56k-connect to internet-but- no web surfing....

24Kbps

24Kbps: I don't know what os is on this PC so here is a generic solution for IE .In the IE window  even if you get "page not found" select toolsinternet optionsProgramsReset Web Settings.push the reset web settings & reboot. Cholla

24Kbps:Just a place to start: Have you been tweaking the modem on this PC too? If so go back to your origional string

temporarily.Does your Outlook Express  work?If you use it.If you tweaked start from the last thing you tweaked & work backwards till the last time it was working.If you don't already do this you should keep notes on your tweaks all of the steps.

On paper or print them so if you have a bad crash you have some info if you can't access it on your PC.I know this is like homework but sometimes very helpful.If you can't trace it back you could try Scanreg /restore to a registry when it was working.This should Take out any tweaks that were entered in the registry after that.The only problem with this is it will not always use the older restore.But you can try it if it doesn't work it won't hurt any thing it just won't fix anything either.

Cholla

24Kbps: System restore sometimes doesn't work all that well.try these 2 things if you can reinstall the Sygate program,reboot,see if this corrected your problem.If it did not correct the problem uninstall it again,reboot & see if that corrected the problem. Suggestion 2 do a scanreg /restore this is different than system restore.I am not sure exactly how to do this in XP but try this.Start button Run scanreg /restore. all you have to type in the run box is  scanreg /restore  just like it is here. Follow the windows directions to restart from the box that comes up.Once in the scanreg /restore screen select a registry backup from when the system was working correctly.& hope that it will do this sometimes it will tell you it can't.If it doesn't work just exit the scanreg screen .  Cholla

I'm sorry, but I have to ask this question...24kbs...How "computer savvy" are you?

My point being is this...If you really don't know what you're doing...then don't start making changes you won't know how to undo!  :roll:

Mind you, I've (myself , I learn by correcting mistakes) learned a great deal just by fixing the things (settings) I've really screwed up on my computer... (I don't recommend this way of learning unless you like to re-format your Hard Drive alot, or re-install image drive backups...lol)

Example: (As for the questions you ask) You keep asking "where do I put these settings for CableNut?"

If you took the time to read the "FAQ" on the CableNut website, you wouldn't have to ask that question...(If all else fails, read directions first)  ;)

I don't know, I could be completely mistaken on this...but it looks like you're just getting in deeper and deeper...

I just would like to know if you "really know" what you're doing when you go it and start making changes...

You're problem sounds like it might be in admin services...but at this point, I wouldn't recommend you go in there at all!!! (You don't want to turn on or off anything in there if you don't know "exactly" what it does and what other services it effects)

Also...There is quite a bit  of difference between OS 98SE and XP...so what may work on the 98, may not apply at all on XP.... :?

MUff!N: this is off subject but I like your new sig better The old one made me feel like it was gathering info on me.

I would like to know too Are you a real Newbie 24kbs .we don't mind helping if you are but you might want to slow down on the tweaking until you read a little more.Otherwise you are going to have to reinstall It looks like you're getting close to that know.  Cholla

Then I really suggest you do "A LOT" more studying ...about windows and it's operational systems...the more you know the better off you'll be!  ;)

If you get in to the (unknown zone) too far, you'll be in real trouble in no-time flat... :-|

The first things I would learn is, What not to do! (The registry is a big no no for beginners)

Second, I would learn more about trouble shooting software issues...(This will give you a lot more insight into where to start looking to solve your problems)

I'm by no means an expert...but I do know enough to stay out of areas I know nothing about...

First, Always try to find the answer for a problem by yourself ... Microsoft's Knowledge base is a good place to start...

(you're more likely to remember the solution to a particular problem  if you fixed it yourself)

Ok guys...

Here is the Problem with my Brothers computer(Dell Dimension 4500 running Windows XP)

His norton Anti virus expired... and he didnt have a Firewall so i downloaded SYGATE(I heard it was a good FW)anyways

after i dl'ed it.. i clicked it and was ready to install it... right when i clicked it.. it said error...so i deleted it(Note: SYGATE didnt install so i couldnt have put the Internet on a lock)after i deleted it.. i got off the internet for about 10-15 mins.. then i went back on and it wouldnt let me surf the web... download anything... or go on AIM...so thats when i started getting lost...because I didnt know how this happened

i know enough about computers not to mess with the registry or System32 Files(I learned that lesson when i first got my computer:P)

OK...24kbs... :-|

His norton Anti virus expired... and he didn't have a Firewall so i downloaded SYGATE

Did you bother to "Completely" uninstall Norton Before trying to install Sygate?

AntiVirus and or Firewall programs don't like each other when they're not made by the same company...(I'm sure this is by design)

Sounds to me like you've got some MAJOR incompatibilities between some programming on the computer... :-| 

The first thing I would do is...

1.Uninstall Norton.

2. Uninstall Sygate...then reboot...

3. Now, reinstall Sygate and see if the problem remains...

(Whatever you do, Do NOT connect the the Internet without Security in place!!!!!)

Recent studies have shown that a un-protected computer that connects to the internet is infected with Trojans and viruses within minutes of the connection!  :shock:

Here's a quick easy tip that I want you to remember...I put the main words of your question (Norton  Internet Security Wont Uninstall)&(A Norton internet security account supervisor access MUST be logged in to Uninstall this Product)  in google an in .03 secs got this result...Try this first....It answers all your questions on "how to" that you asked here..

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/docid/2004101207033236?Open&src=&docid=2003111409501936&nsf=nip.nsf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

(Make sure to "READ" the information they provide on this page before using a utility that they have to uninstall their product!)

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606

There are many articals on "How to remove Norton" in general on the Internet...

I remember I had to use the utility that norton provides to remove their anitvirus...(haven't used norton for security since...I use Kaspersky)

chill dude i dont know much about comps....

Hmmm...I thought that was why I was trying to help you... :-|

But, if you don't want any constructive Ideas and just want a quick fix...then I suggest calling a service tech out to fix the problem at $100 an hr... :roll:

Hi  24Kbps: Before the last 2 posts MUff!N I think found your problem or at least part of it.Read the Norton link & follow the instructions.At least before you give up & reinstall.The problem with reinstalling is you lose all of your extra programs & have to reinstall all of them.This is not too bad if you have them backed up on disk.Because if you want a really clean install you need to format first.BUT DON,T DO THIS WITH OUT THE FOLLOWING:A full installation disk or if you have an update disc you need the full instalation disk it updated;if you have a restore disk( probably a ghost clone) then it should do a clean install after a format.

Hi MUff!N: I think that  24Kbps Is probably just young(& I'm old enough to call him young) & has the impatence that comes with that.He's had so many suggestions he can't remember them all nothing is working & he's frustrated with the whole mess.Especially since it is his brothers computer that has the real problem.  24Kbps doesn't say why his brother isn't working on his own computer.But at least he's smart enough to ask for help & thats more than I can say I was.I'm still learning all the time. Cholla