My Upload Speed is 99% SLOWER than my host average

I'm in crisis mode. I've googled everything I can think of and tried everything even remotely related to anything I could find. 

I have never had upload problems in the past until about a week ago, and to my knowledge, nothing changed on my computer. However I am a nomad, so my location changed. I got to a small village in France and I assumed it was the location. 5 days later I'm in Brighton UK with great high speed internet access and STILL next to no ability to upload anything. This is NOT good for my business and I'm panicking. 

I know very little about how computers work, I just know I need them to! I do a lot of video work. I have an MSI laptop, super high end gaming computer, though I don't know what details you might need to know to help with this particular issue.

I've gone through the Sticky post for this thread and since it's from 2004 I didn't do a few steps, but I did many...

1. I am operating Windows 10 OS

2. My ISP is Virgin Media Limited, I don't know the advertised speeds because I'm in a temporary home, I just know it's high speed and the owner owns an IT company, so it's good. He's not here, so I can't bring this to him :-( 
3. I tried to try the tweaking program listed in the "do this first" post, but it's not operational anymore and I don't know what a tweaking program is in order to find another option

4. According to testmy.net my upload speed is 146 kbps, nitro is not loading, and the CMD prompt results are:

C:\Users\Monique Nelson>tracert testmy.net

Tracing route to testmy.net [104.28.22.102]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  2     *      202 ms   233 ms  brig-core-2b-xe-810-0.network.virginmedia.net [80.3.64.113]
  3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  5   269 ms   190 ms   189 ms  tclo-ic-3-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [212.250.25.62]
  6   224 ms   222 ms   238 ms  linx-lon1.as13335.net [195.66.225.179]
  7   299 ms   210 ms   166 ms  104.28.22.102

Trace complete.

6. I use Chrome exclusively.
12. I use Avast, did a scan, all good

13. All Windows Updates are up to date

14. Ran CCleaner & restarted

Edited by CA3LE
added graphed results to post

Welcome to testmy.net Monique, hopefully we can help get you up to a useable speed.

Please take a moment and look at my new connection speed guide, it may help you track down the issue.

First thing we need to know... what is your upload speed supposed to be?  Maybe the access you've been granted has some kind of upload cap enabled.  Sounds like the guy you're getting the connection from might know how to do that.  Maybe he inadvertently set your upload speed way too low.  You can't get ahold of him to ask?

Hi Ca3le! 

Thanks for the comment!

Unfortunately the owners of the home I'm at are on vacation (I'm a housesitter), so can't help too much with specifics, however he confirmed that he doesn't know why upload speed would be so compromised, so as a tech guy I assume he wouldn't have set a speed low as he needs it for his work as well. I'm guessing it's somehow my laptop. I've tried plugging directly into the Ethernet, and it doesn't improve speeds at all. 

I've done the 3 tests you suggest (see attached) , but I can't do the power cycle and reboot until tomorrow (I'm in the UK), but I have done it previously and it hasn't made a difference.

I don't really understand step 6 in your guide, but I haven't clicked through the links yet. I'll do that first thing tomorrow. 

Thanks for trying to help, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

results-mirro.png

results-1.png

results-multithread.png

To me it seems like a file sharing application (e.g. BitTorrent based) may be hogging the uplink.  Bring up the Windows Task Manager (Shift + Ctrl + ESC), go into the Performance tab and then go into Ethernet or WiFi on the left, depending on how you're connected. 

If the "Send" value shows continuous activity, go into the Process tab, then click the Network heading (indicated below) to sort down by network usage.  This should reveal the culprit.  In the following example, I ran an upload test in Firefox, so it clearly stands out here:

357825605_Taskmanagernetusage.png.e4cc9dfa6863745604220a7bfdd3a4e4.png

If nothing shows up on your computer, try disconnecting every network device you have (mobiles, tablets, Internet connected set top boxes, etc.) and rerun the upload speed test on your PC.  If the upload speed is much better, reconnect a device, wait a few minutes and rerun the upload test.  Repeat for each device. 

Do you have another computer or device you can test on you rule out that it has anything to do with the laptop?  You can also try taking your laptop elsewhere, hook it up to wifi and test again (go somewhere with a strong public wifi or a friends house).  If you get similar results, then you can pretty much bet it's software related.  If you get much better results on another connection, it's most likely the network or the connection itself at fault.

I don't have another computer, no, I'm here all by myself! 

But as to the moving locations...I first noticed the no upload problem when I was at an AirBnB in France a week ish ago. I figured then that it was location based so I didn't fret, but I've since moved and the problem came with me :-(

I have been able upload enough that I'll be able to launch my summit (which was why I was in crisis mode) but only by allowing literally 12 hours per 30 minute video to upload...

Maybe try this.

Create a new user account (I see you're on windows 10), log out (completely) and log back in using the new account.

Personally, if I was having a hard time tracking down the issue I would format the computer and start fresh.  

I haven't tried it yet but you're supposed to have a "Fresh Start" option in Windows 10.  Which keeps your files. (still BACK THEM UP!!)

If you try this, please let us know how it goes.

