Poor Quality Installation

fikester

What type or grade of coax runs to your Direcway dish?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What type or grade of coax runs to your Direcway dish?

• RG-11
    • RG-6 Quad shield
    • RG-6 Dual shield
    • RG-6 Single shield
    • Installer said it was hi-grade.
    • No idea... it dont really matter.

I got one regular RG 6 cable and one dual quad RG 6 cable. Of course before he started the installation he tried to get me to upgrade the lines to the dual quad cable for a extra fee. Then when he started running the lines he found out he did not have enough of the regular RG 6 cable so i got one cable of the dual quad for free.

I have one of each on my system the standard cable says Laser DVC RG6 coaxial cable 16 AWG 75 OHM 2.25 OHMz.

The other cable says it is a Digital Quad sheild RG-6 coaxial cable 18 AWG 75 OHM 2250 MHz.

Hope this helps. Try calling your local electronics supply house and they could probably tell you what to look for on the cable.

I have had Dway back twice to ground system.  The last time he changed all 8 connectors to the correct waterproof type.

I have plain old RG6,  he said quad sheild was not needed.  He also said because my modem had a ground on it I did not need to ground dish??  I explained that is why he was sent back for the 3rd time and if he was sure he should not install per Dway installation directions on page 4 ??

He ran a ground wire!  ~Looser~

I have had Dway back twice to ground system.  The last time he changed all 8 connectors to the correct waterproof type.

I have plain old RG6,  he said quad sheild was not needed.  He also said because my modem had a ground on it I did not need to ground dish??  I explained that is why he was sent back for the 3rd time and if he was sure he should not install per Dway installation directions on page 4 ??

He ran a ground wire!  ~Looser~

Nearly all codes state in the NEC, any equipment mouted on the exterior shall be grounded, this is not an option, ship his ass in to your local building inspector/firemarshall

Here is what DirecWay post about coax specifications: must be Commscope 5729 or equivalent for the transmit side with a run of less than 320ft and Commscope equivalent 5781 for the receive side with less than 420ft run. I know for a fact the coax that came with my free install does not meet Commscope specs http://store.commscope.com/wcsstore/residential/en_US/specsheets/5781.pdf...... DirecWay way rums a higher frequency than the junk coax can handle. Cheap coax does not meet the Commscope specs, and of course the higher the MHz, the cheap has a much greater signal loss. If your having problems and your dish is close to the 100ft mark you may want to check your coax specs.

http://kb.direcway.com/display/2/kb/article.asp?aid=1125&n=2&s=

My installer did not ground the dish at all just installed a grounding block with a wire attached to the transmitter ground screw! I'm sure there are installers who do a great job, but there must be at least 3X as many who just slop their way along....obviously are getting paid. (I'm told its over 200 for a basic install?)

I think a video or DVD along with the equipment would inform most of us how to do it yourself.....my install is almost complete (the way it should have been done the first time by a professional!)