up gir more information. 

I would say my biggest concern is how to regulate the ISPs,  I know good luck. Its down to get what you pay for,  not have to settle for what they throw. I apologize for being vague about finding ping. We as end users have no control over much of what we receive,  meaning there is a limit to how much we can optimize. Are we at the mercy of our providers,  or is there more we can do?

• 4 weeks later...
  • CA3LE locked this topic