Oh gosh...this is way too terrifying for me, hahaha. I have a 3 day virtual summit starting tomorrow and if I lost anything now I think I would start having VERY dark thoughts! 

I really appreciate all your help and suggestions! I'm going to suffer through it for the next few days then maybe bring it into a shop somewhere. I don't want to be responsible for hitting the wrong button and destroying my laptop...it's my livelihood!

I'll let you know how/if anything changes! 

I hear you, that's why I stress to backup your files before taking those steps.

Maybe after your virtual summit and you're back and comfortable at home... if it's still having the same issue, give it a "Fresh Start".  You really shouldn't be afraid to do this.  It may become part of a yearly routine for you in the future.

When I was running Windows as my main OS, I was formatting my computer completely about every 6 months.  It just runs better after a clean install... even to this day, that's why Windows 10 came out with the Fresh Start option.

I'll open a virtual machine and give it a try myself in a little bit.  I need to feel this myself.  Sounds much easier than a full format but does it reset all of the settings necessary to make it feel the same as freshly installed?

Little update:

I tried that Fresh Start option out and it was pretty simple and straight forward.  Kept all of the files, I'd just need to reinstall any programs that aren't from the windows store.

Booted up like a fresh install but it didn't prompt me for anything, just set it all up automatically.

A couple of progress bars got stuck at 1% for an uncomfortable amount of time.  Pretty typical so don't get worried.

This is MUCH easier and faster than formatting for sure.

Wait until you're comfortable.  If all else fails, this might be your ticket.

Just to rule out the laptop completely, try running a speed test on your mobile connected on the same Wi-Fi connection. 

In your phone's web browser, go to testmy.net, then run the upload test.  If the upload speed is much better on the phone, then the issue is likely a software issue on the computer (especially if you tested by both Ethernet and Wi-Fi).

If the upload speed on the mobile is also poor, the issue is with the home's Internet (try again with the laptop switched off to be sure).  In this case, if your mobile has good 4G reception there and you have a large data allowance (e.g. 5GB or more), try running an upload test over its data connection from your laptop.  Most phones have a hotspot feature (On Android it's Settings -> More -> Tethering & portable hotspot).  Turn this on and connect your laptop to that Wi-Fi (check phone's screen for its Wi-Fi password).  Then run an upload test.  Turn off the hotspot feature afterwards or reconnect your laptop back to the home's Wi-Fi network. 

Thanks CA3LE, 

I'll look into that after the summit. Just curious - any chance you run Dropbox? I keep 99% of everything in Dropbox so backing up really shouldn't be too bad but if I have to reload any programs that aren't Windows, re-syncing this program could take a while and I'll have to factor that in...

However, Sean is a genius. I can't believe I didn't try my mobile upload speeds! Turns out...that's not doing to hot either! Only 688 kbps, whereas my host average shows up as 23.9 Mbps. The city average is only 2.5 Mbps, which is still way better than what I'm getting, but is "host" the internet provider that I'm connected to?

I'm feeling like I'm back at square one BUT slightly relieved that maybe it's not my laptop afterall?

GAH, thank you guys so much for your patience and all your ideas!

5 hours ago, Monique Nelson said:

Just curious - any chance you run Dropbox? I keep 99% of everything in Dropbox so backing up really shouldn't be too bad but if I have to reload any programs that aren't Windows, re-syncing this program could take a while and I'll have to factor that in...

I'm pretty sure dropbox is only keeping track of the files that the fresh start wouldn't be touching anyways.  Before starting the process it will show you a list of programs that would need to be re-installed.  Most of them should be available for download from the manufactures with a quick Google search... some of them you might realize you don't actually need.  

Search for "fresh start" in the start menu and start the process to see the list, then make sure you're able to get all of the programs that you actually need.  Keep in mind, getting that information doesn't start the process.  You still have to confirm that you're ready to start.

But hey, you might not even need it.  Maybe it's just the connection you're on.

6 hours ago, Monique Nelson said:

However, Sean is a genius. I can't believe I didn't try my mobile upload speeds! Turns out...that's not doing to hot either! Only 688 kbps, whereas my host average shows up as 23.9 Mbps.

Yeah he is, that's why he has a special title here.  That's a great suggestion, I'll get that worked into the guide.  A quick comparison like this in this case tells us a lot.  -- the idea to try it the other way, using your phone's hotspot to the laptop will also tell us a lot.  Especially if your mobile internet is able to achieve a higher upload speed.

Sign in to your account on your phone, make sure you're on the same wifi as your computer and run a few more tests so we can see your results.  Then disconnect from the wifi and run upload tests using your mobile plan.

The city average is only 2.5 Mbps, which is still way better than what I'm getting, but is "host" the internet provider that I'm connected to?

Yes.

I'm feeling like I'm back at square one BUT slightly relieved that maybe it's not my laptop afterall?

I think it's been the connections you're connecting to recently.  You can prove it by putting your laptop on a KNOWN better connection.  Best if it's one that you've proven performance on using other devices or computers.  So if your mobile device scores much higher, do Sean's hotspot idea.  If you don't see any limiting affect on the hotspot you can be pretty sure the other connection is just running poorly.