What am I testing?

Pahoo Katawah

I must be missing something. I was thinking that multi-thread translates to 'several, simultaneous streams' as opposed to one stream or several 'concurrent' or "interlaced" streams.

What am I testing where? 

A - Single stream 

B - Multiple interlaced streams

C - Multiple concurrent streams

D - Multiple simultaneous streams

Ignoring duplex, direction and such factors. Just looking for the starting point to understanding. Is it possible to simulate a single user/multiuser environment without having several local devices signed in and running identical tests at nearly identical start times? 

If I don’t receive a serious reply, then I can read into it that I should just spend my time on other things and let this entire endeavor be what it will be and people will just have to make the most of what they experience.

Welcome Pahoo Katawah!

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond.  The past week has been spent racking upgraded servers and upgrading my backend networking.  I haven't been able to answer very many questions.

When you test with the default linear download test totally random data is loaded directly into the browser.  Basically as text your browser can see but you can't.  When you test with multithread your browser is rendering a bunch of HTML elements which are able to be concurrently downloaded.  Basically a bunch of images... you can't see.

When your browser is presented with data in the way the multithread test renders it will open more than one connection and concurrently download the resources.  

I hope this helps give you a feel for what's actually happening during the test.

Thank you for the clarifications and I apologize for my impatience ?‼️ I was getting stressed out by several things and you were my only hope to get these issues resolved since my free router support ended 12/31/2018, which caught me off guard.

I’m loving your site and hope to become an active member.

Happy New Year,

?️ahoo 

3 minutes ago, Pahoo Katawah said:

Thank you for the clarifications and I apologize for my impatience ?‼️ I was getting stressed out by several things and you were my only hope to get these issues resolved since my free router support ended 12/31/2018, which caught me off guard.

I’m loving your site and hope to become an active member.

Happy New Year,

?️ahoo 

Yea! My Status changed from “Earning Trust” to “New Member”‼️‼️?

• 3 months later...

EDIT: (When I posted this it appeared under the name Big Beef and not Pahoo. Big Beef was another old nickname I had so now I’m confused ??‍♂️ if I created 2 accounts⁉️ I’m supposed to be Pahoo Katawah.)

This site has allowed me to document the incredibly poor service I’ve been receiving and the ISP responded by confirming it and said they need to do pole work. They’ve called the police to arrange a day/time and I’m waiting to hear back about it.

I pay for 400 Mbps down but receive between 50 and 150 (see my testing results). If I pay for 100 Mbps I save $10/month! I’m just going to keep pushing them, which is why I spend my time running and sending test results instead of getting in here to the forum ☹️ ?‼️

:roll:

Pahoo

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

My ISP came and replaced the cable running from the telephone pole to my house. Today they verified everything from the pole to the modem looked ok from their remote diagnostics so they are sending someone tomorrow to check inside the house. I told them I'm running a CAT6 cable directly from the modem to the computer port and gave them the average speeds.

But I have to ask you a different question that I hope I have not already asked. Do I need to do a ping or some other test to determine the speed up and down from my computer to the local ISP server and then add that into the speed test? Somehow I get the feeling that speed tests actually test the speed between two servers, the ISP server and a remote server, but not from my computer to the ISP server to the remote server and back to my computer. Can anyone clarify this for me before the service person arrives sometime tomorrow?

Thanks!

Oh, I ask this because I have been choosing two ISP servers to test, meaning an Optonline server in NY and another Optonline server in NY because NY is the home of my ISP, Optonline. I've definitely done it elsehwere wher I can pick the two servers but have also tried to do it here by picking the NY server under the Eastern Location category.

Remember, they are your Internet Service Provider... not local area network provider.  Measuring your speed to their servers doesn't tell you much about how they're delivering your Internet.

TestMy.net is the only test results you need to present them with.

Also, because you're a member TMN has been tracking your response time (ping) in the background.

Pahoo Katawah Response Time

That looks really good actually.  Ping isn't always an indicator.

2 hours ago, Pahoo Katawah said:

Somehow I get the feeling that speed tests actually test the speed between two servers, the ISP server and a remote server, but not from my computer to the ISP server to the remote server and back to my computer.

TestMy.net is testing between the client and server.  The client being your machine.  The route the connection must take to do that has it running right through your providers connections.  Not just testing between the server and your ISP.  Between you and the server and everything between.  ;)

22 hours ago, CA3LE said:

Remember, they are your Internet Service Provider... not local area network provider.  Measuring your speed to their servers doesn't tell you much about how they're delivering your Internet.

TestMy.net is the only test results you need to present them with.

Also, because you're a member TMN has been tracking your response time (ping) in the background.

Pahoo Katawah Response Time

That looks really good actually.  Ping isn't always an indicator.

TestMy.net is testing between the client and server.  The client being your machine.  The route the connection must take to do that has it running right through your providers connections.  Not just testing between the server and your ISP.  Between you and the server and everything between.  ;)

Bingo! I DIDN'T know that, that you actually include the "Me to Thee" 1st server! Well, that says it all ... EXCEPT

I spent an hour or more with the tech today and had everything from this site on hardcopy for 'us' to go over, except that he wasn't interested in anything other than the ISP OOKLA site, which, of course, showed wonderful bandwidth speeds contrary to here and a couple of others I had pulled to backup all of my data from here. Ultimately, he gave me a free-to-use company router which did produce the somewhat better speeds. He neglected to mention that it targeted an initial server different from the one that was hardcoded with my original service and I was too tired to go there even though I had a printed map of the location of the original.

Well, it's dinner time so I'll finish the story later in the other topic of mine that you were good enough to reply to! :-)

Pahoo aka Big Beef

CA3LE:  I actually "fixed" a part of the testing late last night by running and timing the Multithread tests here to synch with the ISP's OOKLA Speedtest, causing this to run interference with that, and I was pleasantly surprised at the results. I have to go back and revisit them but as I recall, the slowest download to occur was > 150 Mbps and only happened once. All others were +200 and even here, they were fast.  /Pahoo Pete

Just read this and felt compelled to quote you here:

The true worth of an ISP

In our opinion the true value of an Internet service provider isn't always measured in megabits. Truly great providers maintain good peering relationships with other providers so their users sustain quality speeds throughout the Internet, not just near by.

What good is an Internet connection if you can only get your advertised speeds on your providers internal network (or on the edge of their network).

It's the INTERnet not INTRAnet. If you run a speed test elsewhere and get higher results than you get here, poor provider peering may be to blame.

This is a whole new world and the deeper I go (just below the surface) the more perplexing it becomes️ Yesterday I did an IP search of my new “public” IP via the ISP, and it came up with New Haven, Connecticut. Today I did the same exact thing and it came up with Orange, Connecticut! What!?! It’s time for me to call a Time Out!

• 7 months later...