garen123

Stuttering and cpu usage

Hi, i just installed windows 7 pro 64bits on a new ssd, replacing the hdd i had. Just after, when i was watching some vídeos i noticed that the image was stuttering too much, went to task mngr and it shows that the CPU is always working, not to 100% but when i move a window or open a vídeo file it peaks. Also, after rebooting the pc, my keyboard died. I have tryed EVERYTHING, from drivers to try another pc... Same result, unknown device. It was working and nothing happened, just rebooted pc. Now i have installed the drivers that where missing but the thing still doesnt work and the stuttering keeps there. I alzó tryed reinstslling win7 on my old hdd, same result. Even unpluged GPU just to make sure it wssnt that, but didnt made a difference. I hace checked temperatures , drivers, ahci, tryed Ultra DMA 6, changing from 1 to 4 cpu's on msconfig... Everything, but cant get rid of the stuttering and CPU peaking. Please help!!!!

Check the PC's BIOS set up to see if there are any floppy drives configured.  If there is any an 1.44MB drive listed, change it to 'None'.

I have come across a similar issue before where some older motherboards automatically add a 1.44MB entry if the BIOS CMOS is reset, such as after replacing the CMOS battery.  If a floppy drive is configured and there is no floppy drive connected (which are obsolete anyway), Windows will stutter terribly, especially when opening the file explorer. 

I’ve got one work PC at home that uses gobs of CPU%. It’s a Win7 Machine. I believe a significant portion of the issue was caused by one (or more) of the Windows updates last October - December. In my particular case, I hadn’t used the PC in a few months, so when I fired it up, there were a dozen or so SW (Windows and Office) updates that were “waiting to install” and the windows update services we’re eating up over 50%. The machine was consistently running between 75% and 100%. When I’d move the mouse or drag a window, it would flatline at 100%. Out IT guy helped the installation process by “focusing my computer on the install process”. Not sure what he did, but I believe he ended some processes in Task Manager. Not sure which ones.

i went online and found quite a few discussions about high CPU usage people were having after the 4th quarter Windows and Office updates. Found another article that said a corrupted mouse driver was causing the high CPU usage. Seems there’s a lot of possibilities. 

Im a Mac user so I can tell you the safe way to go about correcting things. On a Mac, if you boot up in Safe Mode, it clears out issues. Perhaps on a PC it does something similar.

my work IT guy said it was probably time to upgrade my 8 yr old Win7 pro laptop to a new one. It’s still running at 25% cpu usage just sitting there doing nothing. My 10 yr old work desktop PC running Win7 pro however sits at 5-10% CPU sitting there doing nothing. Seems like the laptop could be “fixed”. 

On 1/18/2019 at 6:59 AM, Sean said:

If a floppy drive is configured and there is no floppy drive connected (which are obsolete anyway), Windows will stutter terribly, especially when opening the file explorer. 

Really!?  I've never seen this 

The residual effects of floppy are so long lasting...  people are STILL being slowed down by floppy drives!  And they don't even have them. :haha:

Here's another topic on the subject from overclockers.com >> Windows 10 Windows Explorer slowed down by floppy disk controller causing delays

On 1/18/2019 at 6:31 AM, garen123 said:

I alzó tryed reinstslling win7 on my old hdd, same result. Even unpluged GPU just to make sure it wssnt that, but didnt made a difference. I hace checked temperatures , drivers, ahci, tryed Ultra DMA 6, changing from 1 to 4 cpu's on msconfig... Everything, but cant get rid of the stuttering and CPU peaking. Please help!!!!

Sounds like you've troubleshooted most areas I would try.  So you have a discrete graphics card but you disabled it and tried the onboard video and got the same result?

Next thing I might try is a fresh install of Windows 10 instead of Windows 7.  There may be a new driver or something that's buggy and the different version for Win10 might not contain the same bug.

Get Windows 10 from MS for free, use your Windows 7 product key and you're good to go.  Even if you didn't have a key, you'd just have an activation notice many people won't notice... nothing intrusive or annoying like in the past.   backup your files --- fresh install only!  None of that upgrade crap.  Maybe test it on your old HDD first.

You don't need brand new hardware to run Win10, it scales very well in all of my testing.

Personally if switching to windows 10 doesn't have any affect on the problem I might also try installing a basic desktop linux distro like Ubuntu.  If you boot into Ubuntu and you have the same issues you can pretty much guarantee that it's a more major hardware issue.

Let us know if any of our suggestions help.

I just after troubleshooting someone's laptop with a similar stuttering issue that took a few hours to finally catch the culprit.  The laptop took a few boot attempts to get into Windows 7, usually with it hanging at the Windows logo before displaying a 0x0000007b BSOD.  Once in Windows, it stuttered to the point where I was convinced the hard disk was failing. 

I took a spare SSD I had handy and did a 1:1 clone to the SSD using ddrescue in Linux.  To my surprise, the clone process did not appear to slow down at any stage and completed without any error.  I put the SSD in and just like the HDD, it took several boot attempts to get into Windows 7 and stuttered just as bad as before. 

The next time I tried is scan the HDD for Malware and the only thing present was a few potentially unwanted products in the Downloads folder, but nothing active.  I uninstalled Avast, which I've had bad experience with in the past for causing unexpected boot failures (a Google on that BSOD code interestingly took me to an Avast problem thread). 

As the laptop seemed to boot into the Windows 7 Repair partition fine (although very slowly), I decided to change the SATA driver for the Windows default driver.  This time the laptop booted up fine with each attempt, but still took a few minutes to fully boot.  I even checked the BIOS to ensure AHCI mode was enabled, which it was. 

Finally as I was about to give up and do a clean Windows installation, I just thought I'll check Windows Explorer to see if there's any unexpected drive letters, like the past phantom floppy drive issue.  While there was no floppy drive listed (no surprise given that laptops dropped them around 20 years ago), there was no CD/DVD drive either and that laptop had a DVD drive. 

Just for curiosity, I unscrewed and removed the DVD drive, booted and what a difference it made.  It booted a lot faster into Windows (not 2-3 minutes) and the stuttering was gone.  I restored the Intel SATA driver and it still booted without issue after multiple boots.  Finally, I put the original HDD back in as the owner just wanted the stuttering issue fixed.  While the HDD is a lot slower than the SSD, at least it was not stuttering like a HDD riddled with bad sectors.

So another troubleshooting step to add when troubleshooting a stuttering issue - Disconnect that optical drive! ?